AfterDawn: Tech news

Burglar caught thanks to Xbox Live

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 28 Dec 2009 12:58 User comments (33)

Burglar caught thanks to Xbox Live Jeremiah Gilliam of the Bronx has been arrested today after police officers found dozens of laptops, GPS devices and video game consoles in his apartment. How did the cops find him? Because he tried playing one of the stolen Xbox 360s online and signed in using the Xbox Live account saved on the system.
The youth whose Xbox had been stolen, was playing online at a friend's house and saw his own Xbox Live name sign in, prompting the family to call the police who then traced the IP address back to the address where Gilliam was staying.

The criminal was under investigation already for 13 robberies, and police suspect he broke into as many as 200 cars and homes in Westchester County.

"On the day of the burglary, the victim used another Xbox and saw his system was already online," said one of the arresting officers. "At the house, we found Xboxes, PlayStations, GPS units, laptops -- a total of 53 items, including stolen credit cards."

Gilliam has been charged with grand larceny.

Previous Next  

33 user comments

128.12.2009 01:26
jony218
Inactive

Luckily he wasn't caught uploading mp3/video's then he would really be in a lot of trouble. At most he will get a slap on the wrist and no fine.
That is how the justice system works.

228.12.2009 01:56

Grand larceny is classified as a felony in new york with the concomitant possibility of a harsher sentence, so no it will not be a slap on the wrists

328.12.2009 03:26

Compared to being caught uploading mp-3's, it will TRULY be a slap on the wrist.

428.12.2009 09:01

He'll see jail time either way; deserves it too, for not just being a thief, but also being an idiot.

528.12.2009 11:09

he might as well had sent the guy he stole the xbox from an sms sayin "i stole your xbox."

628.12.2009 12:43

Originally posted by Mysttic:
He'll see jail time either way; deserves it too, for not just being a thief, but also being an idiot.

LOL, he should get double, for stupidity.

728.12.2009 13:30

A definite contender for the Darwin Awards, what a grade A muppet.

828.12.2009 14:56
tobi2yul
Inactive

The odds on that happening were ridiculous! The look on the guy's face must have been priceless when his tag came online.

928.12.2009 15:27

my IP is based in Europe, i live in Florida. anyway stupid stupid thief. Steal and Pawn is a tactic seen where i live. i always carve my name into the molding for verification.

1028.12.2009 17:44
LissenUp
Inactive

Originally posted by jony218:
Luckily he wasn't caught uploading mp3/video's then he would really be in a lot of trouble. At most he will get a slap on the wrist and no fine.
That is how the justice system works.
No more retarded comments please.

Slap on the wrist..........No.

Just because the justice system often does NOT work for serious cases doesn't mean that a concrete case with concrete evidence such as this will result in a "slap on the wrist". This isn't Holland.

Now wake up and smell the reality coffee. Grand larceny is anything over 5 grand and this is WAY over 5 which will stick him in prison for a couple years at least. Maybe he'll get out after 1.5 years.

"How the justice system works"........pppffffftttt
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Dec 2009 @ 5:45

1128.12.2009 17:48
LissenUp
Inactive

Originally posted by DXR88:
my IP is based in Europe, i live in Florida. anyway stupid stupid thief. Steal and Pawn is a tactic seen where i live. i always carve my name into the molding for verification.
Using a proxy............thanks. Now we all know and so do others who might try to find you if you're doing anything illegal. In fact.........if you are, they'll start searching now and "Ip based in Europe" will not help you smartass. Besides........proxies rarely work as they state but I'm sure you'll adamantly say yours does and switches every...............what...............second??

Nonsense.

1228.12.2009 17:52

Mine switches twice in a second...

1328.12.2009 18:24
LissenUp
Inactive

Originally posted by cyprusrom:
Mine switches twice in a second...
Doens't matter as a static IP is still asigned to you from somewhere. Technology has made it so that investigators can trace through the root signal and IF you're using an ISP that performs this for you then, well..........no ISP has enough physical resources to issue a different IP address every half second. You will recycle over and over leaving you vulnerable and proxies only a "nuisance" to investigators.

Let's pretend though. You'd go through 172800 IPs a day or 63 million a year. Companies the size of Comcast maybe but they ain't doin that.

1428.12.2009 18:28

I forgot to enter the "sarcasm" sign...it was meant to be funny. I am smiling right now,Just not showing it.
I got nothing to hide, when I do, I just leech on one of my neighbors net...

1528.12.2009 18:37
LissenUp
Inactive

Originally posted by cyprusrom:
I forgot to enter the "sarcasm" sign...it was meant to be funny. I am smiling right now,Just not showing it.
I got nothing to hide, when I do, I just leech on one of my neighbors net...
HA HA HA.........the BEST proxy in the world. Good man/woman.

Or........drive around and look for them. So many dumb people with unsecured networks or those still using WEP.

1628.12.2009 18:44

Yeah, there are some people that don't know much about encrypting their wi-fi...I never had the need to, but it would certainly be no problem, plenty available in my vicinity...Even more when I tested a Sunday DIY project, a nice cantenna..

1728.12.2009 21:51

format format format... Shithead..

1828.12.2009 22:11

Quote:
Using a proxy............thanks. Now we all know and so do others who might try to find you if you're doing anything illegal. In fact.........if you are, they'll start searching now and "Ip based in Europe" will not help you smartass. Besides........proxies rarely work as they state but I'm sure you'll adamantly say yours does and switches every...............what...............second??

Nonsense.
i wouldn't waist my time with a proxy. my IP is Dynamic not Static so it switches about every 2 weeks.

i was making a statement, but your character is really shrewd.

1929.12.2009 00:12

Quote:
Or........drive around and look for them. So many dumb people with unsecured networks or those still using WEP.
Wardriving is more dangerous than texting while driving. Build a double biquad dish with a stepper motor base and you can scan from home!

2029.12.2009 00:29

Quote:
Quote:

Nonsense.
i wouldn't waist my time with a proxy. my IP is Dynamic not Static so it switches about every 2 weeks.

Here's how it works:
ISP gives you your dynamic IP that you have for the next 2 weeks. You do something illegal and that dynamic IP is logged by whoever is hunting you down. They go to your ISP with the IP address and date/time it was used. ISP looks at its logs and determines it was you. Using a proxy? Well then, they go there first and follow the same procedure.

2129.12.2009 03:02

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nonsense.

Here's how it works:
ISP gives you your dynamic IP that you have for the next 2 weeks. You do something illegal and that dynamic IP is logged by whoever is hunting you down. They go to your ISP with the IP address and date/time it was used. ISP looks at its logs and determines it was you. Using a proxy? Well then, they go there first and follow the same procedure.
That realy depends on the proxy...the good ones are completely anonymous...to the point that they could not help law enforcement if they wanted to. If you think your IP has already been compromised, you can set your wifi router to not have a password...that way you can always claim that it was a war driver or a neighbor.

2229.12.2009 07:55

at least in jail, he won't be procreating!

2329.12.2009 09:38
atomicxl
Inactive

Anyone who breaks into someone's house is human garbage imo. They should take this guy out back and shoot him. I'm glad he got caught.

I have to say that i'm honestly shocked that the Afterdawn community didn't come out in support of the burglar and say that his privacy was violated by using his IP address to track him. I'm even more surprised that an article mentioning an ISP didn't somehow end up as comment wars about bandwidth throttling or something along those lines.

2429.12.2009 09:46

Originally posted by atomicxl:

I have to say that i'm honestly shocked that the Afterdawn community didn't come out in support of the burglar and say that his privacy was violated by using his IP address to track him. I'm even more surprised that an article mentioning an ISP didn't somehow end up as comment wars about bandwidth throttling or something along those lines.

Do you need a glass of water, a muscle relaxant or something, to regain your composure?)))

2529.12.2009 11:53
atomicxl
Inactive

Quote:

Do you need a glass of water, a muscle relaxant or something, to regain your composure?)))
honestly =/= literally

Grab a dictionary... you'll see.

2629.12.2009 12:01

honestly =/= literally

Grab a dictionary... you'll see.

~))) I got this cool thing in FireFox, I double click any word on a web page and it automatically opens in a dictionary(dictionary.com)...is the cat's meow, the coolest thing since sliced bread!!!
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Dec 2009 @ 12:02

2730.12.2009 09:06
marrix
Inactive

"Anyone who breaks into someone's house is human garbage imo. They should take this guy out back and shoot him. I'm glad he got caught."
What a GOOSE, if you are in China my friend they may well shoot you for your even thinking this! Yet, then again this is the type of regime you would enjoy, except perhaps when it may directly impact on you and yours!!!
DUMMY!!!

2830.12.2009 11:25

You come into my house with intent to rob or do harm to my family, you will be shot to death, as ye cross the threshold or sill. There will be no trial.

2930.12.2009 11:47

Originally posted by garmoon:
You come into my house with intent to rob or do harm to my family, you will be shot to death, as ye cross the threshold or sill. There will be no trial.

If it happens and you shot him before he crosses, just drag'em inside...What is sickening is when people have to justify in front of the law for trying to protect themselves and their family in their own house.
"Oh, why did you shoot him, he didn't mean to harm anyone, just wanted to steal your toilet plunger". I will protect my plunger with your life, you scumbag!

307.1.2010 01:21
ASmith123
Inactive

Prevention is very important step to protect your apartment. If you make your

dwelling look and sound occupied, the burglar will be discouraged to break and

enter. I have been using extremely effective security invention, a burglar

deterrent CD, that has household sounds recorded. Site is www.SuperDeterrent.com.
I play this CD every day when I leave to work. I have used it when I went on

vacation last year as well.

317.1.2010 09:56

Quote:
Originally posted by garmoon:

If it happens and you shot him before he crosses, just drag'em inside...What is sickening is when people have to justify in front of the law for trying to protect themselves and their family in their own house.
"Oh, why did you shoot him, he didn't mean to harm anyone, just wanted to steal your toilet plunger". I will protect my plunger with your life, you scumbag!
If you use a shotgun, he might be a lil ways away from the door when he hits the ground, not to mention a tad messy. But as long as you can articulate it right, you should be fine.

Oh, and next time I need to do an emergency plunge, I will be doubly sure to knock politely, ring the doorbell, call, email, text and everything else before pounding on your door demanding your plunger. Haven't laughed that hard all week, thanks!
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Jan 2010 @ 9:56

327.1.2010 14:06

@ASmith123

I bet your apartment neighbors just love listening to the noise from your apt all day while you're gone to work. It's got to be so loud so the felon can hear it from outside your apt. Maybe that's a good thing, because thief has to choose door #1 , 2 , or 3. A wrong choice could be lethal.

3315.1.2010 09:24
ASmith123
Inactive

@qarmoon.
thanks for your comment! actually, the sounds from the burglar deterrent CD are ordinary household sounds from the kitchen, bathroom, etc, and can not be heard by neighbors through the wall! They can be heard only if you are outside the front door, listening, as a potential burglar will do when checking the apartment for occupancy. These sounds will instantly alarm burglar that someone is home. I have found that www.superdeterrent.com actually did quite nice job with this idea.

If you want to play burglar deterrent CD ONLY when a motion is detected outside the door, I have found an article that explains how to do it, here: "Playing a Burglar Deterrent CD Only When a Motion is Detected Using a Webcam as a Motion Sensor".

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive