AfterDawn: Tech news

Epic Games regrets Xbox 360 exclusivity, says analyst

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 23 Jan 2010 4:24 User comments (43)

Epic Games regrets Xbox 360 exclusivity, says analyst Epic Games, the publisher behind the extremely popular Gears of War series, regrets their exclusivity pact with Microsoft, says top video game analyst Michael Pachter, who adds that "I think the Epic guys can't wait until they can start doing multiplatform games."
When asked if he means the new GOW will hit the PS3, Pachter explains: "I don't, I think Microsoft has a contract to make sure they get that sequel. But I think Epic regrets signing that contract. You're up to 11 million PS3s in the U.S. and probably similar number in Europe, you got a 20 million addressable market with a game like Gears of War. I mean, that thing would easily sell 3 or 4 million on the PS3, that's a lot of profit. No way is it worth it."

Of course, this is just words from an analyst, in which he is speculating and not quoting any sources from within Epic, however, it is an interesting rumor.

Previous Next  

43 user comments

123.1.2010 17:09

This guy is just throwing stuff against the wall to see what will stick. No matter how you slice it, Epic may not have had the chance to reach an obscene amount of gamers, they did manage to create a name for themselves and learn the importance of finely tuning a release before it launches.

I can't imagine the issues multi platforming games must cause companies in terms of trouble shooting and general performance problems.

Do they probably want more freedom? Sure, but then again...I'm sure MS could make them forget about it with another multi million dollar contract.

223.1.2010 17:40

The way I read it Michael Pachter doesn't have a lot of cred and is just spouting self-evident truths (ie a multi-platform game can sell to more gamers than an exclusive) as if they were pearls of profound wisdom.

You might as well say Sony 1st party devs or Ninetendo regret not being open to a total multi-platform market cos they would have sold more games than by simply staying PS3/Wii exclusive.

It's just a pointless & pretty stupid line to take - and the cost/benefit equation probably evens the score for them anyway.

Exclusivity gives them (all) to some degree a captive market with dedicated, less costly and much more easily managed marketing to an audience likely to be more receptive to their product than might otherwise have been the case.

323.1.2010 18:16

Some guy from Epic replied directly to this statement and said that Epic had no regrets for Xbox360 exclusivity at all.

It's an IGN article, I'll try to dig it out.

EDIT: Here we are.
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/106/1062787p1.html

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Jan 2010 @ 6:19

423.1.2010 21:37

How is a multi-platform game NOT more profitable than an exclusive?
The best selling video game of 2009 was Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 a game that was spread far across all platforms and the PC.
The top 10 also features Street Fighter 4 (multi-platform), Resident Evil 5 (multi-platform), and Madden NFL 10 (multi-platform)

523.1.2010 21:44

great so we can have Glitchy Epic games on all the platforms. that would be really great.

624.1.2010 00:21

Originally posted by jookycola:
How is a multi-platform game NOT more profitable than an exclusive?
The best selling video game of 2009 was Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 a game that was spread far across all platforms and the PC.
The top 10 also features Street Fighter 4 (multi-platform), Resident Evil 5 (multi-platform), and Madden NFL 10 (multi-platform)
That's exactly the point, the dude, the "analyst",is wasting his breath on stating some obvious facts, some math that even a kindergarten kid could figure out...But in the end, is all speculations, since we really don't know what MSft really paid to get the exclusivity.

724.1.2010 00:49
fgamer
Inactive

Microsoft and their advertising ability is what made Gears of War what it is today. (plus the sometimes lacking skill of Epic ;) Sony has a serious problem with advertising..they don't seem to do it very well with their games. Although, I've seen it pick up as of lately, prior too, it was almost non-existence.

And who takes anything Pachter says seriously? This man is wrong so much it makes you wonder how he still has a job as an analyst..most of his analysis in the gaming ind are wrong. Microsoft has been nothing but nice to Epic..and plus from the videos I've seen, Cliffy and the rest of the bunch are Bill Gates fanboys..no lie. They were like kids in a candy store when they met him in that E3 video some time back. kinda funny

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Jan 2010 @ 12:52

824.1.2010 01:59

Originally posted by memphissh:
This guy is just throwing stuff against the wall to see what will stick. No matter how you slice it, Epic may not have had the chance to reach an obscene amount of gamers, they did manage to create a name for themselves and learn the importance of finely tuning a release before it launches.

I can't imagine the issues multi platforming games must cause companies in terms of trouble shooting and general performance problems.

Do they probably want more freedom? Sure, but then again...I'm sure MS could make them forget about it with another multi million dollar contract.
Did they? Surely not with UT3,gears 1 or 2...............

924.1.2010 03:33
av_verbal
Inactive

all games should be multi platform to stop corporate monopolies.

1024.1.2010 05:42

I always dreamed of having Gears of War on all platforms just to see how nice it looks on PS3.

1124.1.2010 09:06

Originally posted by TBandit:
I always dreamed of having Gears of War on all platforms just to see how nice it looks on PS3.
if it's on both consoles at same launch they will be pretty much identical. Always have been.

1224.1.2010 12:18

Quote:
if it's on both consoles at same launch they will be pretty much identical. Always have been.
The 360 will look a tad better, because all multiplatform games are developed on the 360 then ported over to the PS3 (because the 360 is easier to work with)

1324.1.2010 12:35

Originally posted by kikzm33z:
Quote:
The 360 will look a tad better, because all multiplatform games are developed on the 360 then ported over to the PS3 (because the 360 is easier to work with)
Not true. All multiplatform games are NOT developed on the 360 first. I would agree that a good portion are but not all. It has been proven to be less costly to dev for the PS3 first, then port over to the 360 as that's easier & quicker to do than the other way around...plus you get an equal game on both platforms.

When you do it 360 first, it becomes more costly because you spend more time having to figure out how to get the PS3's architecture (Cell, SPU's, GPU & split ram) to work in an "order" it was not intended for or designed to do. Overall you get a better product going PS3 to 360 and everyone benefits in the end.

1424.1.2010 14:39
av_verbal
Inactive

don't they make all games on a pc, or do fan-boys claim the source code is written on their favourite console.

1524.1.2010 14:56

Originally posted by av_verbal:
don't they make all games on a pc, or do fan-boys claim the source code is written on their favourite console.
And it seems those who are misinformed & instigators don't seem to understand that while a game is "made on a PC" it still uses/works in conjunction with a console dev kit machine to be coded properly.

Oh! BTW ~ those who continue with backhanded veiled insults will have a nice bit of time off if they can't refrain from doing so.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Jan 2010 @ 3:14

1624.1.2010 14:59
H08
Inactive

i actually read some article on QJ that a developer starts making the game on the ps3 because it is the hardest, then they start porting it to the 360 and PC

1724.1.2010 15:04

Originally posted by H08:
i actually read some article on QJ that a developer starts making the game on the ps3 because it is the hardest, then they start porting it to the 360 and PC
Yes it is "harder", that is a given. But less costlier in the end to dev for the PS3 first ~ then go to 360/PC...as I said above, ultimately it works out better for everyone in the end.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Jan 2010 @ 3:12

1824.1.2010 17:06

Quote:
Originally posted by H08:
Yes it is "harder", that is a given. But less costlier in the end to dev for the PS3 first ~ then go to 360/PC...as I said above, ultimately it works out better for everyone in the end.
Also sonys dev kit handles a some of the porting so if you doing a multi console game you start with it and polish it as you go

1925.1.2010 04:12

Epic should just wait for the contract to end and then just not sign with them again and if making games they should decide to just go across the board. The PS3 is by far the better system but thats only my opinion and not wanting to start a fenboy thing.

2025.1.2010 06:01

I don't really want to play Gears of War on my PS3. There is a lot of better stuff that I play with my time.

2125.1.2010 07:41

I don't understand why would anyone one want their game to be exclusive to one console anymore. I know the reasons they do it but it just seems to me you would want to sell as many copies as possible. I didn't think you needed to be a analyst to figure this out. Think about Gears of War, God of War, Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport. All with more than 2 sequels. Think of all the profit these 4 games are missing out on. In the long run exclusives seem like a bad idea.

2225.1.2010 11:19

IMO first party exclusives are needed, second party are debatable but third's should never be.

2325.1.2010 12:25
emugamer
Inactive

1st party exclusives will be necessary if Onlive ever gets legs.

2425.1.2010 19:30

Originally posted by Oner:
IMO first party exclusives are needed, second party are debatable but third's should never be.
First party exclusives are not needed, we need universal hardware and vendor built hardware and less console exclusivity.......

2525.1.2010 20:00

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
First party exclusives are not needed, we need universal hardware and vendor built hardware and less console exclusivity.......
But then you get monopolization and no competition to push technology and/or price regulation/drops! Ultimately there is no perfect answer...actually there is ~ make all games non exclusive...but then you get having to code for the lowest common denominator...so again there is no perfect answer.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Jan 2010 @ 8:01

2625.1.2010 20:18
chris4160
Inactive

Originally posted by lxhotboy:
Actually, the 360 has better graphics in most multi-platform games: http://au.gamespot.com/features/6240138/p-2.html and http://au.gamespot.com/features/6202552/index.html In MW2 the graphics on the ps3 are blurred compared to that of the 360 (the third photo depicts this quite well). The PC obviously annihilates both though.

In my opinion Gears of War isn't that great. Campaign is alright but multiplayer is screwed up... the locusts are way too overpowered. I'm not really a fan of third person shooters though.

Also, Microsoft would pay Epic Games a lot more for exclusivity than they would get from sales if it was a multi-platform game. Games like Halo and Gears of War are what made the xbox the most popular non-motion sensing console of this generation.

2725.1.2010 20:53

Quote:
But then you get monopolization and no competition to push technology and/or price regulation/drops! Ultimately there is no perfect answer...actually there is ~ make all games non exclusive...but then you get having to code for the lowest common denominator...so again there is no perfect answer.
Hardly you'd have 3 sets of hardware designers(like ATI/nivida) they then license it out to vendors to build the hardware(with a caveat that it can not be slower in performance and must work well with each other) and license the software for it.

They are getting money from 2 sources now and don't have to risk as much selling the hardware themselves this allows more focus to be put on software.

The vendors then mix and match the hardware and sell it for what makes them a profit with X amount of that profit going to the "consortium" As the 3 big names become partners akin to the DVD forum but they each are allowed to compete software wise with each other only the hardware needs to be made with switching between formats in mind.

That is the best ideal I can come up with rather than the draconian console war which dose not really have any competition anymore..... you jsut have 3 sides to the same coin.... one is shinier than the other and one is thiner than the other 2....

Quote:
Actually, the 360 has better graphics in most multi-platform games: http://au.gamespot.com/features/6240138/p-2.html and http://au.gamespot.com/features/6202552/index.html In MW2 the graphics on the ps3 are blurred compared to that of the 360 (the third photo depicts this quite well). The PC obviously annihilates both though.

In my opinion Gears of War isn't that great. Campaign is alright but multiplayer is screwed up... the locusts are way too overpowered. I'm not really a fan of third person shooters though.

Also, Microsoft would pay Epic Games a lot more for exclusivity than they would get from sales if it was a multi-platform game. Games like Halo and Gears of War are what made the xbox the most popular non-motion sensing console of this generation.

THe PS3 really can have better graphics the trouble is most devs still don't bother with working on it that much........

2825.1.2010 21:22

That's what 3DO tried to do...and look how far THAT went! ;-)

Less choice is a better option??? Reminds me of FREEDOM OF CHOICE by Devo: "Freedom of choice...it what you got; Freedom from choice...is what you want."

2925.1.2010 21:44

Quote:

Less choice is a better option??? Reminds me of FREEDOM OF CHOICE by Devo: "Freedom of choice...it what you got; Freedom from choice...is what you want."

3DO was part of the console war, if you evolve the console war model into a forum where sony,MS and Nintendo join together let vendors make the hardware anyway they want as long as its not slower and license the software you have a more streamlined model where the members of the forum compete with each other to keep performance at a maximim and price at a minim so software devs can build to the one that has the most market penetration and when you cut cost of redundant hardware you can buy a 400$ unit that can play all the formats of the 3 forum members. Its win win for all.

3025.1.2010 22:52
chris4160
Inactive

Quote:
Quote:

3DO was part of the console war, if you evolve the console war model into a forum where sony,MS and Nintendo join together let vendors make the hardware anyway they want as long as its not slower and license the software you have a more streamlined model where the members of the forum compete with each other to keep performance at a maximim and price at a minim so software devs can build to the one that has the most market penetration and when you cut cost of redundant hardware you can buy a 400$ unit that can play all the formats of the 3 forum members. Its win win for all.
Until one of the 'forum members' build a better console, and all of the devs switch to that. Then people would have to buy another $400 console.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Jan 2010 @ 10:56

3126.1.2010 04:06
av_verbal
Inactive

Originally posted by oner:
but that is all we have now since the exclusive grab which started with.... is a monopoly based on how much money you throw at the developers/publishers. if there was no monopolistic behaviour sony wouldn't have been able to kill the dreamcast by purchasing all the rights to game exclusivity!

and you really think the few distributes aren't price fixing these games between themselves to £50, another monopolistic behaviour.

and that they don't own the "independent" game review mags either outright or via advertising rights. "the best game ever, nothing like it before, says honest jim".

and that they are not acting as one to remove your rights & turn the business model into a pay per play type?

@ Mr, Mrs ZippyDSM, it will never happen as they are far too greedy, they would rather destroy the competition than share, its the customers that lose, the corporations only give a dam about huge profits, their shareholders & fat bonuses.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 26 Jan 2010 @ 4:11

3226.1.2010 12:00

Quote:

lol...@Chris. Are u saying u could distinguish between the ps3/xbox360 versions of a multiplatform game? If u watched someone play on a tv that u would know which version was being played without

1. Seeing the console
2. Seeing the controller

see my point? Technically, we could sit and compare all day but in the end they still look pretty much the same and as zippy stated the ps3 actually has an advantage in graphics. Sony already said they will not make the ps4 with a chip like the cell bc of the headachevof programming. I'm not saying this bc I am a Sony fanboy either. I don't own a ps3. Just being real.

3326.1.2010 12:25

Quote:

lol...@Chris. Are u saying u could distinguish between the ps3/xbox360 versions of a multiplatform game? If u watched someone play on a tv that u would know which version was being played without

1. Seeing the console
2. Seeing the controller

see my point? Technically, we could sit and compare all day but in the end they still look pretty much the same and as zippy stated the ps3 actually has an advantage in graphics. Sony already said they will not make the ps4 with a chip like the cell bc of the headachevof programming. I'm not saying this bc I am a Sony fanboy either. I don't own a ps3. Just being real.
Exactly. Plus multiplatform titles do not show the true capabilities of graphic's & physics for either console. First party in house devs is where that is decided because that is where they excel.

3426.1.2010 17:52

I would like to see all consoles atleast be able to play on line together,now that would be cool multi platform of course.

3526.1.2010 18:02
av_verbal
Inactive

Originally posted by Se7ven:
I would like to see all consoles at least be able to play on line together,now that would be cool multi platform of course.
they could let us pc games join the fun but with a mouse and keeyboard we would pwn their a**es!

3627.1.2010 18:59

Actually development for PS3 is so much harder compared to Xbox 360. Look at Gran Turismo. Also out of the 11 million people who own a PS3 up to 20% probably use it solely for a blu ray player. PS3 is not selling games like the Xbox is and some companies have stopped putting as much effort into the PS3.

3727.1.2010 19:11

That may have been true a year ago but the PS3 is picking up some real steam.with the price drop it is now cheaper to buy the ps3 vs the top of the line 360.i think with the new juice in the PS3 we will start to see alot more devs get onboard.My thing is buy both they both offer a few different things.In terms of game line ups.

3828.1.2010 08:28

Originally posted by jsmpsn:
Also out of the 11 million people who own a PS3 up to 20% probably use it solely for a blu ray player. PS3 is not selling games like the Xbox is and some companies have stopped putting as much effort into the PS3.
11 Million, 20% solely for BD Play back & PS3 games not selling ~ please site sources for these claims.

3928.1.2010 08:33
scum101
Inactive

what does any of this bullshit have to do with the rubbished garbage from this retarded analyst?

he was binned in 2 posts.. subject over.. end.. nada..

4029.1.2010 02:02
chris4160
Inactive

Quote:

1. Seeing the console
2. Seeing the controller

I probably wouldn't be able to tell which one is the 360 or ps3, but I would be easily be able to tell which is better.

4129.1.2010 09:57

Originally posted by chris4160:

1. Seeing the console
2. Seeing the controller

I probably wouldn't be able to tell which one is the 360 or ps3, but I would be easily be able to tell which is better.
See that is somewhat of a mixed and loaded answer because you can have a title like GTA4, that while on the 360 had a slightly higher resolution over the PS3, it was widely agreed that the PS3 version was superior/better "looking" because of a higher AA (if I remember correctly) added to how it also had much less "pop in"...thus the experience would be better on the "lower resolution" version! Hell, what about Dragon Age Origin? It was a direct port (not done at the same dev cycle) from the 360 and it was superior by most accounts on the PS3 as well.

But then you have quite a bit of titles ranging from Ghostbusters to Bayonetta that are by far better visually (if that is all that can be said about them imho) on the 360 to make this nothing more than a catch 22 game.

But honestly though, this is moot...as I said before ~ multiplatform titles do not show the true capabilities of graphic's & physics for either console. First party in house devs is where that is decided because that is where they excel (and push the hardware to it's maximum or limits).
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Jan 2010 @ 10:10

4229.1.2010 10:18
scum101
Inactive

That's been the case since the dawn of console gaming.. I recall Andretti Racing.. a Saturn title.. the ps1 version was awful.. like no comparison to the excellent experience on the Saturn. Another prime example is shadowman.. a dreamcast title.. great on the dreamcast, poor on the ps1, too dark and very grainy.. but the dreamcast was a console that sort of fell between.. a second gen device early kind of.. hard to put it in a box.. I guess the best way to look at that would be to take the 360 games which have been ported to the ps2. They are always going to look second best.

Consoles are like that.. Even with multi-platform games I think the devs intend them for one and build it for that, then make it work after a fashion on the other. I don't think I have ever seen a game look or play exactly the same across systems. The GTA series were far better on the xbox with better draw distance and detailing, the ps2 versions were disappointing.. which is a shame when you look at the games like Jak and Daxter as an example of what a ps2 is capable of.

just my 2 cents .. I think it's rather pointless trying to compare like for like when the hardware is so fundamentally different. Both have strengths and both have weaknesses. What I see (with an interested eye) is devs and hackers looking at the tech in the ps3 as dead end technology.. a ppc/cell processor which is considered to be (by more than just the devs and hackers.. general news articles see that cpu tech as a dead end) end of line now. http://ph.hardwarezone.com/news/view.php?id=15157&cid=
So that may have some bearing on why there has been a dearth of games and developers really trying to use the capabilities of the device. Nobody really wants to invest a lot of money and time in something which is seen as the last of it's kind.. they will look towards the next generation of hardware and plan accordingly.

4329.1.2010 16:56

Wow, i have been out of the site for a while but it is nice to come back and see good intelligent banter again. So why not add my 1/2 cents worth.

I have both consoles, and as stated above i bought the PS3 for playing Blu-Ray as i already had a 360 with a decent collection of games. I did eventually go out and buy some games for the PS3 that i also had for the 360 to play with friends who did not have a 360.

In my personal experience, the games that i had for both played better on a 360. And from a lot of game site reviews most testers rate the PS3 games worse then their Xbox 360 counterpart, and state that they are usually developed for 360 and ported to PS3. And porting usually does not turn out great products.

When you go to compare things like the online service, Yes PS3 has one advantage. It is free. But when you compare it to the ever evolving monster that is Xbox Live well Xbox Live wins hands down and is worth every bit of your $50 a year subscription price.

As far as exclusives go i think that although it may cut profits for certain game developers, it is ultimately their own choice. And i think they are a good thing. You cannot sit there and say that an exclusive game release for a certain console has not made you think about buying that console just for that game. Forza being a perfect example as every edition has been crafted by a company who REALLY cares about the product they put out, and not just about how much they make. That is why every edition of Forza has turned out to be the best pure racing game for any true gear-head who has a console. Attention to detail goes a long way with your fans.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Jan 2010 @ 4:58

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive