1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An error occurred. Press and hold POWER to turn the system off, then follow the instructions in the system’s Operations Manual.

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by jestah57, Apr 1, 2010.

1. jestah57

jestah57 Regular member

I have a DSi which was just upgraded to 1.4U, and an R4i which has 1.09b on it. Just to day when I go to load the R4i, I get this message:

An error occurred. Press and hold
    POWER to turn the system off,
    then follow the instructions in
    the system’s Operations Manual.

the 1.4 firmware was loaded AFTER i started getting this message as someone told me to try that. The R4i was on 1.09 for some time, and worked previously. The system was sitting for a while, but was protected and well kept. Everything else on the DSi seems to work fine, just not the R4. Sadly though, i do not have another card to test it with (no games or anything), to see if it is the port/system that is no good, but I do hope its a software issue and NOT hardware!

Anyone have any suggestions or seen this before or anything? Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  2. waytoobig

waytoobig Regular member

It has been widely recommend that you dont upgrade your dsi firmware to 1.4 as it blocks most flashcards...

Very few R4i's can be updated, you will need to go to the website you bought it from to see if the cards firmware can be updated (this is different to the firmware that is on the SD card) the updater will be a special update file (.nds) which will flash the actual R4 cards memory and make the DSi think that its a proper game and wont block it.

3. penguin98

penguin98 Regular member

Just adding that, for cards that update from an .nds file, you need to update the card BEFORE updating the DSi. So even if this is an R4i that can be updated you'll need to track down a DS lite or DSi with earlier firmware to update it.

I could be wrong on this part but AFAIK the only DSi cart with an external updater is the M3i Zero. It has a small port to connect to the PC via USB and can be updated that way.

4. jestah57

jestah57 Regular member

This problem arose before I updated anything. I have a regular R4i, so I doubt that card can be updatedas you say. But I'll look into it. My main concern is that this is NOT a DSi hardwrae issue that will require repair/replacement of the system. I have no problems buying another R4i, or Acekard...(Are those acekards the best for the DSi?).

But again, the fact that I went up to 1.4 most likely rendered my R4i useless anyway right, until some kinda patch/hack comes out?

Oh well, no professor layton for me for a while Iguess...