1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a computer almost specifically for remote desktop - bad idea?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Symonster, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Symonster

Symonster Newbie

So my laptop is getting too old and I need a new computer. I've always wanted to build a computer, and I've always wanted to have a computer hooked up to my HDTV (as it's main screen).

At the same time, I value the portability of my laptop far too much. Also I assume there are times when I'll want to use the computer while someone else is using the TV.

I'd say a lot of the time, everything I want to do can be done on a simple android tablet, but there are times when I need to use a windows PC.. so my solution to this may seem a little interesting and I was wondering what you all though:

I'd like to use Spashtop 2 or another remote desktop service from a tablet to use a PC built for my television. Will this work to my expectations (photoshop, some light gaming, maybe occasional programming or CAD software) or is this a really stupid idea?

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Graphic cards these days are able to run dual monitors,this will solve the someone is using the tv issue

windows has remote desktop built in from xp onwards,there's team viewer software & others that maybe of use,intel vpro cpu's also have wake up from remote location if necessary,which boots the computer,so that may be somth'n to look at it also means you can shut it down when finished until needed

that's as far as i can go as the closest i've got is using teamviewer from another room just to see what it was like however it was fun