1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please suggest universal avi converter software

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by jopsik, Jul 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jopsik

jopsik Member

Please suggest a universal video format converter to avi. There are many different format video clips (mp4, wmv, mkv, mov, flv) which I must for archive compatibility convert to some standard video.

There are many commercial shareware product, which claim to convert everything but I have tried and in fact no one doesn't seem to be fully functional. To tell the truth - these often feel like scams, trying to sell freeware.

Please share your experiences and suggest some software names - free or shareware.

Thank you.

2. Russ2

Russ2 Member

Video to Video it is freeware get it at videohelp.com

3. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i found dvdflick converts from avi to dvd and is free.
    i use dvd fab to convert from dvd to avi.

4. Funnyday

Funnyday Member

I don't know if you finally found a right converter.Ideed,there are many good software that can solve your problem.

Free ones:
    Factory Format/Any Video Converter

Not Free:
    WonderFox DVD Video Converter/DVD Fab

5. walterchalie

walterchalie Member

I highly appreciate MacX Video Converter Free Edition. It is free and supports a load of input and output formats.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  6. zomac

zomac Newbie

7. TekPete

TekPete Member

I use DeGo Video Converter. I've been searching for years for software to convert .rm files to a format that's compatible with Pinnacle Studio, recently I found DeGo. It took several attempts to find the right settings but I got there in the end; the AVI conversion wasn't compatible at all, another issue with Pinnacle is the 25 fps frame rate. In the end I converted to MPEG, I was also able to convert .3gp file as well. I converted three files altogether.

I don't know what limitations there are; ie number of conversions and file lengths, one of the files I converted is about 43 minutes long.

I don't know if it will work for you but it worked for me.

The software is free to download. I tried to send a donation but every time I click "Donate" it just reloads the page. I'm between jobs at the moment so I don't have much spare cash but I'd be happy to send them a few $Dollars. Oh well.

BTW: Avoid Aimersoft - it's worse than useless. I wasted a lot of time installing that piece of 5H1TE on my system.

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

check thread start date before replying the OP posted this a year ago

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

especially as the poster never replied back to any of the posts.

10. TekPete

TekPete Member

You are saying if a post is more than ten months old it doesn't deserve an answer. If AD think that the thread is too old then they have the option to close it or remove it. At the moment that question is near the top of the page so appears to the casual observer to be fairly new. If these old posts were removed I suspect that there would be no posts on here at all.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  11. TekPete

TekPete Member

There could be many reasons why the original poster never replied; maybe none of the suggested software was any good.

Perhaps they lost their login details. Maybe they gave up PCs and went over to The Dark Side (Apple Macs). Perhaps they didn't set up notifications for replies and forgot all about AD. Perhaps they are no longer around.

We should give people the benefit of the doubt.

A lot of the time my answers aren't aknowledged; should I stop posting answers as a way of getting my own back?

Anyway other people may read the thread and find my answer useful. As a staff member you should know this.

As a staff member perhaps you can explain this to me: I've recently been awarded a trophy to celebrate my first anniversary on here and yet I Joined Jul 27 2003 (although the earliest post I can find from me seems to be Feb 26 2005) so I should have 11 trophys (if it's one for each year) or there should be a trophy for my 5th and another for my 10th anniversary. My God; how did those 10 years pass by so easily?

12. ddp

it is not the number of yrs as i've been here since oct 2004 & have 98 trophy points wereas scorpnz has been here since mar 2005 & has 48 points?

13. TekPete

TekPete Member

14. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

threads get bumped when replied too is why it got near top,in the end if the OP had bothered to web search or forum search they would've have found the question answered many times over already & there was no need for this topic to begin with

15. TekPete

TekPete Member

Until I picked this up there were five replies; I don't consider that number large enough to "bump" it into the top 12 and there are some posts higher up that have less replies.

I've already suggested some reasons why the original poster never returned.

Why do you think there was no need for the topic? There is clearly a need for video conversion software - I spent some considerable time trying to find one that would convert some video files to a format that could be opened in Pinnacle Studio. I gave my opinion on the one that I eventually found that worked for me. At the time I looked on here and there was nothing.

16. ddp

& the op has still not replied in almost a year so obviously does not need it or got the software somewhere else but never told us so. thread is now closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.