1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for starter VEditor for special tasks

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by richardcb, Oct 19, 2012.

1. richardcb

richardcb Member

Being a newbie in video editing I don't know the terminology for what I want to do.

I want to create teaching videos that while I teach, the image switches to either a graphic image or secondary video, while maintaining the existing audio track.

1. Is there a special terminology for this?
    2. Is there a cheap/free software package that can do this?

I would prefer to start with a FREE version as I am not even sure what is involved in doing this process and if it is too complex I may not even want to do this and don't want to waste money on something I end up not using.

Thanks,

Richard..

2. richardcb

richardcb Member

I am using Windows 7

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Fortunately this is just about as simple an operation as you could be attempting so just about any video editor should do the job. I'd recommend trying out VideoPad: http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html

There are 2 versions, one free and one payware. Download the trial version and it will simply revert to the free one when the trial ends. If you want to use any kind of effects for the transitions I think you need to pay for it to keep those. Otherwise the free version should work just fine.

I don't use it myself but I've tried it out in the past so I should be able to help you out with basic questions. I can also help out answering basic questions about the steps involved and should be able to at least point you in the right direction.

As to the terminology, it sounds like you need to demux (separate the video and audio) from one file, edit the video to replace portions of it from one or more other videos and then remux (combine) the new video with the original audio.