1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Hauppauge 1212 PVR produce file directly to external HDD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by lbeck, Jan 20, 2011.

1. lbeck

lbeck Member

I'm considering purchasing a Hauppauge 1212 PVR to record HD material from my Dish VIP722 DVR. My home theater setup with the DVR and TV is on one floor of my home and my computer is on the another. My computer is where my bluray burner and HD editing software (Pinnacle Studio 14) reside. The Hauppauge PVR presumably outputs through its USB port.

My question is whether the Hauppauge unit produces a file that I can record to an external HDD (I have several) and carry to the computer for editing. Needing to buy a 50' USB cable may be a deal-breaker for me.

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

your capture program will save files anywhere you tell it to.. computers 101 needed ;)

I'm guessing you will need a computer to plug the device into tho.. running a capture program.. not just a usb hdd...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  3. lbeck

lbeck Member

Thanks. I'm thinking that a computer is needed. That means that I'll need to drag my computer downstairs to capture the video then hook everything up again upstairs to do the edit/burn DVD. If that works, I may try buying 50' component cables and hope that there's not too much signal loss.

4. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Should be ok with composite video and audio cables over that distance.. as long as they are decent quality.. you will find it's cheaper to make your own to the length you need.. off the shelf quality tends to be 250% more than better grade cable and plugs you assemble yourself... plus you can deal with things like not using the cable screen to carry signal by using balanced cable and only grounding the shield at one end, even decoupling it from ground and the signal carrying part of the circuit entirely by using RF bypass capacitors ;)

It all depends on the electrical noise level in the locality how far you need to go..

usb is pushing it at more than about 20 feet.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  5. lbeck

lbeck Member

Thanks.

I contacted Hauppauge support and like you they suggested not lengthening the USB cable.

I bought a 50 ft. length of composite cable from TigerDirect and it works fine.

So I believe my questions and concerns are now complete.

Thanks again.