AfterDawn: Tech news

MOD Systems adds SD card playback support to new devices

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 10 Jan 2010 11:12 User comments (9)

MOD Systems adds SD card playback support to new devices

The kiosk company MOD Systems, which launched in October has said today that playback support of its movie downloads has been extended to all PCs, and soon to Blu-ray players, HDTVs and other devices with SD card slots.
MOD kiosks offer movies from Warner Bros. and Paramount which are downloaded to SD cards. Despite SD cards being supported by many devices, the movies could only, until now, be played back on MOD SD set-top boxes.

Additionally, MOD says they have created technology that will allow device makers to add MOD support, through easy firmware updates. Players that can playback MOD will have the name "GreenPlay."

Previous Next  

9 user comments

110.1.2010 23:49

I see a Led Zeppelin album :)

Never heard of this company, but this is the way to go. Proprietary crap is a no-no unless you wanna stay small.

311.1.2010 01:16

I doubt the idea of replacing DVD racks with Kiosks in retail stores will catch on. Redbox is one way for consumers to get their feet wet with automated downloading but honestly how many people know what a SD card is? They don't even use the automatic order-taker at Jack In The Box.

411.1.2010 22:26

Originally posted by Hrdrk20:
I doubt the idea of replacing DVD racks with Kiosks in retail stores will catch on. Redbox is one way for consumers to get their feet wet with automated downloading but honestly how many people know what a SD card is? They don't even use the automatic order-taker at Jack In The Box.
Very true if I said SD card to half the people I know they would think I was speaking a different language, even though they probably own one.

512.1.2010 00:02

Quote:
Originally posted by Hrdrk20:
Very true if I said SD card to half the people I know they would think I was speaking a different language, even though they probably own one.
Do you know how many parents of 5+ year old's with digital cameras, they know what SD,XD,smart and other camera cards are :P(well mabye not XD and smart LOL)

612.1.2010 13:30

I'm with Zippy on this one.
Over the weekend I was with my very novice, but not dumb, family.
I was busy configuring their Fios DVR to show on all TV's in the house and we started talking about Blue Ray and movie formats and such.
My very novice brother in law says: "Blue Ray isn't going to be around that long, don't you think?"
I was VERY curious why he thought that so I asked him and he said that he figured everything would be online or on SD chips.
And this is a guy who doen't know the difference between an SD chip and a USB flash drive.

The working knowledge is getting out there. Much faster then we ever expected.

712.1.2010 14:15

Originally posted by ThePastor:
I'm with Zippy on this one.
Over the weekend I was with my very novice, but not dumb, family.
I was busy configuring their Fios DVR to show on all TV's in the house and we started talking about Blue Ray and movie formats and such.
My very novice brother in law says: "Blue Ray isn't going to be around that long, don't you think?"
I was VERY curious why he thought that so I asked him and he said that he figured everything would be online or on SD chips.
And this is a guy who doen't know the difference between an SD chip and a USB flash drive.

The working knowledge is getting out there. Much faster then we ever expected.
Well he dose have a point will it last like DVD, and all I can think of yes it will as rural has to catch up with city net wise.

I mean if one has 20$ a month 500-2000KBPS wireless cell based internet and TV broadcast that can revive data you'll have a merging of TV and the internet or data streams. But thats 10 or 20+ years off.

Then again I think to much :P

But really when a 10$ SD chip has 50GB of space on it then discs will be a thing of the past...

812.1.2010 14:59

I just bought a WDTV unit for my friend. He had no clue what such a device could do. I gave him a HD with a bunch of movies on it and he was instanly sold on the technology and the first thing he asked me was "How hard is it to convert my DVD's"?

912.1.2010 15:06

Originally posted by ThePastor:
I just bought a WDTV unit for my friend. He had no clue what such a device could do. I gave him a HD with a bunch of movies on it and he was instanly sold on the technology and the first thing he asked me was "How hard is it to convert my DVD's"?
I hate DVDs, they take forever to load and force you half the time to sit through ads.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive