1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i5-2500K 3.3GHz or

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by luke35whelan, Jul 8, 2012.

1. luke35whelan

luke35whelan Member

Hate to beat a dead horse here but what the heck. I'v started building my new rig and want to buy the CPU, mobo, and memory at the same time so I dont miss the return window. Cant decide between the i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz, or the FX-8150. About the same money, looks like the 1155 boards with the features I want are a little more but not enough to sway me. I dont game, cant see it happening anytime soon. I've never built an Intel system for myself.

Lets go with this this senario, you have a nice case (LanBoy Air)64gb SSD for a boot drive, 750 watt PS, DVD burner. All you need is the CPU, mobo, and menory. Which CPU would you go with? I plan on using 16gb of RAM if that makes any difference. Oh yea, still need a video card but I have several laying around to post the board. I know, 16gb is overkill but I dont mind spending $100 on memory when looking to the recent past at what $100 would buy you for RAM.

I'm not looking to fuel the AMD/Intel war here. In my eyes, I see these pretty close in performance, at least for what I need. Yes, I could make do with much less in terms of specs but I just dont want to, I'm sure some of you get that.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you play games, i5 2500K. There's simply no comparison.
    If you're specifically doing video work, look carefully at benchmarks of the software that you use, the FX-8150 wins some, loses others.