1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide discussion: Create AVCHD and Blu-ray Discs With MultiAVCHD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray' started by vurbal, Dec 31, 2011.

1. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

This thread is dedicated to discussion of our guide for MultiAVCHD. If you have a comment, question, or suggestion about the guide, this is the place to let us know.

The following sections are currently included in the guide:

1 - Quick Start

2 - Reauthoring A Blu-ray Disc

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  2. FrancoisChevel

FrancoisChevel Member

Thank you for this simple and awesome explanation. Any idea how I can burn on two BD-25 discs when total output size is higher than 25gb, or can I also use a double layer 50GB disc?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  3. vurbal

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. I've just added a second section on reauthoring which should answer your question. You would need to reauthor twice - once for each output disc.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/create_avchd_and_blu-ray_discs_with_multiavchd_page_2.cfm

4. jay4

jay4 Member

hi there!
    thank you for this tutorial.
    i'm a little new to Bluray, but i know it has the DTS 7.1 audio.
    my question- if i had a bunch of old sixties video clips and a separate DTS 7.1 audio file for each, could i import and link audio to video for each one and export and burn to a blu-ray disc?
    regards
    jay4

5. vurbal

I haven't tried that with MultiAVCHD, but from what I understand it should work. If you have any problems, let me know and I'll look into it and see if I can help.

Edit: As it happens I'm experimenting with a DVD to Blu-ray conversion and needed to do something similar myself. The process is very simple. First, add your video files on the main window. Then go into the Properties dialog, select the first video file, and click the Add button to the right of the Audio tab. Repeat for each video.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  6. jay4

jay4 Member

thank you Verbal!
    i can import the video's as an Blu-ray video already to go, so i'll see if i can learn something tonight.
    kind regards
    jay4

7. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Haali Media Splitter link is dead

8. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

On the start up guide, it says the following :

Blu-ray disc

This creates an actual BDMV disc. BDMV is the format commercial discs use. Ideally it would be great if you could use this option for every job. Unfortunately it's not that simple. However, if you are burning to a BD-R - not just with a Blu-ray burner but on an actual Blu-ray disc, this will almost always be safe.

This sentence does not make sense to me. Please help

How do you burn on an actual blu ray disc ?

9. vurbal

From past experience I know some people assume if they have a DVD burner, everything they burn is a DVD. Obviously you can also burn CDs with them. Likewise, I wanted it to be clear I was talking about burning to a Blu-ray (BD-R or BD-RE) disc rather than burning to a DVD+/-R disc. If that's still not clear, here's the long version.

Depending on the context, Blu-ray disc can mean different things. What I was talking about was the physical disc specification. In this context, a Blu-ray disc refers to the physical media specification for an optical disc which can be read with a laser at a certain wavelength, which is where the name comes from original. The particular wavelength of light for a Blu-ray laser corresponds to the color blue (actually violet). This would be a BD-R (write once) or BD-RE (Write many times) disc. Just for completeness, standard commercial discs are pressed, rather than burned, making them BD-ROM discs. Any of these discs could be referred to by their size as BD25 or BD50.

On the other hand, Blu-ray disc is also the common name for a disc authored in the BDMV format used for commercial releases. It's not an acronym, but you can think of it as standing for Blu-ray Disc Movie. Although the BDMV standard only officially supports Blu-ray media, if the authored files are small enough you could burn them on a DVD (generally dual layer) instead. Of course if you only have a DVD burner, you can't burn MultiAVCHD's BDMV output on a Blu-ray (BD-R or BD-RE) disc no matter what. But even if you do have a Blu-ray burner, you may prefer to burn some BDMV compilations to DVDs simply because they're cheaper.

In theory, since every Blu-ray player can also read DVDs, they could also play BDMV from DVD, which is referred to as BD5 (BDMV on DVD-5) if it's a single layer DVD or BD9 (BDMV on DVD-9) if it's a dual layer disc. However, since BDMV on DVD media isn't part of the official specs from the BDA, many (most?) standalone players won't play them. Most (perhaps all) Sony standalones and (IIRC) the majority of Samsung players support BD5 and BD9. No Panasonic players support it. Other brands are a mixed bag. Although technically no player is required to play any BDMV disc if it isn't encrypted, manufacturers who have removed this capability via firmware update end up with a lot of angry customers, and I'm not aware of any who haven't changed their minds afterward.

AVCHD is a camcorder format developed by Panasonic and Sony which is supported by a broader selection of Blu-ray standalones. It borrows heavily from BDMV by using the same M2TS (BDAV) container and a similar file structure, but AVCHD isn't part of any official Blu-ray Disc Association standard. The official AVCHD spec is significantly more limited than BDMV, although it has improved over time. Menu features are more limited, BD-J support is non-existent, multiple video and audio streams aren't allowed, and even the type of streams available is more limited.

Once again depending on the brand and model of your player, AVCHD support will vary. Some players, once again Panasonic, follow the spec to the letter. That's why MultiAVCHD has the Strict setting for AVCHD discs, which you should notice specifically references Panasonic players. Others are more forgiving and will allow you to exceed AVCHD specs in a variety of ways. You may be able to use multiple audio streams or officially unsupported streams like DTS audio or VC-1 video. You may be able to have motion menus. You may even be able to exceed the official bitrate limits, although those are primarily based on the physical restrictions of DVD read speed so you could hit a wall no matter how your player is programmed.

The basic rule of thumb is this. A BDMV disc recorded to BD-R or BD-RE (aka BD25 or BD50) should play on pretty much every Blu-ray player. BDMV burned to DVD (aka BD5 or BD9) will work fine on some players, work with restrictions (such as no BD-J support) on others, and not work at all on the rest. AVCHD discs (on DVD media) with features or content which are part of the BDMV spec, but not the AVCHD spec, will work with varying degrees of success on different players, but not at all on Panasonics. AVCHD discs which are completely within spec should play on most players, although I know at one point there were also players which only supported AVCHD via USB. However, I don't think that's an issue for any model introduced within the last 2-3 years or so.

If this still doesn't make sense, let me know where you're getting lost and I'll try to simplify it further.

10. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Thank you for the explanation and clarification vurbal

11. jay4

jay4 Member

holy smoke!
    let me start again.
    i only installed multiAVCHD and IMGBurn.
    i've installed the others and all is well. i exported one 3 minute video in 7.1 surround sound and played it in PowerDVD and it sounds great! i'll study the tutorial now Verbal and hopefully burn a compilation to a Bluray disc.
    kind regards
    jay4

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  12. jay4

jay4 Member

i started a new post for DTSHD.
    i've deleted this one.
    kind regards
    jay4

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  13. jay4

jay4 Member

WOW!
    this tutorial is fantastic!
    i imported 100 video's around 2 or 2.5 minutes long and linked the DTSHD audio file to each one and followed the tutorial and burnt to a Bluray disc.
    they sound incredible in DTS HD Master Audio 7.1 surround sound.
    these little apps do all the work. (i have Nero10 Registered and NVE gives Bluray coasters)
    Verbal! did you guys program these apps to work together? or do they normally just work in the background? for me, with what i wanted to achieve with DTS, only Sonic Scenarist or Sony Blue etc would do this. i can't buy any of that software-too dear!
    regards
    jay4

14. Sidewayz8

Sidewayz8 Member

I used multiAVCHD to burn on a 25GB SL i used the bluray option not the avchd one at the end, the disc has java in it. Anyway on ps3 it loads then stays at black screen on PC same thing.

Ive been able to play AVCHD files from external on my ps3 no problem. But now i've burned 2 discs without any luck.

Basically I want to burn a disc that plays on the most players/systems it can compatibility wise and keep the dvd structure cloned to the original as much as possible.

15. jay4

jay4 Member

another question guys!
    you might be able to help with AVCHD question. the video's burnt to BD-R play nicely, but i can't press backward button to play a previous track. an example, say if i'm playing track 20, and i would like to play track 12 again, it only goes back to start of track 20. is there something i'm not doing in the settings/author/menu?
    regards
    jay4

i can do a "title search" and get to it that way.
    these apps and this tutorial is brilliant.
    regards
    jay4

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  16. domie

domie Member

Great guide thanks. Quick question - this amazing program reauthors an entire hd-dvd to blu-ray with no problem but is it possible to reauthor the entire hd-dvd disc including the original hd-dvd menu screens & options or not ?
    I get all the material transferred across but every single file from the hd-dvd disc such as logos and trailers appear as separate thumbnails in the new (ugly looking) menu.
    I'd like to get the program to transfer all the original menus as well and options, is that possible or am i asking too much ?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  17. mpholic

mpholic Member

On Deans original forum (for multiavchd) he stated that certain versions of ffdshow and matroska splitter were supported by his program. the link on his site where he directs you to those versions is broken. Unfortunately I have the install files for two different versions of eeach of the programs and dont remember which is correct. Any ideas?

Thanks

18. amaheshw

amaheshw Member

Need help re: Standalone BD player not playing multiavchd-authored BD

Hello -- I followed your tutorial and everything worked absolutely perfect the very first time, with one exception: the final BD disc plays fine on my PC using PowerDVD and other software, and while my standalone BD player (Denon DVD-2500BT) recognizes the disc and "Play" appears on the panel, nothing actually plays. Here is what I did:

1. Made backups of BDs that I own, used MultiAVCHD to compile specific clips;
    2. Output to BD-R/RE format (not AVCHD);
    3. Selected Imgburn option in MultiAVCHD;
    4. Within Imgburn, used UDF 2.60 format.

I didn't do any reencoding of video/audio, and although I have a Panasonic Viera TV, I left unchecked the box for Viera (in the Transcode dialog box).

19. vurbal

In case anyone has asked a question here since my last post and been frustrated by my lack of a response I wanted to let you know I'm trying to get back on top of things. Hopefully by the end of this weekend I'll get the chance to go through everything that's been posted in my absence and answer all your questions as well as I can.

Thanks for your patience.

20. vurbal

I'm pretty sure the splitter version is the most current one which. I've always just used the default (ie latest) Haali version and haven't had any problems. Same with ffdshow. Have you run into any actual problems or are you just trying to be thorough?