1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing iphone 4s ip address

Discussion in 'iPhone - General discussion' started by jmac21, Jan 26, 2013.

1. jmac21

jmac21 Member

A friend of mine asked me if it was possible to change his ip address on his iphone 4s. He tells me his ip address has been blacklisted at his job. There are public and private networks and I believe he's been blacklisted for being on the private network. He doesn't have access to the routers or modems. Is there any way for him to change the ip address on his phone.

2. hanoobal

hanoobal Regular member

It is most probably not the IP address of the iPhone that your friend is referring to but the MAC address of the iPhone. The IP address is obtained once the device is fully connected to the network.

On the other hand, some networks can indeed use the MAC address of certain devices in order to restrict access. Unfortunately, the MAC address if like a serial number of the WiFi receiver so this cannot be changed as it is set during the manufacture process of the device. On your computer you can eventually "spoof" the MAC address of the receiver but on iOS devices this is not possible as far as I know.

3. berrymartin

berrymartin Member

Virtual Private Networks is probably the most secure way to change the IP address of your iPhone . You're actually assigned a virtual IP by a private network of servers. Encryption and other cool tech-stuff keeps you safe from hackers, and your entire phone will be hidden from other users on your network. Remember that proxies only hide your browsing activity. You've got to pay a monthly fee, but it's this is a tool that's designed for more than unblock sites. This is used for true anonymity and security online.