AfterDawn: Tech news

PSN premium subscriptions detailed, online gaming still free for all

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 19 Dec 2009 1:02 User comments (51)

PSN premium subscriptions detailed, online gaming still free for all Putting to rest any worries that PlayStation 3 owners may have had that their online gaming would soon turn to a pay-for service such as Xbox Live Gold, a leaked survey showing off the company's considerations for premium subscriptions shows that online gaming will remain free for everyone using the PSN.
The survey, posted on CVG, shows that for $70-a-year, a premium PSN subscription would give users free access to PSOne Classics, full game trials, cross-game voice chat, Netflix without the disc in the tray at all times, user-to-user challenges, cloud storage and even an extended warranty.

"Sony is considering offering a premium PlayStation Network subscription in the future,"
reads the survey. "The subscription offering would provide new premium features you could choose to pay for and are in addition to the features currently available for free such as access to online multiplayer gaming (current features would remain free)."

The cheapest plan will be $30-a-year but will obviously offer the least services. Read all the options via the pic:

Previous Next  

51 user comments

119.12.2009 14:47

I think Option 2 is the best, I like the idea of free access to PS1 games, PSP minis and premium themes. Store discounts is also attractive, but the depends on the discount. I'd rather a regular music service over music videos and I think member-exclusive in-game content is a terrible idea. I would like Loyalty Rewards and Catch-Up TV sounds interesting if its free?

Customer service priority access I think is also a bad idea and an extended 3-year warranty is nice but I don't think it's necessary. I don't like automatic access to game betas because that's just less exciting then how it's done right now :P

Some things that need more details are token wagering, user-to-user challenges, trophy alerts and exclusive experiences with Sony brands.

OK, so I think that's my opinion. I wouldn't mind paying for a service like that. I would rather it be $59.99 CAD though since the 13% tax turns that into around $68.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Dec 2009 @ 2:48

219.12.2009 15:35

If they Added PS2 emulation it would be an instant Success

319.12.2009 16:34

You know, this was coming for a while, for premium subscription for Sony Network, and it was going to be a matter of time. This answer was to answer back to XBox Live, showing that Sony can be just as competitive as Microsoft can be in terms of online features. I'm just glad that they have given those people who just connect to the PSN free access. Basically, it's a PR move, to get more customers to the Playstation bandwagon. Will they be as successful as Live? That is the question, and that remains to be seen in the coming months ahead. - BLUEBOY

419.12.2009 16:50
p303
Inactive

Not sure what their thinking, why doesn't the $70 sub include everything? and then trickle the features down with price, down to the $30 sub... either way it seems like it would be pretty cool if they work out some of these bugs.

519.12.2009 16:53

like the original ps3 too many different versions

also when it comes to the UK the price will be 69.99 POUNDS! (ripped off again)

619.12.2009 17:00

f*** that I'm not paying for s***, f*** you sony for all the bulls*** options they're starting to sound like MS with all the bulls*** options with the console, hard drive, xboxlive,etc keep the s*** the way it had been. I buy the s*** I want and everything else should be free just like it's been.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Dec 2009 @ 5:01

719.12.2009 17:43
H08
Inactive

wtf? everything you have will still be free, there just saying if you want these extra things your going to have to pay

819.12.2009 18:31

Originally posted by Noamos:
f*** that I'm not paying for s***, f*** you sony for all the bulls*** options they're starting to sound like MS with all the bulls*** options with the console, hard drive, xboxlive,etc keep the s*** the way it had been. I buy the s*** I want and everything else should be free just like it's been.
Premium subscriptions are optional.

919.12.2009 19:14

Like 2 users have stated previously, are all of these versions really necessary? How about one that has everything?

Well, I'm sure this isn't the final product anyway so I suppose with all premature news... we will see.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Dec 2009 @ 7:15

1019.12.2009 19:41

"The cheapest plan will be $30 a month but will obviously offer the least services."

According to the pic the cheapest option is $4.99 a month, or $29.99 a year - you might want to edit your article. :)

1119.12.2009 19:47

Originally posted by EvilDeeds:
"The cheapest plan will be $30 a month but will obviously offer the least services."

According to the pic the cheapest option is $4.99 a month, or $29.99 a year - you might want to edit your article. :)
Indeed! thanks

1219.12.2009 20:02

Quote:
Originally posted by EvilDeeds:

Indeed! thanks
No problem. *high fives*

On the article - I'd probably take option 1, it's pretty cheap for an extended warranty alone over here... unfortunately, I'm in the UK - so if it comes over here then expect the dollar sign to be a pound sign, and the units to remain the same (if not go up!), which puts it slightly above xbox live in terms of annual subscription I'd imagine.

1319.12.2009 20:36

The problem with this is that there are too many options. There needs to be Premium or Non-Premium. Now there will be a majorly fractured user base. Say your an option 2 guy and want to dress up like your option 1, 3, or 4 friends with the "special content". Sorry, that particular "member only content" is available to option 2 people only. Have a demo you want to share with you friends? They better not be option 1 or option 4 friends! Don't you think that's a sweet music video?! Oops, I didn't know you were an option 3 or option 4. All this will just cause confusion and frustration for the customer.

1419.12.2009 20:52

Wtf, I thought the point of this article was to show the 4 options Sony was considering for their Premium Service and that they are conducting a survey to see which option people like the most, not that Sony is offering ALL of these 4 options at once when the service comes...

1519.12.2009 21:56

If I did have to pick though. I'd say option one. 3 year warranty isn't bad. That full 1 hour title trial is SWEET business btw.

1619.12.2009 22:15

I wish they had a build your own package. Neither of the 2 premuim packages 100% appeal to me they both have their pro's and cons.

1719.12.2009 22:32

Free Access to PSOne games ftw

1819.12.2009 22:51

Originally posted by canuckerz:
I wish they had a build your own package. Neither of the 2 premuim packages 100% appeal to me they both have their pro's and cons.
That is exactly how I feel and have been voicing my opinion about it...I would suggest at the very least have 2 options that are a bit more tailored to give better coverage for what the core gamer needs and the other for more casual.

Though I have to also say/add that $70 for the higher premium is a bit steep BUT in all honesty if the it had the best of all options (3 year warranty, free PS1 & beta access, loyalty rewards, online music/video service, cloud <- most important & etc) and maybe some not listed (like "X" amount of movie rentals via PSN <not Netflix>, cloud for gamesaves plus some others) then it truly wouldn't be that bad as it would/could cut out/minimize the totals of other expenses like Netflix/Blockbuster & Gamefly.

Basically an all in one stop/shop solution and completely optional as it stands.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Dec 2009 @ 10:53

1920.12.2009 01:42

So let's compare this to the 360 model where you HAVE to pay to play online. Thoughts?

2020.12.2009 06:59
av_verbal
Inactive

and ppl that don't pay will find out all about quality of connection as paying customers are given priority over the paupers, much like what happens to pay as you go telephones in the UK.

I though sony stated that the PSN will always be free, there is a bit of back peddling goin on here, i guess people are not as stupid as sony hoped when they loaded all that virtual stuff into home?

The Future

Quote:
NEW YORK—Sony Corporation chairman and CEO Howard Stringer gave the public a first glimpse of Steve, the latest model in the company’s highly anticipated line of ideal electronics consumers, during the Sony Corporation of America’s annual stockholders meeting Monday.

The new Steve will buy Sony products.

The 72-inch, 195-pound consumer—a 34-year-old unmarried financial analyst—is smaller, lighter, and swifter than last year’s beta-model consumer, Larry.

“Larry was much less mobile, which worked well for electronics enjoyment but less so for purchasing,” said Hideo Ichimonji, head of the design team for the Ideal Consumer Project. “Also, the Larry’s decision-processing became jammed when forced to choose from more than one potential Sony product. By implementing parallel-purchasing solutions and simplifying its personality traits, we’ve ensured that Steve will always be a loyal Sony customer without any annoying system shutdowns or buying freezes.”

Sony expects Steve to usher in a whole new generation of ideal consumers.

“With Steve, we’re introducing a range of cutting-edge consumer attributes that other electronics manufacturers can only dream of,” Stringer said during the half-hour demonstration, in which Steve smoothly and quickly selected high-end Sony home-theater components it researched on a Sony VAIO laptop while interfacing with Sony customers worldwide using a Sony Ericsson mobile phone.

“The integration of Steve’s simultaneous multi-credit-card-processing capabilities with its high earning capability allows our new U.S.-market flagship consumer to purchase our entire North American product line in a single clock cycle.”

Steve sports larger, pre-calloused thumbs and is fully backwards-compatible with Sony’s complete line of merchandise, extending back to the Trinitron television and cassette Walkman. Its debt threshold is also nearly two-thirds higher.

Several thousand Steves will be shipped to Asia and Europe for test-shopping next month. Steve will come in six different colors, with analysts expecting the white and yellow models to be much more successful than the black version.

Designers say Steve’s recharging capability is an improvement over Larry’s bulky and cumbersome charge port, which resembled a La-Z-Boy recliner.

“Steve can recharge on any reasonably comfortable surface, including a couch, desktop, floor, futon—anywhere that’s within range of a Sony product,” said Ichimonji, who also described the automatic sleep mode that activates when Steve has been out of contact with a Sony product for more than 30 minutes. “The Steve also has the power to consume our products on-the-go for up to three days on one charge. It’s also got a friendlier interface and improved social skills, and loves talking about Sony products in any social setting.”

Added Ichimonji: “Or you can just put Steve in front of an HDTV or send it on its way with a Sony PSP, and you’ll forget he even exists.”

Industry experts have praised the redesign, particularly the enormous numbers of visual, aural, and purchasing-suggestion inputs Steve can support. But the most talked-about feature seems to be its built-in anti-obsolescence feature, which enables it to continuously upgrade its preferences for Sony merchandise.

“Steve definitely looks to be an improvement,” said gaming enthusiast Jennie Weathers, 28, who planned to attend a demonstration at a Las Vegas electronics trade show this weekend. “The Larry was clunky, slow, and always making noise. Steve has a lot more free time and the flexibility to adapt to Sony retail stores and shopping sites like SonyStyle. And it seems like he’ll require very little upkeep or attention, but he’ll still be there when I just want to chill out and watch DVDs on my Sony WEGA HDTV or need some quick cheat tips for Kingdom Hearts II.”

Analysts say that Steve’s only real competition comes from Apple Computer’s own ideal consumer, the iBuy. But because the much more expensive iBuy is designed only to purchase and enjoy the pricier, but limited Apple product line, and is not intershoperable with other systems, Steve’s appeal will likely prove much broader.

Steve is scheduled for release in August, and Sony plans to have hundreds of thousands of models perusing store shelves by Christmas.

2120.12.2009 09:21

Quote:
and ppl that don't pay will find out all about quality of connection as paying customers are given priority over the paupers, much like what happens to pay as you go telephones in the UK.

I though sony stated that the PSN will always be free, there is a bit of back peddling goin on here, i guess people are not as stupid as sony hoped when they loaded all that virtual stuff into home?

The Future

Quote:
NEW YORK—Sony Corporation chairman and CEO Howard Stringer gave the public a first glimpse of Steve, the latest model in the company’s highly anticipated line of ideal electronics consumers, during the Sony Corporation of America’s annual stockholders meeting Monday.

The new Steve will buy Sony products.

The 72-inch, 195-pound consumer—a 34-year-old unmarried financial analyst—is smaller, lighter, and swifter than last year’s beta-model consumer, Larry.

“Larry was much less mobile, which worked well for electronics enjoyment but less so for purchasing,” said Hideo Ichimonji, head of the design team for the Ideal Consumer Project. “Also, the Larry’s decision-processing became jammed when forced to choose from more than one potential Sony product. By implementing parallel-purchasing solutions and simplifying its personality traits, we’ve ensured that Steve will always be a loyal Sony customer without any annoying system shutdowns or buying freezes.”

Sony expects Steve to usher in a whole new generation of ideal consumers.

“With Steve, we’re introducing a range of cutting-edge consumer attributes that other electronics manufacturers can only dream of,” Stringer said during the half-hour demonstration, in which Steve smoothly and quickly selected high-end Sony home-theater components it researched on a Sony VAIO laptop while interfacing with Sony customers worldwide using a Sony Ericsson mobile phone.

“The integration of Steve’s simultaneous multi-credit-card-processing capabilities with its high earning capability allows our new U.S.-market flagship consumer to purchase our entire North American product line in a single clock cycle.”

Steve sports larger, pre-calloused thumbs and is fully backwards-compatible with Sony’s complete line of merchandise, extending back to the Trinitron television and cassette Walkman. Its debt threshold is also nearly two-thirds higher.

Several thousand Steves will be shipped to Asia and Europe for test-shopping next month. Steve will come in six different colors, with analysts expecting the white and yellow models to be much more successful than the black version.

Designers say Steve’s recharging capability is an improvement over Larry’s bulky and cumbersome charge port, which resembled a La-Z-Boy recliner.

“Steve can recharge on any reasonably comfortable surface, including a couch, desktop, floor, futon—anywhere that’s within range of a Sony product,” said Ichimonji, who also described the automatic sleep mode that activates when Steve has been out of contact with a Sony product for more than 30 minutes. “The Steve also has the power to consume our products on-the-go for up to three days on one charge. It’s also got a friendlier interface and improved social skills, and loves talking about Sony products in any social setting.”

Added Ichimonji: “Or you can just put Steve in front of an HDTV or send it on its way with a Sony PSP, and you’ll forget he even exists.”

Industry experts have praised the redesign, particularly the enormous numbers of visual, aural, and purchasing-suggestion inputs Steve can support. But the most talked-about feature seems to be its built-in anti-obsolescence feature, which enables it to continuously upgrade its preferences for Sony merchandise.

“Steve definitely looks to be an improvement,” said gaming enthusiast Jennie Weathers, 28, who planned to attend a demonstration at a Las Vegas electronics trade show this weekend. “The Larry was clunky, slow, and always making noise. Steve has a lot more free time and the flexibility to adapt to Sony retail stores and shopping sites like SonyStyle. And it seems like he’ll require very little upkeep or attention, but he’ll still be there when I just want to chill out and watch DVDs on my Sony WEGA HDTV or need some quick cheat tips for Kingdom Hearts II.”

Analysts say that Steve’s only real competition comes from Apple Computer’s own ideal consumer, the iBuy. But because the much more expensive iBuy is designed only to purchase and enjoy the pricier, but limited Apple product line, and is not intershoperable with other systems, Steve’s appeal will likely prove much broader.

Steve is scheduled for release in August, and Sony plans to have hundreds of thousands of models perusing store shelves by Christmas.

LMAO

2220.12.2009 10:02

Originally posted by av_verbal:
What part of the PSN is still free don't you understand? As DVDBack, myself and other have clearly explained ~

Quote:
Premium subscriptions are optional
Also what does that wall of text have to do with this news? It is not on topic and does nothing to add to the discussion at hand.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 20 Dec 2009 @ 10:05

2320.12.2009 10:20

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckerz:
That is exactly how I feel and have been voicing my opinion about it...I would suggest at the very least have 2 options that are a bit more tailored to give better coverage for what the core gamer needs and the other for more casual.

Though I have to also say/add that $70 for the higher premium is a bit steep BUT in all honesty if the it had the best of all options (3 year warranty, free PS1 & beta access, loyalty rewards, online music/video service, cloud <- most important & etc) and maybe some not listed (like "X" amount of movie rentals via PSN <not Netflix>, cloud for gamesaves plus some others) then it truly wouldn't be that bad as it would/could cut out/minimize the totals of other expenses like Netflix/Blockbuster & Gamefly.

Basically an all in one stop/shop solution and completely optional as it stands.
I agree thuroughly. As is the price is pretty steep, but if you could build your own package with it I'd likely pay it. As is with the current selection I'm still on the fence.

Also heres a question, does it just extend the warranty to 3 years past when the ps3 was bought or 3 years from the subscription?

2420.12.2009 12:04

Option 1 really stands out to me but I'm a bit curious as to how the "online music service" is going to work. Would you be able to download mp3's as long as you're a subscriber? Beta access is looking pretty good to me as well. I'm intrigued about what "catch up TV" is.

2520.12.2009 12:37

Originally posted by xblade132:
Option 1 really stands out to me but I'm a bit curious as to how the "online music service" is going to work. Would you be able to download mp3's as long as you're a subscriber? Beta access is looking pretty good to me as well. I'm intrigued about what "catch up TV" is.
Rumor is "catch-up tv" is native Hulu playback.

2620.12.2009 12:56

Quote:

Ah, that is mighty intriguing.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 20 Dec 2009 @ 1:02

2720.12.2009 13:26

Quote:
I REALLY hope not. That pretty much screws everyone outta TV except for Americans...

2820.12.2009 15:07

Quote:
Quote:
I REALLY hope not. That pretty much screws everyone outta TV except for Americans...
It'll end up being Sky here most likely, unless Microsoft have made them sign with them exclusively.

2920.12.2009 17:04

<3 Hulu. I easily watch Hulu more than actual TV. I like watching TV when I actually want to watch TV. Sorry to you other guys who can't access Hulu though, that's a shame. I still would like this compared to 360's services.

3021.12.2009 02:24
Venom5880
Inactive

The only thing I want is cross-game voice chat. It's a shame they plan on charging for it.

It would make multiplayer on Demon's Souls so much easier to orchestrate.

3121.12.2009 08:11

Quote:
What part of the PSN is still free don't you understand? As DVDBack, myself and other have clearly explained ~

Quote:
Apparently All of it :P

3221.12.2009 12:17

Oner likes boys!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Dec 2009 @ 3:15

3321.12.2009 12:19
emugamer
Inactive

Quote:

Quote:
Also what does that wall of text have to do with this news? It is not on topic and does nothing to add to the discussion at hand.
If anything, the wall of text was entertaining :P Love the "white and yellow model" line.

3421.12.2009 14:20

Originally posted by jdurden:
The fact that $ony is breaking up the packages where, if you want to use facebook and P$One games, you will have to buy both packages for almost $140, what a scam, thanks but no thanks $ony, I'll keep paying $50 a year for everything.
You can't be serious? You can't possibly believe you have to buy 2 packages! Can you?...Simply Amazing....<shakes head slowly side to side>...This was a survey asking which 1 option would the person as a consumer be interested in. PLUS the shear fact you can access Facebook for free on the PS3's web browser itself already (as it always has been), thus nullifying your comment anyway...
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Dec 2009 @ 2:24

3521.12.2009 15:13

Quote:
The fact that $ony is breaking up the packages where, if you want to use facebook and P$One games, you will have to buy both packages for almost $140, what a scam, thanks but no thanks $ony, I'll keep paying $50 a year for everything.
You can't be serious? You can't possibly believe you have to buy 2 packages! Can you?...Simply Amazing....<shakes head slowly side to side>...This was a survey asking which 1 option would the person as a consumer be interested in. PLUS the shear fact you can access Facebook for free on the PS3's web browser itself already (as it always has been), thus nullifying your comment anyway...

HAHA, really, OMG! You're so smart! Is that why you analyze every quote and post your DB comment. <shakes his head slowly left to right> What a tool.

3621.12.2009 15:20

Quote:
Quote:

HAHA, really, OMG! You're so smart! Is that why you analyze every quote and post your DB comment. <shakes his head slowly left to right> What a tool.
Oh dear. If you weren't so ignorant and knew how to read, there wouldn't be a problem at all.

3721.12.2009 15:39

Originally posted by Morreale:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh dear. If you weren't so ignorant and knew how to read, there wouldn't be a problem at all.
TY Morreale.

jdurden ~ Apparently smarter than you ;) especially since you didn't even try to explain yourself! Not a single word about how you were wrong, misinformed or how your lack of comprehension clearly shows your ignorance...only an insult in reply. Whatever. That is all the acknowledgment I need to be satisfied and proven right. Way to go Brainiac. Way to go.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Dec 2009 @ 3:46

3822.12.2009 04:23

I don't have a problem with Sony implementing this. The way I see it, is that PSN is still free for all the things I use it for. Moreover, these subscriptions aren't compulsory, so I don't have to subscribe if I'm not interested in these services.

3922.12.2009 04:35

*super snip!*

Quote:
Quote:

Agreed.

Anyway, what's this Sony Brands about?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 22 Dec 2009 @ 4:35

4022.12.2009 06:06

It all makes sence now...

we have been begging for cross-game chat since they promised it to us 6 months before launch. Now they will finaly have it...at a fee.

And they killed Hulu support for no reason...clearly it was so that they could charge for it.

I wonder abou the "Automatic Downloads and Updates" thing...we don't have any choice about updates, they are required to play online. Does this mean that the only way to get the required updates is to have the service?

And what about this "Cloud Storage Space"...the whole point of the hard drive is that it is faster than the bluray drive...and the bluray drive is much faster than the internet in 99% of homes. Why would one want cloud storage space?

And what about the "Access to Beta Games" feature? We are doing Sony a service by testing these games in the beta stages (actualy, they are alpha stage; as the release stage is usualy as buggy as a beta). How can they charge us to work for them?

4122.12.2009 06:19
emugamer
Inactive

Originally posted by KillerBug:

we have been begging for cross-game chat since they promised it to us 6 months before launch. Now they will finaly have it...at a fee.

And they killed Hulu support for no reason...clearly it was so that they could charge for it.

I wonder abou the "Automatic Downloads and Updates" thing...we don't have any choice about updates, they are required to play online. Does this mean that the only way to get the required updates is to have the service?

And what about this "Cloud Storage Space"...the whole point of the hard drive is that it is faster than the bluray drive...and the bluray drive is much faster than the internet in 99% of homes. Why would one want cloud storage space?

And what about the "Access to Beta Games" feature? We are doing Sony a service by testing these games in the beta stages (actualy, they are alpha stage; as the release stage is usualy as buggy as a beta). How can they charge us to work for them?
I was thinking the same thing about the automatic downloads and updates. Having the choice of paying for the extras is great, unless they sneakily force you to pay anyway, And it's not even like they would let you pay the lower subscription to get updates. Online is free, but you can't game online unless your firmware is up-to-date, and you can't get up-to-date firmware unless you subscribe to the most expensive plan? Sounds too bad to be false. I'm hoping that "Automatic" means that you have to manually initiate the update.

4222.12.2009 07:33

Cloud Storage: Wouldn't be for things like storing your game on it for quicker loading, it will just mean that you don't have to cart your profile and saves around with you if you have more than one ps3 around the house, or to your friends house. It was an option they'd considered to slim the ps3 slim even more at one point, leave out the hdd and have saves on the net instead.

Automatic Downloads and Updates: Maybe it's more to do with automatically grabbing DLC (mission packs, extra levels, new features), rather than security/bug fix updates... also could be to do with things like wanting all the content available when it's available on a specific subject, like the next Assassins Creed or COD game... so all news, videos, images, demos, and eventually dlc. It's actually a half decent idea.

4322.12.2009 20:19

Hmm... As a late adopter of the PS3, this is interesting. I've been using the 360 for the past few years, and was on live long before that too.

Overall, I really like the system that Live has in place, and given it's broad functionality, I really don't mind paying an average of $5\month for that (When you buy it yearly).

Looking at the features here, many of the things are included in XBL's gold service, which for me is a hard sell against; because I'm established there, my friends are all there, it's where I'm 'planted'.

But that's not to say I wouldn't be interested in some of these options. In particular the second option, with free access to the PSOne library sounds like something that may be worth my while. I'm a very A.D.D. gamer, and I hate spending $60 on a game that may or may not keep me interested for more than a couple weeks. And most MMO's don't cut it very long either. :( Being able to put out $70 one time for unlimited access to the currently sold library of original PS titles(I know it's only a small fraction of what was actually released when the system was still selling in stores) would really give me a much better opportunity to sit down and play "WHATEVER" I'm in the mood for. If I want a good JRPG I could load up Wild Arms, if I wanted some action nostalgia I'd load up MGS, and if I was looking for a shooter I could play spec ops or rainbow six. They're old games, but for a low subscription price I'd bite. Hell, I stayed with gametap for several months until I had to switch to 64bit windows. That was $15\month for old computer games.

So, if PSN can really offer a decent catalog (At least 30-40 games) from the PS1 for a subscription fee that's cheap, I'd probably go for that plan.

The thing that bothers me with these plans, is that option 1 and 2 both offer features that would be big selling points.

Netflix without a disc would be very nice, that disc based interface is SO SLOW! And Catch-Up(aka Hulu) would be really nice too. I don't understand why Loyalty Program Rewards would only be on certain plans; but then Option 2, with it's PS1 collection is a big seller too.

Perhaps PSN could consider a DIY system:

-Free level, everything we get now
-Premium: Some extra features

-Optional add-ons for the premium, with cost that is proportionate.

For example, the Standard Premium could include the 5-10 most wanted features, then they could allow you to add a feature for $X.XX, much like a common cell phone plan. That would be a way to get exactly what we want as customers, and none of the fluff we don't.

I like the idea of a premium subscription, but I feel that these plans leave silly gaps. Sony should either offer 'add on' options to a basic plan, or make one plan that is an adequate combo of these.

4422.12.2009 20:49

Quote:
a leaked survey showing off the company's considerations for premium subscriptions shows that online gaming will remain free for everyone using the PSN.
i like the sound of this. I just wonder if they can make the premium features still free as in like if the gamer gets like all the trophies then they get the service to an ultimate level otherwise just leave it open for the basics.

Just wanted to add after reading the table one of the features that will be kewl is the cloud storage.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 22 Dec 2009 @ 8:52

4523.12.2009 04:15

The only thing that I see myself wanting out of all of this is the cross-game chat...and I can do something similar for free using my PC...so I am not going to pay sony $30 just to turn on a feature that costs them nothing to run. Perhapse if I had not been forced to wait so long for it, I might have been willing to pay just for the convenience...but it is too late now; it is already setup.

As for the PS1 games, sony has made it clear that no one wants PS2 support, and that they will never bring it back. They won't even put the most popular games on the PSN. Why do they think the PS1 games are so much better?

Anyone else tired of all of Sony's crap?

"PS2 games are old and obsolite, so we don't offer support for them...but we do offer even older and more obsolite PS1 games."

"Netflix works with the PS3 already...but if you don't want to constantly swap the disk in and out, we are going to charge you in order to use a service you have already paid for"

"Hulu is free, so we broke it. If you want to use this free service provided by someone else, then you have to pay us a monthly fee. Also, we released playTV in europe long ago...but we will never release it anywhere else as it might prevent people from paying us to let them access a free service from someone else."

"No one wants Linux support...so we removed it. We also implmented automatic email filters to prevent emails from the millions of users who use it."

"PSN will always be free...but we will only provide the features we have been promising for years to those who pay for it. Also, many of the features we have been promising for years will still not be available to anyone"

Still, in spite of all this, it is better than dealing with mICROsOFT.

4623.12.2009 22:13

The only thing that I see myself wanting out of all of this is the cross-game chat...and I can do something similar for free using my PC...so I am not going to pay sony $30 just to turn on a feature that costs them nothing to run. Perhapse if I had not been forced to wait so long for it, I might have been willing to pay just for the convenience...but it is too late now; it is already setup.

As for the PS1 games, sony has made it clear that no one wants PS2 support, and that they will never bring it back. They won't even put the most popular games on the PSN. Why do they think the PS1 games are so much better?

Anyone else tired of all of Sony's crap?

"PS2 games are old and obsolite, so we don't offer support for them...but we do offer even older and more obsolite PS1 games."

"Netflix works with the PS3 already...but if you don't want to constantly swap the disk in and out, we are going to charge you in order to use a service you have already paid for"

"Hulu is free, so we broke it. If you want to use this free service provided by someone else, then you have to pay us a monthly fee. Also, we released playTV in europe long ago...but we will never release it anywhere else as it might prevent people from paying us to let them access a free service from someone else."

"No one wants Linux support...so we removed it. We also implmented automatic email filters to prevent emails from the millions of users who use it."

"PSN will always be free...but we will only provide the features we have been promising for years to those who pay for it. Also, many of the features we have been promising for years will still not be available to anyone"

Still, in spite of all this, it is better than dealing with mICROsOFT.
Since most of your crap, as usual, is being pulled out of your own you-know-what, I'm more tired of all the made-up crap than Sony's.

4725.12.2009 20:59

i noticed that you can get extended warranty. im guessing that this will not apply if your console has already ran out of warranty? also does it mean that it is extended by 3 years (ie. to four years warranty) or to 3 years?

4827.12.2009 14:26

I'm guessing that a lot of what's on this (LEAKED, don't forget) survey is somewhat condensed for printing space and is, therefore, open to interpretation. Let's wait for confirmation from Sony about the contentious features before we storm their offices in protest, shall we?

4929.12.2009 17:11

it would be better if you could tailor the package like, each option is 5 dollars a year and you can choose which ones you want. eg i want customer service priority, exclusisve experirences, beta games, tokens, discounts, member only content, cloud storage and loyalty rewards. if they had custom packages which each option as 5 dollars then tht would cost 40. it means i dont have to pay for stuff i dont want and i get what i actually do want, otherwise i would need to get both option 1 and option 2 and pay 100 dollars, with most of the other services being completely ignored.

5029.12.2009 17:29

I'd really like it to be a DIY 'pay for your wants' program; but I honestly don't think Sony wants to make the system that complicated. They want folks to feel like it's easy; complicated feature choices will honestly turn off a lot of customers -maybe not tehcnophiles of the sort that peruse this board; but honestly, you have to realize that listing 10-20 features optional at sign up is going to overwhelm some users; and that's the last thing you want.

Case and point - Microsoft's XBL service.

You have a silver and a gold option. Silver is free, stripped down, and really very feature poor(Though it still has crossgame chat, lol). Gold has all the features like online gaming and netflix connectivity. It seems like a pretty simple system; but honestly working in a game store for a few months, I can't even begin to tell you how many parents were confused by this. They just couldn't wrap their head around something that's honestly pretty simple: "Do you want to play games online? Then get gold." But like I said, many customers don't understand something that simple. It's not because the product is ACTUALLY that complicated, it's because many of the less tech-savvy users subconsciously stop TRYING to understand if something looks like it MIGHT be technical.

I think Sony is trying to get some very different information here -they're trying to figure out which items would add the most value for a customer, which features would you be willing to pay more for? They're trying to assess the value of each of these to prospective customer, so that they can launch ONE premium package that customers will deem worthwhile. Sony wants to know how important Netflix, Cloud Storage, or a library of older games are to you the consumer.

I don't believe for a second that they're going to actually let us build our own packages. Even the idea that these options will be available is a longshot. Historical data shows that companies want to keep it as simple as possible when they launch; and coming forward with multiple choices\etc will scare some folks off. Let's face it, if nothing else Sony is a mainstream consumer company. They know that their biggest dollar comes from the average user -not from the high level advanced users.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a do-it-yourself feature approach, but it's just not realistic.

Either way, I'm eager to see what they come up with. Cloud storage sounds really convenient, as long as it doesn't ENTIRELY replace your hard drive as a storage medium(Anyone had an internet outage? Imagine not having access to ANY of your saves!) I think Sony will come out with a product that will be interesting.

Also, seriously guys, the MS hate? Honestly now, Sony, MS, and Nintendo are all congolmerates. They've all bought, sold, and traded fledgling studios; and they've all left customers feeling betrayed or poorly serviced at times. But they all work to repair the situation. MS has put a lot more money than they really needed into keeping users with working consoles, and that's more than I can say for the last generation when Sony shipped a lot of PS2's with faulty lasers. But you don't see me bashing Sony, they made a business decision not to cough up for those customers until a court mandated it. How a company treats their customers is just something you keep in mind when you buy; but honestly, none of these companies are out to get you. They don't want to give you bad service, they want you to be happy with their product. And frankly, they've all shown it in their own way this generation. SO regardless of what system you prefer, there's no reason to start bashing other manufacturers.

5130.12.2009 13:28

Quote:
Originally posted by Morreale:
Quote:
Quote:

TY Morreale.

jdurden ~ Apparently smarter than you ;) especially since you didn't even try to explain yourself! Not a single word about how you were wrong, misinformed or how your lack of comprehension clearly shows your ignorance...only an insult in reply. Whatever. That is all the acknowledgment I need to be satisfied and proven right. Way to go Brainiac. Way to go.
Woah, you guys still at it, nice, what's it been now, wow almost 3 solid weeks since my original post, you're right Oner, you really are edited for content, it was only a rumor in the begining, but now everyone knows for sure. Thank god, no one should hide who they really are. My bad, I'll make sure I read these PS posts before I blast the console from now on. I just get so caught up in the prospect of bashing the console that I just don't care enough to properly perouse the article. Don't worry I won't make that mistake again. I LOVE YOU!
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Dec 2009 @ 8:26

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive