1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

media server questions

Discussion in 'Media tanks' started by pspweazl, Feb 17, 2012.

1. pspweazl

pspweazl Member

So I bought a new WNDR3700 N600 router which has USB for connecting a harddrive. I am wanting to connect a new 1.5TB HDD (buying this week) and want to back up my DVD collection to the HDD. What I am hoping to do is connect the HDD to the router and stream it to the devices throughout my home (I have 3 Xbox 360's, a PS3, 2 CP's and am hoping to get something such as a networked blu-ray player). The question is: Is there anything I need to do special to start streaming this media? The other question is does it still stream from my main PC or directly from the router to each DLNA compatible device? Also do I need to do anything to my X-box's or PS3 to make this work? I am a complete noob at this so am completely in the dark, so if some kind person could take me under their wing and guide me in the right direction that would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks all.

2. barborian

barborian Member

hi firstly check that the usb on your router is not for 3g dongles only as they usually are, to stream data across your network you need to put your hard drive in a nas drive caddy which allows you to connect to your router using an rj45 cable then the hard drive will show up as a network drive for all users to access. the other way to do it is to buy a sumvision/traxdata mkv media player enclosure with networking {usb and rj45} which you can put your hard drive into {as long as it is sata} and then you can play films directly to your telly via hdmi and it will network them to all other comupters in your houshold which will eliminate the need for a blu ray player. sumvision and traxdata media player enclosures are available from ebuyer and amazon. i have the sumvision mkv2 media player and it is superb

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

or of course you can scavenge a surplus p2/3 with 128 or more ram.. shove in the biggest hdd's you can lay your hands on.. and install freenas

http://www.freenas.org/

once you have a dedicated network file server you will be very surprised how soon you will want bigger and better

4. pspweazl

pspweazl Member

5. barborian

barborian Member

freenas is aimed at more modern computers than museum pieces like p2/p3, on p2/p3 the data transfer rates are at least 50% slower than a modern nas drive because they are only capable of using ide ata 133 or sata 1 on pci raid card,and the whole reason for using a dedicated nas drive is to have a small box which uses sata 3 and usb 3 speed for data transfer but uses around 50% less power than a computer making it more cost effective.

6. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

blah blah blah.. who pays out £400 on something to test a theory out?..

My p3-800 streams like a superstar.. and it was FREE.. so boo to your consumerism fantasy land bull eh? Why buy specific hardware when testing out an idea?.. only a moron does that when the world is full of surplus and scrap hardware just waiting for an experimenter to try it out bEFORE paying out a fortune.. I know those types of idiots.. they have maxed out credit cards and iphones.. always the latest.. 6 months ago one thrown aside YOU might like throwing money away on a whim, but some of us have biger stuff going on numbnuts.. like families and lives.. personally I still have a crt tv because it's working and it cost me nothing 10 years ago.. when I move it can go to the dump.. like 90% of the rest of my stuff.. old, recycled and cheap..

I ask again.. WHY waste money testing an idea?.. maybe a stream box isnt what the family concerned want.. so wheres the harm in SUGGESTING!!.. YEAH??? .. a FREE alternative?..
    Noobie.. typical.. full of shit and opinions.. Ever owned a 64 node Beowulf cluster? FYI.. My NAS is a rack of twin xeon's.. a rack.. 32 of em.. running 12 websites and happens to be a large chunk of the Xlink-Kai network.. It runs from the building power.. (I'm wise to how much power it burns being on 24/7) and I wonder when the building management are going to get wise to their "lights and lifts" bill being a bit on the large size... or maybe not....

Note something else in my sig.. yup.. I have maintained the afterdwn irc channel for the last 5 years.. long time 5 years in internet land..

7. barborian

barborian Member

if you read the post properly dumbass a media stream box is what they want, they already posted that they are thinking of buying a 1.5 tb external hard drive to stream media across the network which indicates they want to spend around 100 to 150 quid which will buy a sumvision mkv2 player which will do the job nicely. as for your silly brag about what you have got and what your running who cares? although you are posting as a senior member you are obviously the senior member of posting pointless replies, get a grip.