AfterDawn: Tech news

Amazon Kindle hacked, e-book DRM cracked

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 23 Dec 2009 7:07 User comments (13)

Amazon Kindle hacked, e-book DRM cracked The popular e-reader, the Amazon Kindle has been hacked this week, allowing for all purchased content to be transferred off the device via a PDF file.
Kindle e-books are sold as .AZW files which have DRM that stops users from transferring the purchased books to other devices that are not Kindles.

That should no longer be a problem thanks to Israeli hacker "Labba" who has cracked the DRM. A second hacker, "I <3 cabbages," has released the "Unswindle" program, which will reformat digital content downloaded and stored on the Kindle for PC app, converting it to easily movable formats, such as PDF.

"Cabbages" did note that Amazon's DRM process was tough to crack, although ultimately Amazon's work was in vain. "Amazon actually put a bit of effort behind the DRM obfuscation in their Kindle for PC application. And they seem to have done a reasonable job on the obfuscation. Way to go Amazon! It's good enough that I got bored unwinding it all and just got lazy with the Windows debugging APIs instead," he said.

Previous Next  

13 user comments

123.12.2009 19:13

So much money was just thrown away. Give up on DRM, it doesn't work!

223.12.2009 20:42

Why do the elite hackers always have awkward and/or funky names?

Anyways congrats to them all. :)

323.12.2009 21:18

DRM= Doesit Really Matter?
Much like indentured servitude, this shall pass.

423.12.2009 22:46

That's great...now you can transfer your books from your old Kindle to your new Nook! Even better, you can backup your books so that when Amazon decides to delete or edit them, you don't loose anything. Should also get PDF books to the warez sites a lot faster...

524.12.2009 01:28

Although doubtful, I wonder if Amazon has there content "watermarked" at all so when something like this happens the "leaked" content can be traced back to the original buyer.

624.12.2009 02:01

I have not used Labbas method, but i have used Cabbages...first thing i did after BUYINGthe book from amazon was remove the DRM. I bought the damn book, let me read it how, when I wish

724.12.2009 04:45

I've thought about purchasing a Kindle... but the lack of a color screen and the DRM made me choose not to. This might make it more worth the money. Are they as great as they seem? Anyone got a better recommendation?

824.12.2009 11:15

My question: Why in the hell do hackers expose themselves that openly when they hack something this big? That's like saying: Here I am, arrest me at your leisure time. It's no rush, I'll be posting more hacks as they are created. Don't get me wrong, DRM is the scum of the earth, but you that the authorities have got be searcing for these 2 as we speak. - BLUEBOY

924.12.2009 12:34

Originally posted by blueboy09:
My question: Why in the hell do hackers expose themselves that openly when they hack something this big? That's like saying: Here I am, arrest me at your leisure time. It's no rush, I'll be posting more hacks as they are created. Don't get me wrong, DRM is the scum of the earth, but you that the authorities have got be searcing for these 2 as we speak. - BLUEBOY
If he is Israeli and is an elite hacker he will not be found. We can't find people in the US let alone the mid east where they have biger things to worry about

1025.12.2009 01:42

If I understand it all correctly, aren't you allowed to hack a program as long as you don't reverse engineer the code or something like that? Maybe not. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry.... I'll admit I'm wrong, just nobody go out for pitchforks & torches. After all, what the hell do I know? I use Windows.

1125.12.2009 05:38

Originally posted by ahiah9:
If I understand it all correctly, aren't you allowed to hack a program as long as you don't reverse engineer the code or something like that? Maybe not. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry.... I'll admit I'm wrong, just nobody go out for pitchforks & torches. After all, what the hell do I know? I use Windows.
If in the USA, then it is illigal to circumvent protection...but the DMCA does not apply everywhere.

1225.12.2009 16:51

Where can I find this program?

1326.12.2009 04:06

Congrats to this fellow.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive