1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Config SSD and 2 WD Caviar Blacks

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by k7vc, Sep 25, 2009.

1. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

I'm dieing to play with RAID1, so I have contrived to obtain one Intel X25 80GB SSD drive and two WD 500GB Caviar Blacks. My plan is to use the SSD for OS/Paging/Scratch and use the two Caviar Blacks in a RAID1 configuration for applications, data and backups.

What is the conventional wisdom for using the X25 SSD for OS and putting two Caviar Blacks into RAID1? I heard a comment from a non-confirmed source that the Caviar Blacks should not be used as RAIDS, but I have not been able to verify that statement.

What say you, Wizards and Daemons of the dark world of disks?

Dick

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Pretty simple to set RAID1 up on a drive that doesn't store your OS, sort out the drivers once you're in windows. Your idea is pretty sound. There are sources that say you can't use WD drives in RAID, but it's a bit of a sneak from WD to get you to buy their RAID edition drives, which you don't need to do. Use the drives in RAID, and if you get any drop-out issues there is a patch you can apply to make the drives 'look' like they're RAID editions. Most people will never get any problems unless a drive is faulty, however, which wouldn't help regardless...

3. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

Do you feel the Intel or Kingston SSD drives are ready for Prime Time? I run a 24/7/365 operation and the idea looks great on paper, but I'm curious about their ability to handle the real world.

Dick

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Intel ones certainly. Personally Intel's is the only MLC SSD I'm willing to suffer, the random performance of the others is pretty dire at the moment due to the controllers.

5. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

Can you point me to the patch? I have searched for it to no avail.

Dick

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

7. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

Thank you. Having worked for computer companies for the majority of my life, I understand how these kinds of marketing schemes work. I can see it from both sides, but I appreciate having the choice.

Dick

8. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

This patch worked on my Intel P45 mobo, but it didn't recognize the controllers on my GB P55 board. Are you aware of a patch that will work for GB P55 boards?

Dick

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As far as I was aware the patch worked for all controllers. Is the S-ATA mode set correctly in the BIOS for that board, and do the drives show up in the system?

10. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

As far as I know. I will give it a third try later this evening and try to document the configuration.

Dick

11. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

Problem continues. I downloaded and installed the latest BIOS and Intel SATA drivers from the GB web site. The POST display lists all three WD drives: one non-RAID Raptor and two Caviar Blacks in RAID-1. The mobo is a GP P55-UD5 with BIOS V.F4

The WDTLER utility which I ran from a boot floppy reports "No disk drives found. The controller may not be supported."

Is it possible the GB BIOS is so paranoid it is somehow keeping the SATA controller from view as a protective measure??

Dick

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've not tried the procedure myself, but I suspect there may be something you have to do to stop the TLER program from 'hiding' the non-RAID edition drives. I have only seen the result of this program for Green drives, not Blacks. In all honesty, you'll almost certainly be fine using blacks in RAID without the TLER utility.

13. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

I used the utility successfully on an almost identical set of non-RAID drives (Raptor and two Caviar Blacks), but it was on an Intel DP45SG mobo with Intel BIOS and the usual P45 chipset. This is my first GB mobo and BIOS (and of course the newer P55).

If you have any contacts at WD it would be interesting to know if they have updated the utility lately.

Thanks for the ideas and good info.

Dick

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unfortunately, I have no affiliation with WD. All I can perhaps suggest is have a look around some other forums - the utility isn't exactly 'freely available'.

15. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

OK. I'll let you know if I run across anything.

Dick

16. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

If you are using onboard RAID anyway, you might as well just use windows to mirror them...it will be a lot less trouble, and will not require any special utilities to void your much-needed WD warantee.

17. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you're going to slag off a brand that hasn't had reliability problems for years, at least get the spelling right :p

Also, I can pretty much sum up the SSD with one expression:
    Intel X25-M Gen2.
    There really is no need to buy anything else.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  19. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

I agree it is lots of reading, but it is fascinating reading!! It has been a year since he started his series and it is almost impossible to keep up with the changes. The SSDs he's testing today are seldom directly compatible to those of last year as the frames of reference become continuously moving targets.

It would be nice to say I think I'll wait until the technology matures, but that may take a very long time as each evolution redefines maturity.

Thanks, Xplorer4, for the fascinating read.

Dick

20. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

Problem solved. WDTLER must be run before the drives are configured as RAID. Once they are under the control of the RAID controller WDTLER won't find them.

Dick