AfterDawn: Tech news

Gaming console thefts grow exponentially

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 17 Dec 2009 12:26 User comments (15)

Gaming console thefts grow exponentially According to USA Today, citing data from the FBI, gaming console thefts have risen a giant 285 percent since 2007, mainly due to the jump in popularity of consoles in general, especially handhelds such as the DS and the PSP.
FBI representative Anthony Weiner adds: "They seem to become bigger targets for theft. It's the omnipresent, miniature electronics crime paradox: Even as crime goes down, when you have more electronics, you have more theft."

In 2007, overall gaming system thefts was 11,074. That number jumped to 21,732 in 2008 and has jumped to 42,615 so far in 2009. On the other hand, overall property crime (including electronics thefts) has fallen from 10 million in 2006 to 9.8 million in 2009.

Notes Larry J. Siegel, criminologist at the University of Massachusetts-Lowell: "Criminals are rational. They steal things that have high value, are easily transportable and easily sold. The most expensive thing in my house is my refrigerator, but nobody is trying to steal my refrigerator."

Previous Next  

15 user comments

117.12.2009 21:31

Quote:
Notes Larry J. Siegel, criminologist at the University of Massachusetts-Lowell: "Criminals are rational. They steal things that have high value, are easily transportable and easily sold. The most expensive thing in my house is my refrigerator, but nobody is trying to steal my refrigerator."
this says it all. It's about how much can they sell it for.

217.12.2009 22:05

Quote:
Note to self, do not pursue a career in criminology or work at the University of Massachusetts-Lowell. I desire more than a refrigerator in life.

317.12.2009 22:58

Quote:
Someone needs to steal this guy's fridge just to make him eat those words.

417.12.2009 23:08

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

he obviously doesn't own much if thats his most expensive thing.my refridgerator was only $300, im sure some of my stuff is worth more than that and if it isn't it will be when i get my LCD Tv and my PS3.

518.12.2009 00:23

Quote:
Quote:

he obviously doesn't own much if thats his most expensive thing.my refridgerator was only $300, im sure some of my stuff is worth more than that and if it isn't it will be when i get my LCD Tv and my PS3.
Obviously we have no idea what we are talking about...All bets would be that he has some ordinary fridge, but what if he has one of these bad boys? At~ $11.000,I think would be valuable enough,just a tad more than some "fancy" PS3... Since none of us really saw the dude's den, we're just making assumptions, one way or the other...

http://most-expensive.net/refrigerator
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Dec 2009 @ 12:24

618.12.2009 05:06

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Obviously we have no idea what we are talking about...All bets would be that he has some ordinary fridge, but what if he has one of these bad boys? At~ $11.000,I think would be valuable enough,just a tad more than some "fancy" PS3... Since none of us really saw the dude's den, we're just making assumptions, one way or the other...

It seems that someone with a $11,000 fridge would also have a car, presumably worth more than $11,000...and I would also assume that said car is very portable, and that the person would take it with them when they left the house...much like one might treat a PSP; except that they do not leave a PSP in the parking lot. Also, $11,000 refrigerators are for people who dump too much money into everything. I would immagine that most people who bought that fridge would be the same people who bought 60" Plasma TVs back when they were $20,000+.

Most people buy refrigerators that are under $1500; beyond $1000 you stop seeing extra features, space, and efficiency...you are just paying for appearances; and there are plenty of good looking units in the sub-$1000 range. However, spending more on a PC, TV, etc tends to give more features, better performance, or a larger screen. This is why (for the most part) people will spend more on entertainment items than on appliances.

I still think it would be funny if someone stole this guy's most valuable posession, complete with all the food in it.

718.12.2009 17:53

To Mr. Siegel: The last time I checked, no single kid can move let alone steal your fridge. Which one do you think a kid whos got sticky fingets wants the most, a fridge or a console? It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure it out either. If you and the fridge would like to be left alone, then by all means more power to you, since it seems like a fridge at home is by far more important than some damn console on some shelf! - BLUEBOY

818.12.2009 20:04

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It seems that someone with a $11,000 fridge would also have a car, presumably worth more than $11,000...and I would also assume that said car is very portable, and that the person would take it with them when they left the house...much like one might treat a PSP; except that they do not leave a PSP in the parking lot. Also, $11,000 refrigerators are for people who dump too much money into everything. I would immagine that most people who bought that fridge would be the same people who bought 60" Plasma TVs back when they were $20,000+.

Most people buy refrigerators that are under $1500; beyond $1000 you stop seeing extra features, space, and efficiency...you are just paying for appearances; and there are plenty of good looking units in the sub-$1000 range. However, spending more on a PC, TV, etc tends to give more features, better performance, or a larger screen. This is why (for the most part) people will spend more on entertainment items than on appliances.

I still think it would be funny if someone stole this guy's most valuable posession, complete with all the food in it.
betwen car alarms and low jack and GPS stealing cars is a laoded move....then again it helps to be "loaded" when you steal one.....

also how dose one put a car in the front room of ones house? Sure some fo the crappy over price imports might fit through the front door....
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Dec 2009 @ 8:06

918.12.2009 23:48

Originally posted by Zippy:
betwen car alarms and low jack and GPS stealing cars is a laoded move....then again it helps to be "loaded" when you steal one.....

also how dose one put a car in the front room of ones house? Sure some fo the crappy over price imports might fit through the front door....
Cars in a box, they had em in WW2.

anyway WTF kind of name is Anthony Weiner, i would have a bet he got picked on at school.

1018.12.2009 23:55

Quote:

anyway WTF kind of name is Anthony Weiner, i would have a bet he got picked on at school.
The name is not what makes a person, I know a lot Dicks that aren't that, are pretty cool guys, and plenty of others that have much prettier names and $h!te for brains...

1119.12.2009 02:19

Quote:
Quote:

The name is not what makes a person, I know a lot Dicks that aren't that, are pretty cool guys, and plenty of others that have much prettier names and $h!te for brains...
yeah, but still, id rather be called Dick than Weiner. its probably pronounced Winer or something like that

1219.12.2009 08:49

Quote:

Quote:

actually if you steal the right car or a car with good modified parts in it and you take it to an automotive chopshop you can get quite a bit of money for it.car sterio thefts use to be big in australia.not many people sit at home thinking i need a new fridge but teenagers sit around thinking wouldnt it be cool if i got a ps3 we'd have something to do.

1319.12.2009 09:41

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yeah, but still, id rather be called Dick than Weiner. its probably pronounced Winer or something like that

...or it could be German or something)))....
Originally posted by xboxdvl2:
actually if you steal the right car or a car with good modified parts in it and you take it to an automotive chopshop you can get quite a bit of money for it.car sterio thefts use to be big in australia.not many people sit at home thinking i need a new fridge but teenagers sit around thinking wouldnt it be cool if i got a ps3 we'd have something to do.
Quote:

LOL, is that experience talking?))

145.1.2010 21:47
jodie111
Inactive

SPAM removed

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 Jan 2010 @ 7:02

155.1.2010 21:58

And you think you are one of those "smart" spammers, aren't you?

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive