AfterDawn Forums

Any options to remove windows 8

This discussion thread has 11 messages.

Hey

Bought a laptop a few weeks back with windows8 installed on it, I hate it and my girlfriend can barely use the laptop. I wish I had the pro version to downgrade it, other than paying for windows 7 do I have any options to get rid of windows8 ??
▼▼ This topic has 10 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
If you mean free solutions, you could install a linux distro yes. E.g.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Otherwise, no. Buy Win7, format, install.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Nov 2012 @ 12:55

actually you might have another problem!!!

If the laptop is designed to work with windows 8 you might not be able to downgrade to windows 7 because the computers manufacturer might have hardware in the computer that is driver rigged to windows 8 only look at your computer makers web site and see if they have drivers for windows 7 if they dont your out of luck
I doubt that any current hardware is Windows 8 specific.

Hey

Thanks for the posts, its a z580 lenovo laptop so think I,m OK on the driver side, they were selling them with windows 7 the week before I bought it and their site supports downgrades for window 8 pro. Being trying to find a cheap college or company version of windows 7, some pain in the butt....
Cool... Thanks
has xp to win8 drivers. http://support.lenovo.com/en_CA/downloads/default.page?

megadunderhead, i've downgraded computers where there was no drivers for that downgrade os & have everything working. know 1st before you type which you didn't on that "Malware Removal for beginners" thread of yours that i hid.
Originally posted by ddp:
has xp to win8 drivers. http://support.lenovo.com/en_CA/downloads/default.page?

megadunderhead, i've downgraded computers where there was no drivers for that downgrade os & have everything working. know 1st before you type which you didn't on that "Malware Removal for beginners" thread of yours that i hid.
Good to here that but the main reason i told him to look is because e-machine and lenovo and gateway has new windows 8 machines that have a weird touch screen driver that is why i told him to look my friend recently purchased a e-machine all in one with windows 8 pro on it and he cannot use the touch screen when he downgraded to windows 7 ...
what e-machine?
Originally posted by ddp:
what e-machine?
Mini Ez they have several some with atoms some that where with or without touch screens nice machine but waiting on a update from acer because acer now own's e-machine and where hopeful that e-machines tech might make it into windows 8 acer machines so we can at least have a driver that works
what is the model #?
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.