1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I connect my HDTV to my computer?

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by cucuzza, Jan 6, 2011.

1. cucuzza

cucuzza Member

I'm trying to connect my HDTV to my computer to use as a second monitor. The HDTV is a Westinghouse 32" LCD (Widescreen LCD TV LTV-32W1). I've connected it to my computer using a DVI cable. Each end of the DVI cable is a male connector, one that plugs in to my video card (NVIDIA 9500GS) and one that plugs into the back of my TV. Every time I try to set up multiple monitor display, my computer's monitor goes black and says "PC resolution out of range, please set to recommended setting of 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz). This is the resolution my monitor has always been in. It is my understanding that the resolution of a 32" 720p tv is 1280 x 720, fully within my PC resolution's range. My TV says "no signal" though my DVI is securely plugged in.

What am I doing wrong? How do I enable the DVI port so I can connect to the HDTV as a monitor? My computer monitor is being connected by VGA. How can I make this work?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  2. alter5

alter5 Member

Try to extend your desktop and then you can set different resolution to every monitor.