AfterDawn: Tech news

Nokia N900 Maemo handset unveiled -- with hands-on video

Written by Matti Robinson @ 27 Aug 2009 9:05 User comments (37)

Nokia N900 Maemo handset unveiled -- with hands-on video

Nokia has today announced the highly anticipated N900 (aka Rover, RX-51) Maemo 5 handset. The mobile computer is packed with a 3,5 inch 800x480 resistive touchscreen, 600MHz ARM Cortex-A8 processor, OpenGL ES 2.0 graphics accelerator, 32GB of flash memory, WiFi, A-GPS, 3,5mm AV connector, 5 megapixel camera with dual LED flash, FM transmitter and quad band GSM/EDGE and WCDMA at 900/1700/2100MHz -- yes, it's a phone too!
The press release boldly states that the device is "designed for computer-grade performance in a compact size" with the help of Linux-based Maemo 5 OS, browser based on Mozilla technology, Adobe Flash 9.4 support and last but definitely not least 1 gigabyte of application memory (256MB RAM and 768MB virtual memory).

The phone/mobile computer/internet tablet/superman will be showcased next week at Nokia World and will go on sale in selected markets in October 2009 with an estimated retail price of 500 euros before sales taxes.

Nokia Conversations has kindly released couple of videos that give a nice little sneak preview what is the company's first Maemo-based phone.

More information about Maemo and N900 can be found at http://maemo.nokia.com. Check out the videos and pictures below.

Previous Next  

37 user comments

127.8.2009 12:15

Looks nice, but way thicker than what I would like. Still love the N97 design over anything out there right now.

227.8.2009 14:30

this phone is absolutely nothing special. i have no idea why its being touted as such a high end phone, it has a crappy resistive touch screen and a 5mp camera which is becoming almost standard on smartphones.speeds are nothing spectacular and the size is just ridiculous.

motorola sholes will be much better in october, even without android the sholes has better hardware.

327.8.2009 16:22

Originally posted by jetyi83:
this phone is absolutely nothing special. i have no idea why its being touted as such a high end phone, it has a crappy resistive touch screen and a 5mp camera which is becoming almost standard on smartphones.speeds are nothing spectacular and the size is just ridiculous.

motorola sholes will be much better in october, even without android the sholes has better hardware.
LOL you clearly dont know what at A8 proccessor is, if you call this product nothing spectacular.

and that resolution is practially unheard of in a 3.5" screen.

this is fantastic, i just withthey used android instead of S60. actualyl i wish they used webOS, but we know thats not happeneing.

427.8.2009 21:23
Vmaxx
Inactive

Awesome phone, wish we can get it here in Canada

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Aug 2009 @ 8:07

528.8.2009 04:25

Quote:
this is fantastic, i just withthey used android instead of S60. actualyl i wish they used webOS, but we know thats not happeneing.
And you might know what an ARM 8 Cortex is but what you don't know is that this baby doesn't run on S60. The big thing about it is the Maemo 5 OS which is a GNU/Linux system, put that together with the OpenGL ES capabilities and the availability of nearly any linux app that runs on x86 for most of the other architectures (one of those arm ^_^) and what you get is that virtually ANY APP YOU CAN RUN ON YOUR LINUX DESKTOP can be on your pocket always, everywhere.

Quote:
Looks nice

Quote:
fantastic
I just don't have a good enough word for something like this.

628.8.2009 10:13

yeah face palm to me :D

728.8.2009 20:10
Daniel_1
Inactive

The strange thing is that Nokia is marketing this to a very select few. Not all people use GSM or WCDMA, and to be frank...the vast majority of the world still uses CDMA. So why Nokia would intentionally ignore close to 4 billion potential customers is not a very wise business move and could be why they are falling in the international stock market.

828.8.2009 20:39

Originally posted by Daniel_1:
The strange thing is that Nokia is marketing this to a very select few. Not all people use GSM or WCDMA, and to be frank...the vast majority of the world still uses CDMA. So why Nokia would intentionally ignore close to 4 billion potential customers is not a very wise business move and could be why they are falling in the international stock market.
now you need a face palm, CDMA is mainly a northers american thing.

GSM is world wide.

928.8.2009 21:37
chris4160
Inactive

This looked nice, until I saw the slide down keyboard, I much rather prefer the touch screen ones. I wonder if it will be cheaper than the iphone though.

1029.8.2009 00:19
Daniel_1
Inactive

Quote:

GSM is world wide.

And you obviously dont know what you are talking about. GSM is NOT as world wide as you would think, it is used in Europe and India and a very few countries in Southeast Asia. Now unless you want to dispute Nokia's Tech Support as well as the sim card maker for the GSM, then it is very possible that YOU are the one that needs a face palm, and quite a few until reality sets in where you live. ~2.5 billion+ CDMA subscribers world-wide~1.4 billion GSM subscribers world-wide according to Cellphone Today (an internal cellphone makers magazine)and USA Today..the CDMA outnumbers GSM by over 2 to 1 and a lot more people are going CDMA based on the fact that it is safer then GSM. If you lose your GSM phone they replace the sim card and they have your phone and it works. ON the other hand you replace a sim card in a CDMA and it LOCKS the phone making it completely useless to thieves. You need to brush up on your tech before talking to the big boys or adults.

1129.8.2009 03:56

Originally posted by chris4160:
This looked nice, until I saw the slide down keyboard, I much rather prefer the touch screen ones. I wonder if it will be cheaper than the iphone though.
I currently own an n810 nokia internet tablet, which is basically an n800 with a few different things. I've tried the onscreen keyboard and quickly switched to the slide down one. Which makes the difference is that on a real keyboard you have tactile feedback of what you've pressed, while in the touchscreen the only feedback you get is a 'click' sound, but no feeling of anything but a flat surface under your fingers, not to talk about the screen space you loose (i.e. writing a text document, the finger-friendly fullscreen keyboard won't allow you to see your work).

A friend of mine owns an n800 and fell in love with mine when he tried the keyboard, also I find it faster to type, alhough I am willing to believe some people that will tell me they type faster on their iphone (anyways I'm not a child anymore so not interested in this kind of races :P).

If we were talking about a haptic feedback multi-touch screen that might be another story, but since I've never tried one I can't be sure. I heard something about apple putting this type of screen on a new iphone back on july, but as of today I believe they are not buying it yet, you know, roumors are roumors. Even if it had, there is still the screen space issue which I find isn't less annoying.

I must say that the reasons I said in my previous post are enough for me to prefer this over the iphone, but i understand not everyone are linux geeks and I suppose a lot of people will be attracted by the iphone and won't have that 'I'm on a cage' feeling. I'm just talking about my preferences and I don't like flames so I won't reply to flame-like posts, don't bother to write them please ;).

1229.8.2009 04:05
chris4160
Inactive

Quote:
Originally posted by chris4160:
I currently own an n810 nokia internet tablet, which is basically an n800 with a few different things. I've tried the onscreen keyboard and quickly switched to the slide down one. Which makes the difference is that on a real keyboard you have tactile feedback of what you've pressed, while in the touchscreen the only feedback you get is a 'click' sound, but no feeling of anything but a flat surface under your fingers, not to talk about the screen space you loose (i.e. writing a text document, the finger-friendly fullscreen keyboard won't allow you to see your work).

A friend of mine owns an n800 and fell in love with mine when he tried the keyboard, also I find it faster to type, alhough I am willing to believe some people that will tell me they type faster on their iphone (anyways I'm not a child anymore so not interested in this kind of races :P).

If we were talking about a haptic feedback multi-touch screen that might be another story, but since I've never tried one I can't be sure. I heard something about apple putting this type of screen on a new iphone back on july, but as of today I believe they are not buying it yet, you know, roumors are roumors. Even if it had, there is still the screen space issue which I find isn't less annoying.

I must say that the reasons I said in my previous post are enough for me to prefer this over the iphone, but i understand not everyone are linux geeks and I suppose a lot of people will be attracted by the iphone and won't have that 'I'm on a cage' feeling. I'm just talking about my preferences and I don't like flames so I won't reply to flame-like posts, don't bother to write them please ;).
I cannot use the slide down keyboards, I always press more than one button (and I have pretty good hand eye co-ordination).

Anyway, I thought the keyboard was the worst thing about this phone (in my mind), until I saw that tacky bar, imagine what it will look like after 3 months of being rested on an abrasive surface.

But it does look pretty awesome from the front. It would be a nice phone for people who like the features.

1329.8.2009 08:41

Can anyone PLEASE PLEASEE tell me why the hell is Nokia still going for resistive touch screens on all their phones ??

I mean after we all saw and experienced an iphone or a gphone's capacitive touch screen, you just feel like any stylus based phone is so old tech.

Thats one very small thing they can bring to their phones that will defenitly improve customer's perception of the phone, not to mention the comfort. I would personally never go back to using a stylus based phone (Im a G1 user) no matter what hardware they pack it with!.

1429.8.2009 10:04

Quote:
Quote:

GSM is world wide.

And you obviously dont know what you are talking about. GSM is NOT as world wide as you would think, it is used in Europe and India and a very few countries in Southeast Asia. Now unless you want to dispute Nokia's Tech Support as well as the sim card maker for the GSM, then it is very possible that YOU are the one that needs a face palm, and quite a few until reality sets in where you live. ~2.5 billion+ CDMA subscribers world-wide~1.4 billion GSM subscribers world-wide according to Cellphone Today (an internal cellphone makers magazine)and USA Today..the CDMA outnumbers GSM by over 2 to 1 and a lot more people are going CDMA based on the fact that it is safer then GSM. If you lose your GSM phone they replace the sim card and they have your phone and it works. ON the other hand you replace a sim card in a CDMA and it LOCKS the phone making it completely useless to thieves. You need to brush up on your tech before talking to the big boys or adults.

oh my :(

http://www.gsmworld.com/

http://cdg.org/

CLEARLY it supports YOUR opinion, doesnt it?!

nearly 4billion for GSM and nearly 600 million for CDMA......

another quote, albeit from wiki

Quote:
GSM (Global System for Mobile communications: originally from Groupe Spécial Mobile) is the most popular standard for mobile phones in the world. Its promoter, the GSM Association, estimates that 80% of the global mobile market uses the standard.[1] GSM is used by over 3 billion people across more than 212 countries and territories.[2][3] Its ubiquity makes international roaming very common between mobile phone operators, enabling subscribers to use their phones in many parts of the world. GSM differs from its predecessors in that both signaling and speech channels are digital, and thus is considered a second generation (2G) mobile phone system. This has also meant that data communication was easy to build into the system.

want more?

http://www.gsmworld.com/newsroom/market-...ata_summary.htm

over 80% GSM (and this was in 09 aswell)

1529.8.2009 12:43
Daniel_1
Inactive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

GSM is world wide.

oh my :(

http://www.gsmworld.com/

http://cdg.org/

CLEARLY it supports YOUR opinion, doesnt it?!

nearly 4billion for GSM and nearly 600 million for CDMA......

another quote, albeit from wiki

Quote:
GSM (Global System for Mobile communications: originally from Groupe Spécial Mobile) is the most popular standard for mobile phones in the world. Its promoter, the GSM Association, estimates that 80% of the global mobile market uses the standard.[1] GSM is used by over 3 billion people across more than 212 countries and territories.[2][3] Its ubiquity makes international roaming very common between mobile phone operators, enabling subscribers to use their phones in many parts of the world. GSM differs from its predecessors in that both signaling and speech channels are digital, and thus is considered a second generation (2G) mobile phone system. This has also meant that data communication was easy to build into the system.

want more?

over 80% GSM (and this was in 09 aswell)
Figures...you use a site that has not been updated in quite a while and yet another site that is changed on the whim of the reader, some real reliable sources you have there bucko. While I on the other hand use the insiders magazine and a world wide newspaper that are documented and validated. Hmmm, wonder just who we are going to believe......EHHHHH it sure aint you!

1629.8.2009 13:12

do you realise that wiki has sources?

do yuo realise you have not quoted any source with a link?

do you realise that you are making an are of your self?

1729.8.2009 13:16

wait, what do we have here, another site supporting over 4 billion GSM users?

http://www.gsmamobileinfolink.com/

WHAT IS THE WORLD COMIGN TO?!

PS

Market Data Summary

Connections by Bearer Technology

Number  	 Percentage
Total 	                        4,310,311,592 	 
cdmaOne 	                2,512,409 	0.06%
CDMA2000 1X 	                309,507,900 	7.18%
CDMA2000 1xEV-DO 	        121,821,983 	2.83%
CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rev. A 	13,912,386 	0.32%
GSM 	                        3,449,010,903 	80.02%
WCDMA 	                        255,773,412 	5.93%
WCDMA HSPA 	                132,079,727 	3.06%
TD-SCDMA 	                825,044 	0.02%
TDMA 	                        753,411 	0.02%
PDC 	                        2,752,436 	0.06%
iDEN 	21,361,981 	0.50% 

and that was updated 08/07/09...... thats such a long time ago, no?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Aug 2009 @ 1:20

1829.8.2009 13:48

I didn't notice any stylus use in the Nokia vids of this tablet phone. Personally I think the user should choose which kepad they want to use instead of Nokia forcing only a slide out one. A touch screen keypad hasn't done any damage to the iPhone. My only other reservation is that there are virtually zero apps for this new OS and so presumably early buyers will have to make do with the Nokia software only? Also presumably everything works in Panorama view only? That said this phone does look revolutionary to me.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Aug 2009 @ 1:49

1929.8.2009 14:22

Quote:
Originally posted by jetyi83:

LOL you clearly dont know what at A8 proccessor is, if you call this product nothing spectacular.

and that resolution is practially unheard of in a 3.5" screen.

resolution is no better than the sholes, what are you talking about? a8 processor no i havent heard, but im guessing its not any better than the snap dragon processor being used by the sony xperia. ths sholes is using a 3d gpu. like i said this phone is nothing special

2029.8.2009 19:21

Originally posted by Discmania:
I didn't notice any stylus use in the Nokia vids of this tablet phone. Personally I think the user should choose which kepad they want to use instead of Nokia forcing only a slide out one. A touch screen keypad hasn't done any damage to the iPhone.

The n900 interface is supposed to be fully finger-friendly, that's why no stylus is shown in the demos. About the onscreen keyboard you might be lucky, according to this it will be an option.

My only other reservation is that there are virtually zero apps for this new OS and so presumably early buyers will have to make do with the Nokia software only?
There are no officially downloadable apps yet. But you already can find ~2800 packages in the Fremantle (Maemo 5) repository ready for release (look at the latest packages section in extras-devel and nokia-binaries, they update every few hours O.O) Also notice you can find 477 straightforward-portable apps for the maemo 4 platform in the maemo.org site and a whole bunch of other repos available. Put that together with over 25113 apps in debian package database already ported to ARM and most of them easily portable/already ported to maemo with a few changes. Apart from that even linux apps not in the repos can be ported.

Did i mention this is a click away on the application manager (ok, not true for not-yet-ported apps xD) and completely free-of-charge??

Also presumably everything works in Panorama view only

Device Orientation:

Quote:

Hildon is optimized for full functionality with Landscape screen orientation. Although both orientations are supported, framework level functionalities such as the status bar, back/close, are not available in Portrait mode.
The switch between orientation modes can be done by the Hildon framework transparently for the application developer. The only relevant decisions for application developers are whether to request the portrait orientation mode and which interface elements to use on it.
Portrait mode is intended for simplified, one-handed use. Functionality may, and should, be limited in this orientation. For example, a Now Playing message for a media application, a read view for a PDF reading application, or simplified call handle controls.
System notifications, error messages and progress indicators are only displayed in Landscape orientation. In Portrait mode, only incoming call notifications are displayed on the screen; other notifications are indicated by sound, vibration, or LED.
That said this phone does look revolutionary to me.
Yay!! ^_^

2129.8.2009 19:37
Daniel_1
Inactive

Originally posted by shaffaaf:
wait, what do we have here, another site supporting over 4 billion GSM users?

http://www.gsmamobileinfolink.com/

WHAT IS THE WORLD COMIGN TO?!

PS

Market Data Summary

Connections by Bearer Technology

Number  	 Percentage
Total 	                        4,310,311,592 	 
cdmaOne 	                2,512,409 	0.06%
CDMA2000 1X 	                309,507,900 	7.18%
CDMA2000 1xEV-DO 	        121,821,983 	2.83%
CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rev. A 	13,912,386 	0.32%
GSM 	                        3,449,010,903 	80.02%
WCDMA 	                        255,773,412 	5.93%
WCDMA HSPA 	                132,079,727 	3.06%
TD-SCDMA 	                825,044 	0.02%
TDMA 	                        753,411 	0.02%
PDC 	                        2,752,436 	0.06%
iDEN 	21,361,981 	0.50% 

and that was updated 08/07/09...... thats such a long time ago, no?
Oh wait, yet another of your endless sites that have not been updated for quite a while. And yes, 3 weeks in cyber time is a lifetime. Nice try in blowing smoke, but yet again you use non updated sites or sites that can be rewritten at the readers whim while I gave you quotes from the insiders magazine and a worldwide newspaper with more respect then all your "sites" combined. Keep posting sites like this and people will think you are getting desperate in your posts to convince anyone but yourself.

2229.8.2009 19:56

ok hands up seriously, who belives this person that GSM is less used than CDMA?

he belives in 3 weeks since that table that 3/4 of GSM users swapped to CDMA phones

http://www.cdg.org/
A consortium of companies who have joined together to lead the adoption and evolution of CDMA wireless systems around the world.

thats what the website is. aka the official CDMA website. they say there are just under 600 million subscribers, albeit Q1 2009. are you saying in 1Q CDMA grew 4 times?

2329.8.2009 19:58

PS wiki atricles have sources at the footnote to back up what they say, so PLEASE dont give any BS that wiki is unerialble, when there is a source (are sources) to back it up.

2429.8.2009 20:03
Daniel_1
Inactive

ok hands up seriously, who belives this person that GSM is less used than CDMA?

he belives in 3 weeks since that table that 3/4 of GSM users swapped to CDMA phones

http://www.cdg.org/
A consortium of companies who have joined together to lead the adoption and evolution of CDMA wireless systems around the world.

thats what the website is. aka the official CDMA website. they say there are just under 600 million subscribers, albeit Q1 2009. are you saying in 1Q CDMA grew 4 times?

Ok hands up for everyone who believes this poster with sites that have not been updated in some cases for three weeks and in others for over 8 months, and also using wikipedia, a site that can be changed at the whim of the reader; as supposed valid sources?

Nokia says I am correct-USA Today says I am correct and BOTH of these two sites have a better reputation in the world then every site you have posted so far COMBINED!

You are going to lose so you might as well give up now as to continue to post outdated sites as a supposed form of "valid" proof does more damage to your argument then anything I could post. IN short, you are cutting your own throat with every post you make. So I have to ask and no offense intended, but do you really try this hard to make yourself look this foolish? Your sites are disputable, mine are not. It is as simple as that.

2529.8.2009 20:12
Daniel_1
Inactive

PS wiki atricles have sources at the footnote to back up what they say, so PLEASE dont give any BS that wiki is unerialble, when there is a source (are sources) to back it up.
The only BS I see here is you claiming that it IS reliable. DUde I can go there and sign in and make it say the moon is made of green cheese and use Dr.Suess as my source. Wikipedia will take it as fact till someone changes it back. THAT is why it CANNOT be used as a valid source as it can be changed on a whim. And OMT dude, how are you so sure that the sources that are quoted by Wikipedia are factual? I give you the Dan Rathergate...Dan rather and his producer KNEW that the papers they tried to foster off were phoney as a three dollar bill, yet they did it anyway. And Mapes went so far as to go to Wikipedia and try to use the same3 discredited source to prove the phoney documents were real till she got caught. Yet ANOTHER proof that Wikipedia cannot be used as a valid source. They have an ongoing feud with Scientology and every time they (wikipedia) changes something, a member of that cult can go right back in and change it back to whatever they want it to say.

Sorry dude, normal rational people do not use Wikipedia as a valid source exactly for this reason. And if you were in my law classes and tried this, you would be laughed out of the room and the University.

So nice smokescreen, but no dice.

2629.8.2009 20:12

so using the official GSM and CDMA sites are unreliable?

WHERE IS YOUR PROOF?!

i have given countless ammount of proof, all you do is go on abotu an article that may or may not exist. please post your proof

2730.8.2009 11:28
Daniel_1
Inactive

WHERE IS YOUR PROOF?!

i have given countless ammount of proof, all you do is go on abotu an article that may or may not exist. please post your proof
I already gave you my proof and you gave me nothing to prove what you said except non updated links and sites *worthless* and a site that changes faster then you come up with worthless sites that have not been updated in 3 weeks or more (wikipedia) So tell you want. You come up with a site that was updates in the last three or four days and disputes Nokia and USA today, and then I will give you the Nokia sites and the USA today sites that say you are full of it.

Remember, YOU disputed my earlier post and was challenged to prove your statement and you have YET to do so. IN a debate when you are challenged then it is up to YOU to prove different and so far every site you have brought up has been about as valid as a fart in a high wind. In sort, not at all.

2830.8.2009 11:35
Daniel_1
Inactive

WHERE IS YOUR PROOF?!

i have given countless amount of proof, all you do is go on abotu an article that may or may not exist. please post your proof
CDMA sites? PUH-LEAZE The site you SAY is a CDMA site is nothing more then a sub division of the GSM makers and you would have known that if you had bothered to check who owned it. And anyone with any sense of how to use a computer can do this with ease. So it boils down to the fact that EVERY SINGLE SITE, except for the *changes every second* Wikipedia site; is in actuallity nothing more then a GSM site or an off shoot and again, not one of the GSM sites you provided has been updated in 3 weeks or more.

As such not one of your sites can be used as valid proof of anything.
And remember the rules of a debate is snce you challeneged me, you now have to PROVE what you say with DOCUMENTED AND VALIDATED sources, not sources that can change in a second or are not being kept up by their companies or IT departments. Sorry, you have not provided ONE iota of proof to document what you claimed.

2930.8.2009 13:18

thus far the ammount of proof you have given comes to a total ammount of 0.

thats all have to say. you spew your BS and i'll keep giving proof.

3030.8.2009 13:26
Daniel_1
Inactive

thus far the ammount of proof you have given comes to a total ammount of 0.

thats all have to say. you spew your BS and i'll keep giving proof.
YOu have given no proof no matter what you say. All you have done is post sites that have not been updated with recent info and a site that changes faster then you change drawers.

Sorry guy, you have posted nothing to disprove what I have said no matter what you claim or what non updated sites or sub sites you use.

Come back when you know how to do a search properly or check the ownership of a site and then just MAYBE you might have something other then the crappy misinformation sites you are using.

312.9.2009 09:00

Hey guys,
This GSM / CDMA debate is just so pointless.
At the end of the day its a GSM phone so we'll be able to get our hands on it and they won't.
End of story.

322.9.2009 09:21
Daniel_1
Inactive

Originally posted by liassic:
Hey guys,
This GSM / CDMA debate is just so pointless.
At the end of the day its a GSM phone so we'll be able to get our hands on it and they won't.
End of story.

---------------
I agree totally. That is why I cannot understand why shaffaaf continues to quote these outlandish tales. He has no proof of his statements yet he continues on siting the same unproven-non updated-changes faster then he changes his drawers sites. You would think after the second time of being smacked down, he would learn.

The phone is a nice phone and very decently controlled. My buddy has T-Mobile which uses GSM and he has this phone and is very pleased with it. I have played with it and am more then a little impressed with the ease of use of the controls as well as the apps that come with it. And even IF it was a CDMA phone, I just could not see spending the money Nokia was asking for it as well as being forced to spend over $100. a month on a cell bill because this would be classified as a "smart phone" and thus makes you pay higher rates for less minutes (Verizon charges you $110. a month for 500 minutes shared for their smart phones AND charges you for the phone besides!) Not really worth it if all you want to do is make a call and possibly send a text now and again.

332.9.2009 13:55

I also like the fact that this phone supports internet (SIP) calling as integrated standard like the E71 which for me is an absolute must. Can save the cost of this phone in calls in about a year!

342.9.2009 14:40
Daniel_1
Inactive

I also like the fact that this phone supports internet (SIP) calling as integrated standard like the E71 which for me is an absolute must. Can save the cost of this phone in calls in about a year!
It does? Hmmmm, must have missed that somehow. That just might make this worthwhile as you add this to a magic jack and you are pretty much set as the biggest cost would be the phone. your magic jack would cost you all of $20. a year for unlimited texting and phone calls as all the US is a local call and Russia/China is only a $.02 a minute.

353.9.2009 08:19

I use several different SIP providers. Here's one that gives free landline calls and cheap mobile calls around the globe. I'm in the UK and call quality is pretty good on a 3g network:-
www.poivy.com

363.9.2009 11:46
Daniel_1
Inactive

I use several different SIP providers. Here's one that gives free landline calls and cheap mobile calls around the globe. I'm in the UK and call quality is pretty good on a 3g network:-
www.poivy.com

Thank you for this info. I am going to have to seriously think about this and crunch some numbers to see if this would be worthwhile to get.

374.9.2009 10:48

Interestingly the N900 will also support free Skype video calling too. Amazing!

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive