1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making a Multi-Movie DVD with a simple menu assistance

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by jsbihn, Jun 22, 2013.

1. jsbihn

jsbihn Member

Hi all,
    I am trying to do the following.
    I would like to take my movies that are in .ISO format and burn them onto a disk which can be used in a simple DVD player. While doing that, I would also like to make a contents menu at the beginning of the disk to allow me to pick the movie I want to watch easily.

Ie. I have 5 movies on the disk. I load it into the DVD player and it loads up a Main Menu that says:
    1) <name of movie #1>
    2) <name of movie #2>
    3) <name of movie #3>
    4) <name of movie #4>
    5) <Name of movie #5>

and I just scroll up or down the choices, press enter to select and the movie starts playing.

does anyone know of the best way to convert .ISO into a format able to accomplish this on disk while also anyone know of a way of making this menu I am talking about.
    Thanks

2. attar

attar Senior member

What's the typical size of one iso file and what's the total running time of all the iso files.
    Do the movies have existing menus.
    The VIDEO_TS folder would have to be extracted from the .iso file using the likes of 7zip or similar.

A standard blank can handle a little over 3 hours running time - so that has to be kept in mind when adding the movies to the project - DL disks, double that.

If I was doing it I would use AVStoDVD.

3. jsbihn

jsbihn Member

Attar,
    The average size varies (2-4GB). All of the ISOs have been ripped, stripped and shrunk. So it is just the movie itself and nothing else that originally came with it. If I click on the ISO to play on my computer, it immediately starts the movie. So there are no pre-existing menus or anything left in this ISO except the movie itself.

Basically what I would like to do is put some movies on a DVD and create a menu so when the DVD is inserted into the played and the disk is loaded, the first thing to pop up will be a menu. You scroll and click on the menu item, and it loads up the movie and plays it on a regular DVD player.

So just wondering what would be the best format to convert it to.... and then what would be the best way to establish this menu on the dvd
    (I use for my software DVDfab and DVDshrink and I think I am fairly proficient in using this software)

Thanks

4. attar

attar Senior member

You have to get the VIDEO_TS folder out of the ISO.
    Then, if you use AVStoDVD, you would select the .IFO of the main title - in this case I assume VTS_01_0.IFO
    Repeat for the next folder until the indicator (lower right) fills the default space (SD or DL disk) without going into the red.

Click on the top menu 'DVD' to select the default disk size.
    'Preferences' to choose between PAL and NTSC etc.
    'Menu' to select the layaout.

There are default settings to reuse mpeg2 compliant video/audio (which your iso will be)without re-encoding.
    Selecting the .ifo file ensures that the chapter settings are preserved.

I always save the output to a folder and test the menu using MPC before burning.

5. jsbihn

jsbihn Member

Ok, so I have the knowledge to extract the file... and I assume Attar you are saying the best format would be to put it into a mpeg2 file?
    So all of that should be covered.... so now I am missing how I put up a menu to run each of these movies

6. attar

attar Senior member

Once the files have been loaded into AVStoDVD, click 'DVD Menu' and select the format you want, then 'Run Editor' to adjust the layout and the names you want to give the Titles.