1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can i build with a $1200 max. budget?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Damien89, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Damien89

Damien89 Member

My pc is getting old,it's a p4 2.4ghz, it has 1 gig ram and i have had it for 7-8 years.
    Lately it started to really slow down so it's time to get a new one.
    I'm not going to build it myself, a friend of mine is going to build it for me.

I have no idea whats compatible with what so i need all the help i can get in that area.
    Since i live in Malta i would prefer if someone gave me a list that i could buy it locally from this shop if possible: http://www.scanmalta.com/eshop/index.php/

I would prefer to buy the parts in Malta due to the warranty as i don't want to be sending parts back from where i would buy them. (i.e uk or usa) due to tax.

My budget is $1200 but that is the max i would like to spend, i mean if i could spend less it's better but that is my max budget.

I don't change pc's often so i prefer to have something which is the latest in power so it doesn't get outdated 2-3 years time.

Mainly i use my pc to copy dvd's, encode them and sometimes i use photoshop cs3. I don't use it for gaming but that's because my current one isn't suited for gaming. I would like to play cod black ops on it if possible.

Lately i've started using blender 3d if thats to be of a concern for the new pc.
    Also, i would like to use windows 7 on it if it makes any difference.

Hope to hear from someone.
    Thanks

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what is the specs on your current system as in hard drive capacity, cd or dvd burner, clone case or name brand system like dell or hp?

3. Damien89

Damien89 Member

My curreny system has a 230gig hd and an 80 gig hd, a dl dvd burner and it was built by a friend for me.
    Originally it had a gigabyte mb but a year ago it went and my friend changed it with a ASrock p4165g.
    Does my current pc make any difference as to what i should get as my new pc?

4. ddp

can use old drives & case & just do an upgrade to your motherboard, cpu, ram & possibly videocard. would be a lot cheaper then a whole new system.

5. Damien89

Damien89 Member

Actually i would like to keep my curreny one in running order, also i need more memory because mine is maxed out to the limit.
    So instead of upgrading i would like a new one that is faster and has more memory.

6. ddp

i meant upgrade as in new motherboard, cpu & ram as you can't upgrade a motherboard itself.

7. Damien89

Damien89 Member

Oh ok, now i understood what you meant, but since i can afford to build a whole new system i would like to keep my current one as it is and not throw any more money in it, what i would like is a list that i can buy prefferebly locally and get my friend to build it for me, altough i would like to build my pc but don't think i'm fully capable of doing it. So far the only things i did on mine is change the dvd writer add a hd and add 512mb ram.

8. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

purpose of the pc???

I paid $1300 for mine a year ago built by a pro all parts came with 2year warrenty (4years on moniter).running windows 7,500gb hdd,intel quad Q8400 processor ,ddr2 ram 2x2gb.hd 4550 graphics,ritmo force 1200 power supply,23inch AOC lcd moniter,logitech keyboard,mouse,speakers.dvd burner.

since prices have gone down you should be able to buy/build something better than mine.

9. Damien89

Damien89 Member

Actually all i need is the tower. What i would like is something to contain all my movies because 1: i hate putting movies on dvd's 2: i don't have any more storage on my current one. If i buy more hard disks my current pc would take ages to search for something, So i want a new pc that doesn't get obsolete in 2-3 years because with new programs that come out each year my pc is slowing down by the minute.
    When i have many windows opened it slows down, if i want to see a football match streamed it slows down. In other words it's starting to get annoying.
    I've had it for 7 years and i want to upgrade to a new one.