1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSi motherboard won't boot to BIOS, new PC - Help

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by nasman93, Nov 19, 2010.

1. nasman93

nasman93 Member

I recently ordered a custom pre-built AMD PC from cyberpowerpc, and I got it in the mail yesterday. I plug it in for the first time today, and it won't boot into BIOS (I ordered it without an OS). My monitor just says "Computer not responding." The keyboard didn't work either, no lights or anything. So I reset the BIOS, but that didn't do anything. I'm starting to think something's wrong with the motherboard, and I really don't wanna go through shipping it back to them.
    The specs are:
    MSI 870A-G54 mobo
    AMD Phenom II 965
    Radeon HD 6870

The power supply is a TX750.

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

unplug everything but the cpu .. check the front panel switch connections .. fire it up and lights should come on, fans start spinning and there should be a whole stack of beeping.... have you supplied power?

3. nasman93

nasman93 Member

Okay, I disconnected everything but CPU, PSU, and CPU fan. The fan and mobo came on, but there was no beeping. I don't have speakers connected, but the motherboard should have them, correct?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Motherboards don't often come with built-in speakers unless they specifically say they do and you can see one.
    To be honest nasman, CyberPower PCs are absolutely crap. It's not a reflection on the MSI board, but lots of the components they use are awful and they're extremely unreliable. A PC arriving new, pre-built for you and not POSTing means a component is faulty and hasn't even been checked.
    Use this opportunity to send the PC back for a refund, not a replacement, before you lose the ability to do so, and get a proper PC, either by building one or using a more reputable retailer.

5. nasman93

nasman93 Member

Yeah, I'm rather disappointed with CyberPower, they probably didn't even test it. I'll be sending it back for a refund and either building one or buying a cheaper pre-built and upgrading it.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd hazard against upgrading a cheaper pre-built PC, it's not always straightforward as you'll encounter cooling, power and sometimes even case restrictions. If you're not afraid to replace one component, you may as well fit them all, it's not especially difficult, and you'll get a much better PC for it. State what sort of budget you can afford for a PC, and its purpose [I'm going to assume gaming unless you mention otherwise or anything else], and whether you need any peripherals and I'll provide a list of the components you should get.