1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations on equipment for home media system

Discussion in 'Media tanks' started by dgrooman, Sep 18, 2012.

1. dgrooman

dgrooman Member

I have been converting all of our movies into DivX avi's and saving them onto a 2TB external hard drive. What I would like to be able to do is have that hard drive connected to a "media hub" of some sort so that all of the TVs in the house can connect wirelessly to it and stream the content. Since currently all of the TVs are "dumb", I will need the equipment to enable them to connect to a network, and I would also like to be able to access the commercial streaming networks as well (Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, etc). Any suggestions/recommendations on hardware and just general guidance will be greatly appreciated. Right now we do not have a home network established, other than just a standard wifi router for the Frontier DSL.

I saw the Iomega ScreenPlay 35045 Network Audio/Video Player on sale today and was wondering if that would fit into the picture somehow...?

Thanks

2. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

might be hard to connect all televisions in-house to a network. Expensive at least. Look into the Western Digitial Live TV, Roku player, D-link boxee box. these are the most popular non-apple products i can think of that probably support streaming internet content.

3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Like mentioned above, look for a WDTV box, or a BoxeeBox. Roku would need tinkering with a third party app like Plex in order to play local content. I have a BoxeeBox, and I am really happy with it.

I also recently purchased an Android box, a G-Box Midnight (http://www.amazon.com/G-Box-Midnight-TV-Box-Internet/dp/B009BWC3J4). It runs XBMC, which is pretty much the king of home theater media players. haven't had a chance to use it yet, still in USPS transit for another day!:)

4. smoggie66

smoggie66 Regular member

get an extreamer sidewinder 3 its awsome and plays 3d iso the lot, and plays hd dts audio and has a movie jukebox which uploads the lables for you and if you can afford it get a nas but will work well off pc

5. AdamJack

AdamJack Member

Thanks for the great post.Let's build our own home media network for enjoying music and movie