1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Me too.... :D

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I'm late to it, but sorry to hear of Russ' bad health and I hope that he recovers well.

3. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Russ has left us early Thursday morning, the hospital wanted to transfer him to some home, and I'm so glad his roommate Russell did not let that happen, he brought Russ back home and acquired hospice care and those people are great, our homes for the elderly and disabled here in the States as most of us know are atrocious unless you have big bucks for proper care.

He never really re-gained consciousness again after the stroke, and his lungs and heart were not up to par to give him a fighting chance for recovery, Russell made sure he was as comfortable as possible at home, and played Jackie Evancho recording's for him thru out the day, hospice provided 24 hr care.

He will be missed by all of us, I was fortunate enough to spend many hours with him on the phone and Internet, he taught me more things about PC's that I could ever imagine, no matter how stupid my questions might have been or how many times I would say Russ I still don't get it he never gave up till I did, we reminisced many times on our youth even though we never physically meet each other but were raised in the same places like NYC, Philly and Jersey practically in the same neighborhoods. I never heard Russ speak badly of anyone, always willing to help no matter how difficult, one of the most unselfish people I have known, It was my pleasure and honor to have known him, a great contributor for AD and of course this particular forum, he really did admire everyone here as he did this forum, I will miss my friend.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  4. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

He will sorely be missed. I, also, had spent many an hour on the phone with Russ, and as usual he was of great help.

RIP Rush.

5. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

I too have nothing but fond memories of Russ.He will really be missed by me on AD and his emails. Hope the great organs in the sky play for him.

6. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

It's a sad day, I'm so sorry he is gone and will be missed.

Steve :(

7. Blazorthon

Blazorthon Regular member

Goodbye, Russ. I wasn't here long to talk with you and sorry I missed this earlier, but it was nice talking when we did nonetheless. RIP.

8. redice

redice Regular member

Goodbye my friend russ, you will truly be missed by everyone here on aD. Thank you for all of your computer help.R.I.P

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It must be at least 7, possibly 8 years since I met Russ on this forum. We had our ups and downs in conversations, but Russ was and has always been in his time here a really nice guy, and has contributed a wealth of useful info to the thread.
    He alluded to his health issues not long after I met him, explaining that he had about 2 years to live as of about 2006. It's great to see he managed to beat the odds there, but unfortunately this day was inevitable. Genuinely sad to see him go. I think I speak for many when I say this forum, and many people's lives will be the poorer in his absence.

Farewell Russ, you will be sorely missed by us all.

10. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Very sad news, my condolences. He will definitely be missed in our little community.

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Just checked the thread and read this. I'm at a loss for words. Recently lost a friend to suicide and now this.

You will be missed Russ. Been my friend since 2006. One of the great mentors and old-timers of this community. *Sigh* Seeya on the other side buddy. I dunno if a better place exists after death, but if so, you are definitely there.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  12. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

I just stopped by and saw the news about Russ..:(

I know his vast knowledge will be missed...But more important...He will be missed as a Great Guy and a Friend to all here...

I got to know him through this site...I can honestly say I considered him a friend and fellow computer Geek...

Me and Russ always seemed to think alike...I don't know if it was because of are similar ages...Which is rather Old for this site...But we just seemed to clique...

I know Russ had alot of people here...Who considered him a Friend...and I know Russ felt the same way towards all of You...

Russ...May you Rest in Peace...You will be greatly missed...

13. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

AMD Vishera FX-8350 4.0 GHz Processor Performance Transcoding Comparison

Now that I have my new Fractal Arc Case Build done I’ve finally transcoded a Blu-ray movie on it, using AnyDVDHD with BD-Rebuilder, and compared it to my old rigs to see the performance boost between the systems. All systems had plenty of space left on their hard drives, at least 200+ GB after rips. I wish I had my friend’s i7 2600K because I think it would be interesting and revealing to see how it performs against the crowd. Also I wish I had my Acer Blue 17.3" Aspire A6-3400M (1.6 GHz / 4 Core) as it would outperform my Acer i5 as well, even at two-thirds the clock cycle.
    NOTE: Although hard drive/BDROM drive performances will impact times it is a small factor/percentage of the rebuild time as encoding takes the main toll of the tasking and Read times will still be very close to each other, arguably. In the case of the New and Old Desktops they do have the exact same hard drives.

Docu-Movie: Inside Job (2010) Length: 1:48, Size: 40.59 GB

BD-Rebuilder Important Settings
    Full Backup, High Priority, Custom Size: 24500, Keep ALL Audio/SubTitles, Keep HD Audio, AQS
    Resulting Output Size: 23.0 GB, compression of x1.76 (reduced to 56.66%)

Outcome Performance
    Code:
    Fractal/FX-8350 Time:                119min. (1Hrs/59min)       x2.00 (200.8% faster)
    Notebook/i5 2430M Time:              232min. (3Hrs/52min)	x1.03 (103.0% faster)
    Gigabyte/X4-940 Time:                239min. (3Hrs/59min)	x1.00 (Base system)
    New Fractal Arc Case Build
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7
    AMD FX-8350 (8 Core Processor) @4.20 GHz
    16 GB RAM
    Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
    LG SATA BDXL 16X Blu-ray Burner WH14NS40
    Monitoring during transcoding:
    ALL 8 cores 100% during encoding
    Total CPU usage all 8 cores 40.6% average during full process
    Single Core averages from 29% to 55% with 5 Cores above 40%, Core 6 being the highest at 55%
    During Reads all Cores averaged around 8 to 14% usage
    CPU temperature ranged from 21C to 30C, 30C during encoding and all cores at 100%

Old Gigabyte Case Build (Base System)
    ASRock AOD790GX/128M
    AMD Phenom II x4 940 (4 Core Processor) @3.00 GHz
    8 GB RAM
    Windows Enterprise (x64)
    Pioneer Black 12X Internal Blu-ray Burner SATA BDR-206

Acer Aspire Laptop
    Intel H61 Socket 1155
    Intel Core i5 2430M (2c/4t) 2.40 GHz
    16 GB RAM
    Windows Ultimate (x64)
    Panasonic UJ240 6x Slim Blu-ray Burner

So Kevin I don't think you're going to want one of these new FX-8350's it just isn't going to work for you. LOL

As to OC'n, as you can see I've moderately increased my CPU with the FSB at 2200 and the Core clock at 4200. I had it higher but had to play with the FSB to get it stable but didn't have time to complete that so later I'll play with pushing it further. The biggest issue is keeping the NB cool as my CPU is more than fine with the H2O cooling. From the little I've played with it I think I can reach 5 GHz without too much problem.

Also I'll take some pictures of the build and post them later but it might be a bit as we have March Madness coming up and I'm due for a vacation to Ft. Myers in April, 3 weeks down there I can hardly wait.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Why is the encoding process only averaging 40% CPU load?

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

During the first pass, that would be typical. I've never seen full usage on the first pass. UNLESS of course, one tweaks certain settings, to use more potential.

LOTS and lots of variables...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  16. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

If you read it proper you would see that encoding is 100% for all 8 cores. 40% would be the average cpu usage for the whole process and all cores.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

whole process of what? Sorry, I don't understand what's happening the rest of the time when the CPU isn't being fully utilised.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I don't understand the first pass of X264 myself. But mine runs about 60 - 80% on the average. Pass 2 on the other hand, the CPU is FULLY utilized. However there are ways of increasing the utilization of the first pass, via BD rebuilder. Not sure how other utilities call upon X264's capabilities. And of course it could be different from Intel to AMD.

I've seen the figures for 8 core capabilities via X264. If I had more money to justify the purchase... perhaps. But for now, the 1090t is ample for my needs. I could run 2 or more jobs while I sleep. That's a great deal better than it was a few years ago.

I'm currently on hiatus, concerning my second job. Uncle Sam really irritated me this year. So now, I'm focusing on under the table profits. Web graphics, and what not. I'm currently working on a big job for myself. It could quite likely be the best graphical accomplishment I've ever done. Wish me luck ;)

19. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Whole process is just that, from start to completion. Not the second pass, not the read process, not the assembly, not the recode, and so on....

So on an average for the whole 2 hour process the cpu was tasked on average all cores combined 40.6% of the time. As I stated encoding was being tasked at 98% to 100% during their whole process but that is only one piece of the pie, read process was much less obviously. Sorry for the confusion? Maybe this will help I re-posted and high lighted parts.

1) ALL 8 cores 100% during encoding, actually they start out around 98% but that is only for an instance so I didn't mention it before

2) Total CPU usage all 8 cores 40.6% average during full process

2a) Single Core averages from 29% to 55% with 5 Cores above 40%, Core 6 being the highest at 55%

3) During Reads all Cores averaged around 8 to 14% usage

4) CPU temperature ranged from 21C to 30C, 30C during encoding and all cores at 100%

Sound great Kev hope it works out good for you....

Steve

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ouch! This Laptop drive is looking bad...
    [​IMG]

I had to replace the LCD screen. Upon bootup, an error about attempting to recover went on for HOURS. Now I see why :( This just got more expensive for the little lady...