1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where's the new Afterdawn?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by KillerBug, Oct 24, 2009.

1. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Back in summer, it seemed that the new afterdawn format was right around the corner, some MODs even said that certain problems and issues would be ignored untill the redesign, as it was right around the corner. What happened? Not that I have any problem with the current format...but the glitches and issues still exist, and if the redesign will fix them or allow them to be fixed, then I would welcome it.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

we mods got a taste of it the past couple of days. drd asked us for input on any problems trying it out.

3. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

I can't wait to get my hands on the new afterdawn, looks very slick. The only problem/suggestion I have is to have a larger hardware section/list.

For example, I've been wanting to write a review on my receiver (Pioneer VSX-72TXV) for quite some time now, I even submitted spec/info of it into the hardware section and can't find it. Don't get me wrong, I'm a happy camper, but I wouldn't mind seeing a larger hardware section added on in the future.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  4. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

...it looks good too!

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Oh stop it Scott, you're making me jealous! :p

*wave*

6. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

We have launched the new version on our Finnish side already. It is still somewhat "beta" and our intention is to polish the bugs off and also add couple of new features here and there before launching the English version of "v4". But meanwhile, you can browse through our Finnish side to get the idea on how it'll look and behave:

Finnish AfterDawn.com
    Finnish forums

EDIT: As with all major updates, the v4 update received very mixed feedback from people, but now, after couple of weeks, even the people with strongest opposition to the change, seem to have hd a change of heart. Partly due getting used to the new style, partly - of course - due fixes and improvements made after the initial launch.

Hardest thing to get used to was to adopt the new fixed-width style. But after reasoning this change (one being that 22" and 24" monitors are getting more and more popular and most people keep their browsers full-screen -- reading articles in that way is a horrible experience, as the lines get too long), most people have also adopted that change quite well.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  7. dRD

Unfortunately we haven't been able to accept your spec submission yet, as we don't have section for receivers yet. However, for the Spring 2010, our intention is to boost our hw section's coverage significantly -- media tanks, NAS, receivers, amps, loudspeakers, etc. But as we want to spec the new section "properly", it'll take some time. And now, we're swamped with the above-mentioned "v4" project. Our intention is to launch English version before holidays -- and that's only "version 4.0" and our work is already laid down for "4.1" and "4.2" that'll take several months. Full revamp of "my", possible integration of the site with OpenID and Facebook logins, etc are in those 4.1 and 4.2 lists, among tons of other things.

8. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I went over and had a look this morning, and I think the overall feel is nice - quite slick, fresh and modern.

The forums have been stripped down to the bones graphically speaking, and at first I wasn't too sure; they seem to have lost a bit of character, if that makes sense. Will get used to it I suppose. Maybe the introduction of avatars (even if not user defined, group based maybe) would liven up the page a bit - although I know you're not a fan, it just looked a little too bare as is.

I like the new reply box, and it'll also solve that age-old problem of being able to look at the latest replies whilst typing. The little widgety type buttons at the bottom of the page are neat - not something I would have use for personally, but they're a nice touch.

The favicon has changed :O, the logo looks to have been spruced up a bit, and there are some neat little coding bits like the new quoting system; the login box. My Finnish is hardly great, so haven't really had a proper look at other stuff apart from profiles which looks nice.

Want to give an old Addict a poke around? *chuckle*

Good to see things coming into shape anywho :)

Edit: I don't understand why there is a "Post new thread" type button on the index page? Unless I'm missing something. Also, when I click in to it, the BB code instructions etc are in English at the bottom - shouldn't they be Finnish?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  9. dRD

We might add some color and bells&whistles to the forums later, to spice it up a little. But the focus has been on two things:

1) Usability. This can be seen in various things -- we've tried to fix several problems we've noticed (using site analytics and also the feedback we receive to our support inbox):

-tons of people keep asking "how do i post a question". Now, there's a link for that in the top navigational area and also there's a separate button for that in almost every possible page.

-similarly, people seem to be lost on how to reply to thread. As the reply box is now visible at all times, it should be quite obvious on how to do it.

-furthermore, you can't see it, when you're logged in, but we now allow people to post questions and replies even _before_ they sign up. You can post a question/reply with a temp nick and your email address only. However, those posts wont be visible until you validate your credentials, by clicking a link sent to your email. Thus, the mandatory registration is sorta turned upside down -- previously, you had to register first. Now, you can register later. Reasoning being that once you have already "contributed" something by posting to forums, you have higher motivation to get it visible. Whereas requiring registration first might turn down many people who might have the answer to a particular question, but can't be bothered to register first.

-top navigation. This allows you to jump from forum to forum much more easily than in the previous layout.

2) Speed. Site should render now dramatically faster, as we've tried to make the layout much more lightweight and have also inherited tons of "best practices" for building the page (for example, load JavaScript, stylesheets and ads _after_ the page itself has already loaded). This is more evident for new users, people who don't have anything in their cache yet. Which hopefully improves "return rate" of users, as people remember the site as "the site that was nice to use".

Yep, we've finally started to use modern web technologies, like AJAX. But only in places where it really makes sense (no AJAX just for the sake of it).

Like said earlier, one of the most common question we get to our support is "how do i post a new question?". That should be solved now :)

Yep, tons of little things still to be fixed..

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  10. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Yeah all understandable - wasn't "nit picking", just commenting :) It's good work and good to see aD get a proper site-wide update!

Will have to make sure I'm around some more to see how stuff goes over here on the UK domain.

11. dRD

And I wasn't implying that you did so, just wanted to give a thorough answer about the layout and its changes :)

Have to agree, 6 years with the same layout is darn long time..

12. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Will be interesting to see what you do with the "my" section in 4.1/2 next year :)

I was going to make a suggestion for the additions after v4 is properly rolled out (considering you've taken to using some much nicer java/ajax coding), in which when you edit a post it'd be neat to have an in-thread/in-post editor as opposed to being taken to an "old-style" reply page to make your changes in.

This would fit in-keeping with the 'making everything easier to do on the same page' kind of thing, IMO. Especially as preview is also very swish already. I realise this isn't the best place, but now I have your attention :)

13. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Meh, sorry for the double post. I was also thinking about whether a proper mobile version of the forums/site is going to be developed? A few ideas come to mind, as I'm sat here typing on my smartphone, but im just curious :)

14. dRD

We'll start tackling that issue probably sometime late Spring 2010. Problem with smartphone version is that we have to create 2-4 different versions -- barebone version for the ancient bulk phones, bit more elegant version for slightly more developed phones and one for near-desktop-capable phones, like iPhone, N97, N900 and HTC Hero.

15. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Of course. I mean I had no trouble really browsing the new layout (Fin) on my HTC Magic - the Hero has multi-touch and flash, but otherwise a similar browser.

The login/quote system all worked, quick reply box is a bit of a pain because it scrolls as you type and seemed to have a habit of unselecting the quick reply box, but hopefully shouldn't have to lose too many features in the mobile version, just easier to use :)

Btw, I noticed you can re-size the quick reply box which is useful!

16. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

"Hardest thing to get used to was to adopt the new fixed-width style. But after reasoning this change (one being that 22" and 24" monitors are getting more and more popular and most people keep their browsers full-screen -- reading articles in that way is a horrible experience, as the lines get too long), most people have also adopted that change quite well."

The only problem is when you are running windows 7, and you drag the afterdawn window to one side of the desktop...I had hoped that the new AD would adjust to this, and not require so much left-to-right and back scrolling...I see no change was made here.

As for the mobile version of AD, I would rather just have the simple version, even on something like the Droid...but that might just be me.