AfterDawn: Tech news

BDA signs off on final 'Blu-ray 3D' specifications

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 18 Dec 2009 9:19 User comments (13)

BDA signs off on final 'Blu-ray 3D' specifications

The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) has announced the release of the final Blu-ray 3D specifications this week, creating a uniform policy for future Blu-ray 3D compatibility, both for hardware and software.
The specification will also allow for the PS3 to playback BD 3D content in 3D.

Blu-ray.com adds that "the specification allows every player and movie supporting it to deliver full HD 1080p resolution to each eye. Moreover, the specification is display agnostic, meaning that Blu-ray 3D products will deliver the 3-D image to any compatible 3-D display, regardless of whether that display uses LCD, plasma or other technology and regardless of what 3-D technology the display uses to deliver the image to the viewer's eyes."

The spec also allows for backwards compatibility in future players and current players. 3D video will use the Multiview Video Coding (MVC) codec, which is an extension to the ITU-T H.264 Advanced Video Coding (AVC) codec. MPEG4-MVC "compresses both left and right eye views with a typical 50% overhead compared to equivalent 2-D content, and can provide full 1080p resolution backward compatibility with current 2-D Blu-ray Disc players. The specification also incorporates enhanced graphic features for 3-D. These features provide a new experience for users, enabling navigation using 3-D graphic menus and displaying 3-D subtitles positioned in 3-D video."

“Throughout this year, movie goers have shown an overwhelming preference for 3-D when presented with the option to see a theatrical release in either 3-D or 2-D,” adds Victor Matsuda, chairman, BDA Global Promotions Committee. “We believe this demand for 3-D content will carry over into the home now that we have, in Blu-ray Disc, a medium that can deliver a quality Full HD 3-D experience to the living room.”

“From a technological perspective, it is simply the best available platform for bringing 3D into the home,” said Benn Carr, chairman, BDA 3D Task Force. “The disc capacity and bit rates Blu-ray Disc provides enable us to deliver 3D in Full HD 1080p high definition resolution.”

“In 2009 we saw Blu-ray firmly establish itself as the most rapidly adopted packaged media format ever introduced. We think the broad and rapid acceptance Blu-ray Disc already enjoys with consumers will be a factor in accelerating the uptake of 3-D in the home. In the meantime, existing players and libraries can continue to be fully enjoyed as consumers consider extending into 3-D home entertainment,”
he concluded.

Previous Next  

13 user comments

119.12.2009 00:24

I am so glad I bought a PS3...I feel sorry for all those suckers who have bought bluray players that are about to be obsolite.

219.12.2009 06:51

Now you just have to buy yourself a 3-D compatible tv huh killer.

319.12.2009 09:50

It's retarded that they're doing this now. I mean if 3d still gives you headaches and/or diziness w/glasses on, what gives. It's like Virtua Boy 2.0. WTF? It's just another marketing gimmick to get more money out of consumers. =( - BLUEBOY

419.12.2009 11:20

Originally posted by blueboy09:
It's retarded that they're doing this now. I mean if 3d still gives you headaches and/or diziness w/glasses on, what gives. It's like Virtua Boy 2.0. WTF? It's just another marketing gimmick to get more money out of consumers. =( - BLUEBOY
Have you used the new generation of glasses (like those used in Avatar)?

519.12.2009 11:47

Yeah, the new glasses are awesome(too bad you cant keep them!). I saw Ice Age 3 DOTD. Perfect colours and crisp image. even though it was animated it still looked stunning and real.

619.12.2009 14:09

Originally posted by NHS2008:
Yeah, the new glasses are awesome(too bad you cant keep them!). I saw Ice Age 3 DOTD. Perfect colours and crisp image. even though it was animated it still looked stunning and real.
Here's the question i asked everybody: Did it cause headaches, motion sickness, vertigo? For what i heard, quite a few people it did, so if it didn't that's at least some progress for 3D, but when we don't need glasses for movie watching in the theatres, that's when I'll know that 3D is heading in the direction it's supposed to be heading: the right way. - BLUEBOY

725.12.2009 18:07

Quote:
Originally posted by blueboy09:
Have you used the new generation of glasses (like those used in Avatar)?

i did and it seemed like there was a trade-off between kinda okay 3d effects and super-crisp hd glory. really, it seemed kinda blurry, more so in scenes with less 3d usage.

825.12.2009 23:35

Well, I wear prescription glasses and I cannot view the current 3D movies. Putting them on over my glasses is uncomfortable and makes the movie impossible to watch. I have looked online for more expensive 3D glasses but have not found them.

Also, I know that they have switched colors in the glasses for more recent movies.

Great concept and I love that the PS3 will continue supporting new features via updates.

Whoops - spelling error!!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Dec 2009 @ 11:36

926.12.2009 15:53

Originally posted by KillerBug:
I am so glad I bought a PS3...I feel sorry for all those suckers who have bought bluray players that are about to be obsolite.
I'm sure they can update their firmware.

Are they saying we will have 3D with no glasses?

1026.12.2009 16:12

Quote:
I'm sure they can update their firmware.

Are they saying we will have 3D with no glasses?
I too believe that most BD-Live enabled players will be able to get firmware upgrades. Some devices allow firmware upgrades via USB thumb drives. You download to thumb drive, then install via USB port on player.

I own a 1st edition 60GB PS3 and a current edition 250GB PS3, so I know I am happy with the firmware updates.

Holographic movies might be interesting!

1127.12.2009 05:33

Quote:
Originally posted by NHS2008:
Here's the question i asked everybody: Did it cause headaches, motion sickness, vertigo? For what i heard, quite a few people it did, so if it didn't that's at least some progress for 3D, but when we don't need glasses for movie watching in the theatres, that's when I'll know that 3D is heading in the direction it's supposed to be heading: the right way. - BLUEBOY
No It didn't cause Vertigo,Headache,motion sickness or bleeding.
Movie was roughly hour and a half. no problems what so ever. only problem can be if your glasses are all scratched up.

1229.12.2009 02:05

You need to spend I little more time comprehending what you are reading!

QUOTE: "The spec also allows for backwards compatibility in future players and current players."

This means current players, you know the ones people already have, must be made compatable too!

Glad I didn't buy a PS3... They only need to be updated always but the updates are normally on the BD disc so no big deal I guess you just have to wait a bit longer for the update to apply. I'll take my YouTube/Netflix streaming players over the PS3 any day though.

Having 1080p delivered to each eye and having a 240Hz refresh rate TV or better should work very well but like others have mentioned do you still suffer from motion sickness and are people with Epilepsy prone to problems with this as well?

1329.12.2009 12:27

Quote:
Glad I didn't buy a PS3... They only need to be updated always but the updates are normally on the BD disc so no big deal I guess you just have to wait a bit longer for the update to apply. I'll take my YouTube/Netflix streaming players over the PS3 any day though.
Not sure why you mention YouTube/Netflix streaming - like they are not supported on the PS3? My PS3 250GB streams both. My TiVo HD streams both, plus allows downloading and watching Amazon video on demand. My Xbox 360 streams Netflix and can be made to watch YouTube using your home network.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive