AfterDawn Forums

New Blu-ray drive help

This discussion thread has 7 messages.

Hi All,

Quick question

I have just bought a slim ps3 off someone locally who stated that it had a disc read error. Stupidly I bought it without checking inside the box. Upon inspection it had the blu-ray drive missing. No luck contacting this guy either. Am I buggered now even if I purchase another drive from ebay? I believe drives need to marry the motherboard right?

Thanks to all
▼▼ This topic has 6 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
Originally posted by ohmss:
I believe drives need to marry the motherboard right?

Sorry to tell you, but yes. There are a few ways (like turning the system into a dev unit), but with a system that has been already tempered with and can have anything from a bad fixed YLOD to internal damage due to dropping I personally wouldn't consider it worth it.

Xbox 360: Slim untouched with a faked 320 GB harddrive for XBL, phat with LT 3.0, played Halo early, so going on live would be an instand ban, also with a faked 320 GB harddrive
PS3: Untouched 160 GB Slim, 60 GB Fat with latest Rogero and 160 GB internal harddrive.
PSVita: hardly ever play it
GameCube: Black with a Viper chip installed. With gameboy player. Trying to get a Wavebird controller.
Originally posted by Eisherz:
Originally posted by ohmss:
I believe drives need to marry the motherboard right?

Sorry to tell you, but yes. There are a few ways (like turning the system into a dev unit), but with a system that has been already tempered with and can have anything from a bad fixed YLOD to internal damage due to dropping I personally wouldn't consider it worth it.
Hi, Thanks for the reply. Well I've placed a hdd inside and it boots up and works fine. It is the cech 2503a and upon a little googling I've read that model doesn't need the drive remarried, the laser connects to the motherboard. Is that correct?

Thanks
CECH2500, CECH3000 without daughterboard

CECH-25xx (and later CECH-30xx) series moved the components from the daughterboard to the main PS3 motherboard. Thus there are more/different flatcables used to connect the drive. They are electrical inter-changable (2500<>3000), but mounting differs slightly. It can be modified to fit by cutting some plastic pins on the bottom front of the drive (to make it fit properly with the start/eject board).
Note: there is conflicting mention of KES-450, KES-460, KES-470 in these models (which physically are interchangeable, but some sources mention higher numbers not working on consoles with originally KES-450)

taken from ps3devwiki :3

PC i7 3770K 8Gb Ram Radeon 290X 4TB WD Black 60Gb SDD
Xbox360 Slim RGH Dash 16202
Xbox360 PHAT 14719 BENQ drive
Black PS3 CECH-L04 PS3ITA 4.50 Converted DEX
White PS3 CECH-2506B PS3ITA 4.50 Converted DEX
Black PS3 DECH-J00A DEX FW4.50
Originally posted by Cyprien:
CECH2500, CECH3000 without daughterboard

CECH-25xx (and later CECH-30xx) series moved the components from the daughterboard to the main PS3 motherboard. Thus there are more/different flatcables used to connect the drive. They are electrical inter-changable (2500<>3000), but mounting differs slightly. It can be modified to fit by cutting some plastic pins on the bottom front of the drive (to make it fit properly with the start/eject board).
Note: there is conflicting mention of KES-450, KES-460, KES-470 in these models (which physically are interchangeable, but some sources mention higher numbers not working on consoles with originally KES-450)

taken from ps3devwiki :3

Cyprien your knowledge on ps3 is amazing. you are a very clever boy and i read all your ps3 posts
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Mar 2013 @ 16:37
Hi Cyprien, thanks ever so much for you advise. I received the drive KEM-450DAA TYPE and connected and it works flawlessly. Yay :)
:3

PC i7 3770K 8Gb Ram Radeon 290X 4TB WD Black 60Gb SDD
Xbox360 Slim RGH Dash 16202
Xbox360 PHAT 14719 BENQ drive
Black PS3 CECH-L04 PS3ITA 4.50 Converted DEX
White PS3 CECH-2506B PS3ITA 4.50 Converted DEX
Black PS3 DECH-J00A DEX FW4.50
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.