1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ffmpeg keeps crashing in WinFF - not CPU

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by katia04, Jan 10, 2011.

1. katia04

katia04 Member

I'm new to all this forum posting, so I hope I'm putting this in the right place. I am trying to convert an .flv video to ipod format (I think it's m4v, but WinFF just says itunes). What's odd is that I am able to convert these files to .mp3's, but cannot convert them to .m4v's.
    Anyway, when I tried to convert them to .m4v's, I got a pop-up message from Windows 7 saying that "ffmpeg.exe has stopped working" but nothing specific happened in WinFF except "C:\Program Files <x86>\WinFF>pause". I tried uninstalling, deleting all associated files, rebooting, and reinstalling to no effect. I've also tried videora but get the same result: ffmpeg crashes. As suggested by some forums, I've checked CPU usage, but it never gets above 75% when I try to convert (I should add it goes nowhere; I get the error message before anything happens), and my computer doesn't overheat or anything. I read that there are some legal issues with WinFF, so I tried installing an earlier version, but the same thing happened.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Try AviDemux.
    Load/drag the file into AviDemux.
    Select 'Auto' >'Apple' and one of the iPod settings.

Click 'File' > 'Save' > 'Save video' and give the new file a name, including the extension; e.g. newfile.mp4

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  3. katia04

katia04 Member

Thank you so, so much for your help! It crashed the first time but after that it was fine, and the video is now on my ipod and plays well. Thank you again!
    -Katia