1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4850 Resolution

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by zblazeLOC, Oct 19, 2009.

1. zblazeLOC

zblazeLOC Guest

I originally had my resolution to something i dont remember but i cleaned my computer out removing the graphics card for cleaning and now the highest my resolution will go is 1024 x 768 which is definetely not what i had it on and it says the max resolution is 1980 x 1080

2. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

Ummmm, how did you clean it? Was the computer turned off off when you removed the card? Was it equally off when you replaced it?

True Story: A ham radio friend of mine got one of the first PCs that came out in the mid-eighties. IBM logo, 5" floppy, big red switch on the side, the Real Deal. One day when he had the cabinet off the computer his intensely non-neutered cat officially and with primal efficiency declared it to be his property.

My friend left the cabinet off, removed all external cables and placed the entire computer in his girlfriend's dishwasher. After two "scrubber" cycles he put it in her oven at the lowest bake setting and left it there for two days. (The second day with the oven door ajar.)

The good news was the computer worked like a charm and certainly looked better. The bad news was it still spelled like a cat had peed in it. So when you say you were going to "clean" you computer I always flash to that story.

Back to the basics, do you still have the drivers disk for the graphics card or can you download them from a web site? Refreshing the firmware in the graphics card might be just what it needs to fix what ails it.

Good luck.

Dick

3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Have you reconnected the external power connector to the graphics card?

If your motherboard has two pci-e slots, try moving the card to the other slot, you may have moved it and the drivers not associated correctly with it in the new slot.

4. zblazeLOC

zblazeLOC Guest

i cleaned it with one of those dust removers, air ina can things, and i put it back in the same pci slot and connected the 6 pin connecter to it. And i also downloaded the drivers from ati's website

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2009
  5. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

OK, time for the basics.. Remove the card and visually check the slot for any bent contacts. Check for any dirt or other foreign matter in the slot. Replace the card and check that it is securely and evenly seated in the slot; that one end isn't higher or lower than the other.

If your PSU has one handy, try a different six-pin power plug. If all else fails (including a complete check of all cables, plugs and connectors) try a different card and be prepared to take nature's hint and buy a new one. :)

Dick

6. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

what monitor make and model are you using?

7. zblazeLOC

zblazeLOC Guest

its an acer 19inch lcd not sure of the exact name, im sure it cant be the gpu messing up because i get all resolutions up to 1024 x 768 but i there are no other options higher and there were way more before i cleaned the computer so there has to be something i can change

8. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Try doing a reset of the monitor, and then do a complete power down, unplug and then reconnect. My monitor gets funny sometimes if I swap the cable over to another system and back, and the only way to sort it is to do a total power off.