1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dont buy LG monitors!

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by bigo93, Nov 18, 2010.

1. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

Please watch this video if you are thinking about buying an LG monitor.

You can see from this that the case forces our the cables and, in my case any way, has not only bent my HDMI cable's connector, but the socket is now broken as well.

If this has happened to you please make a comment on the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6exTHsqt3w

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i broke an av cable in an old 58cm hitachi tv.also my brother has had 3 LG computer moniters.2 were replacements for the original that broke after 1 month.Think hes using a samsung now which hes had for about a year.apparently the screen on the LG moniters dies within 1-3months.

3. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

LG is just for people that care about looks and think these are good products while in fact they are plain garbage (kinda like almost anyone that constantly buys Apple products - I can't really explain it, it's just the mentality that these type of people have. You know the type of people that constantly update their facebook status, text 24/7, spend $50+ at starbucks, the type of "fake (self loving) personalities" we seem to see a lot today). LG has never made a quality phone, their monitors are utter crap. I have to admit their TV's have gotten better, but they still don't even compare to the quality of Pioneer, Samsung and Panasonic. My brother went through 3 LG phones and 1 TV cause they kept breaking, yet he KEEPS buying into it for some stupid reason. LG = Like Garbage

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

What a crock of Shitake mushrooms. I happen to have a 23" Flat Iron LG monitor I stole almost from new egg. Over two years old (The Dell monitor LCD made 13 mo.) and works like a charm not a pixel out. I'm also not on Facebook, have texting disabled, and have never set foot in a Starbucks, we have better local coffees-we prefer coffee not coffee milk with our beignets -LOL. My wife also choose an LG 42" LCD and iPhone, I opted for the Sammy LCD for me. Just because you know someone that has had trouble in the past with a brand, doesn't usually mean everyone does/will. I try to stay away from anything $ony because of over priced (to me inferior) product, but they seem to be doing ok also. Apple is sure making a lot of greenbacks on phones and you name it, cause they seem to invent it first! JM2C

5. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

It doesnt matter which brean makes the monitor, noone can honestly say that cables should bent like that, especially the DVI cable, did you see the bend on that almost a 90 degree bent right at the connector!

As I sad I am guessing the dvi has not broken yet due to the fact that it is screwed into the port, unlike the hdmi.

6. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

One of the problems that's hurting the situation is the cable seems a bit shorter than it should be. Thus there is no length of cable hanging down to take stress off the connector-it turns back up immediately. The wire doesn't look flexible either. The weight of the wire by itself should not cause the connector to pull out. But the lateral force of the wire turning up, over time, sure could.

7. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

A valid point but I believe you are talking about the cable currently on the monitor. If you watch further I show the cable that has been broken and it has plenty of length, so much I had to tie some of it up.

8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I went back and watched the video again. I still maintain the the HDMI cable is too short. You should have enough length so that the cable makes a longer downward swoop and bigger curve upward. The fact that the HDMI insert is bent, shows the receptacle has remained in is position in the monitor firm enough that the cable pressure actually bent the HDMI connector. On the video cord the wire is just bent away from the monitor. I see no damage. A flashlight might have been used to show if there were real damage the the monitor where cables were inserted. I bet if you laid the monitor flat the plug receptacles would look fine. And since you seem to be still using it, what's the beef. Almost every wire coming out the back of my pc and accessories is bent down, if the plug was horizontal.

The only thing you're complaining about is bent wires. Stationary female receptacles don't cause male insert wires to bend. Weight of the cable (gravity) and lateral and upward forces do that. I will give you credit on design. The plugs could come out horizontally, BUT it would be a bitch to mount on a wall. I have been using cheap 6' HDMI cables without problem from here:
    http://www.firefold.com/High-Speed-HDMI-Cables-C1560.aspx Good luck. ):

9. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

Again I am not talking about the cable that is connected to the monitor. Yes this one is short, but this is not the one that broke the socket.

Now the cable I am talking about is the one with the grey and blue connector, and you can see it's a longer cable compared to the one that's connected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6exTHsqt3w&t=2m37s here I said I had to tie up the broken cable because is was too long! The cable is 2m long, clearly plenty long enough to not give any external stress.

And no the HDMI socket does not work, I lose the signal half the time. Which is why I am pissed off with this monitor.

10. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Okay I believe you, but LG is sure not going to make things right again. Companies don't do that anymore. Just look how long Toyota took to own up and I'm not sure they have completely. I think they have a computer problem with brakes. So you got a lemon. I got my share of $ony lemons. It's a wonder LG's goons haven't showed up at your door per being posted on youtube! I'd still buy my LG monitor again tho. BTW you're going to buy a few more lemons in life- you got a ways to go. I do hope you get your problem fixed.

11. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

I'm just warning other ppl to be careful, or to not buy these monitors. They've already lost 3 sales that I can confirm so far. So I wanna spread the video and see how many reply.

12. aldan

aldan Active member

have to agree with garmoon.nothing i can see wrong with lg monitors.ive had my flatron widescreen for 4 years now and not one problem.

13. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

They seem reliable enough here as well .. I have only had 1 come through for a blown inverter .. lots of other brands arrive on a weekly basis.

14. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

No the problem is that people are not watching or listening to the video, or even reading the current comments!

Read both my previous comment on this thread and the comments on the video!
    And no noone is intersted in selling ebooks in this thread or forum section!

15. aldan

aldan Active member

au contraire mon frere,i have looked at the video and dont really see a problem.you were advised that the hdmi cable was tied too short and you seem to have ignored that advice.the concensus here seems to be that for the most part lg seems a decent monitor.maybe it is you who should look closer at the threads.

16. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

No it was not tied too short, first of all noone sees how it was connected when it was connected to the monitor. You are simple jumping to a conclusion that it hangs like the one shown in the video, which is a short cable.

When it was connected to the monitor, the excess was laying on the desk. So as stated the stresses a few people keep bringing up do not apply.

And thank you for trying to sound clever, but you failed.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  17. aldan

aldan Active member

ok you seem to be an authority on this.so lg monitors are shit.why belabor a point when you have your mind made up.are you searching for approval here or do you want to hear what other people think?take care,i think you need to.

18. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

bigo93
    You're still at it I see. The monitor can't be that bad. Going on 2 months later. If it's so bad, buy a different brand or go back to CRTs-cheaply- until the perfect flat screen is made. It seems you are the only one in this thread with the biased opinion.

19. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

Yes it is biased, but noone can approve of the amount of bending the cables are put through on these style monitors, even when the cable is pointing down.

Most ppl will be using the dvi socket and yet the space given for the dvi calble just isnt enough.

Maybe seeing a video of this does not help much. How about going down to your local electronics store and if they have one on display have a look at the cables. or ask if you can try to attach a dvi cable to it. Just make sure its the stlye as shown in teh video, you cant compare it to the ones where the socket is perpendicular and so the cable sticks out rather than down

20. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

The bend is minor at best for the amount of space you have i see no issue regardless size or length of cable or whether it all drapes down with full weight,we have no way to determine what movement is occuring with monitor placement,or shite hdmi cable or faulty graphic card output since it appears you have not tested either to determine cause,you make no mention of damaged female hdmi port which suggests there is none so then it's left to a failed component nothing more,the fixed style cables can be bent at 90 degrees or curved vertically or horizontally in less than 2.5 inches of space,if you thought the amount of bend wasn't right you'd take steps to take any or as much pressure off as possible,which it appears you did as the coil of cable was on the desk,my advice get a swivel connection style hdmi cable

unsubscribed