1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1500 budget

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by g0ds360, Feb 14, 2011.

1. g0ds360

g0ds360 Member

looking to build a new pc after my computer die on me like last week. I want to build a computer that will be able to keep up with my 47in samsung hdtv. i do play computer games at times so it will need to be fast. I also do alot of picture and sometimes video editing. I no i want an ssd for my main drive and it will need to be able to run a raid setup so everything it always backed once its written.

2. andmill11

andmill11 Regular member

Is that $1500USD?

That seems like a bit much for what you are asking for.

3. g0ds360

g0ds360 Member

yes that's USD. Wow really think thats too much? I was thinking about buy an alienware but was told it will be cheaper to build. I was real big into computer games at one point then just stopped and now that crysis 2 will be out for xbox360 i will be getting it for that. I was thinking about 1 SSD and 2 HD an dvd/blu ray burner and reader with a card reader as well. As for cases i had my i on two of them the Antec Twelve Hundred V3 and AZZA Solano 1000. I was told to go with intel's I7 cpu but from reading alot of the new post on here seems it would be over kill.

4. andmill11

andmill11 Regular member

I'm going to let someone who is a bit more knowledgeable help you out with hardware choices. But buying alienware is usually a bad idea. Are you getting crysis 2 for the PC or xbox360? The 360 version is going to be running at a gimped resolution and will look terrible compared to what you could get with the new gaming PC. Although if you were wanting to run it extremely well you would probably need that $1500.

5. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

Yeah andmill is sounding correct to me. alienware is for people that want a hole in their pocket where cash used to be.
    at the moment i am rooting for amd, but honestly the 2500k seems a good bet from intel. its core i5 and is pretty good, or so i hear. i have a feeling that intel is trying to trump amd's bulldozer before it comes out, but who knows?

raid 0 sounds like what your initially aiming for, which is fast as yak if using the right drives but is no good for redundancy. look into raid 1, or get a dedicated hdd for backuping on. also, *sometimes* a raid 0 array will drop for no discernable reason (at least that i could tell); something to do with alignment i think, maybe someone else can fill you in on that if you want to know. essentially it means you have to rebuild the array if this happens.
    SSD, if i was to get one, i looked at vertex2 from ocz 285 read/275 write, and also g. skill has same specs and around same prices.

gpu is up to you. i use amd 5870 with superb results, but some will tell you its a waste of money since theyve refreshed the lineup with 6xxx series. asus and xfx often come out with better performing editions than vanilla build.

go with compatible ram for the board you pick they have lists or you could just scour review sites and online stores and see what models people have that work well with the board you want. ATX ftw, i say.

corsair has a great selling 750w thats usually around 100-120, i think thats a fair price and so many people have bought and continue to buy that i am pretty sure its not trash. the unit is orange highlights and black metal.

a full tower would definately fit a longer video card and high cpu cooler, but you can get away with even a mid-tower if you are judicious with your placement. and dont forget a good cooler actually, frostytech always has a big list of best performing/quietest coolers for each format.

let us know what you go with and stuff. lator

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  6. g0ds360

g0ds360 Member

I want to do a build on the 15 2500k sandy bridge LGA 1155 but i need to find a mobo. I would rather use a gigabyte mobo but could not find any on Newegg any idea where i can find them.