AfterDawn: Tech news

Sony delays motion controller until Autumn

Written by James Delahunty @ 20 Jan 2010 5:41 User comments (12)

Sony delays motion controller until Autumn Sony Corp. has announced that it is delaying the release of its anticipated motion controller for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) console. The announcement of the delay comes just a week after it was revealed the launch of the new Gran Turismo title would be delayed.
Adding motion control helps Sony's PS3 compete with the popular Nintendo Wii console and with the upcoming Project Natal system due to launch by year's end for Microsoft's Xbox 360 console.

The launch of the motion control technology for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) has been delayed until there is adequate software titles available on the marker to utilize it, according to Sony.

While its projected release sometime in Autumn is less specific than would be desired, Sony did not set a date or timeframe for the release of Grand Turismo 5, which was due to be released in March.

Previous Next  

12 user comments

120.1.2010 19:31

Thats stupid. If I'd wanted motion control, I would have bought a Wii. I have a PS3 so that I can sit like a douche and play some games under a blanket.

220.1.2010 22:54

Actually the release date for Japan was only pushed back a month from the info I have read, but even I think it will be a bit longer than that because of speculation based off of 2 reasons/explanations ~

Quote:
A) Gran Turismo 5’s Influence on Sony’s Financial Reports

Here’s an interesting theory put forth by the Times Online newspaper, whose “analysts” cite Sony’s corporate fiscal calendar to support their reasoning. Personally, I believe this theory has the most credibility – never underestimate the importance of financial statements to large corporations and their shareholders. If it is so important, though, why was this not taken into consideration before the March date was originally settled upon?

Analysts suspect that there may be a strategy behind the delay and that Sony is working to spread the effect of a strong games pipeline over a longer period. The recent Japanese launch of Final Fantasy XIII shifted many more PS3 consoles than expected and performed beyond expectations outside Japan.

If Sony felt that it had already met its console sales targets for its 2009 financial year, analysts said, it might want to push the GT5 launch back a little so that the frenzy surrounding its eventual launch would boost sales in the 2010 financial year. The company may be confident that titles such as God of War 3, Dark Rain and Bayonetta will keep console sales relatively buoyant through the spring period.

B) Worldwide Release and Marketing Decisions

While the misleading Google translation suggesting a worldwide release was discredited, this is still a viable theory. In statements to VG247 and Eurogamer, Sony Europe confirmed that “This information on the GT release is only applicable for the Japanese market,” implying that the North American and European release dates will not be affected. It is also important to note the several different sources who provided GTPlanet with information of a planned worldwide release long before the announcement of the March date established a sequential release schedule. With this in mind, the thought of Sony going back to their original plans looks a little more plausible. Regardless, Sony’s waffling on such a high-profile title is inappropriate.
As far as Sony's "Arc" goes, it is by far more accurate than any other competitors offering on the market, and has actually been worked on since the PS2. So if anything, it has a hell of a lot of development time behind it and looks to be pretty engrossing/solid...just not for all ~ including myself. But we'll see.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 20 Jan 2010 @ 10:57

321.1.2010 00:43

"Delays???"

When were either the controller or GT5 given official release dates? Even when the controller was first shown publicly, they said mid-late 2010 before it would be available. And like Oner mentioned, only Japan was given a still somewhat vague "March 2010" date for GT5, but hardly anyone at Sony would PROMISE it, so it always seemed like more of an earliest estimate date than anything concrete.

421.1.2010 04:38

Originally posted by xnonsuchx:
"Delays???"

When were either the controller or GT5 given official release dates? Even when the controller was first shown publicly, they said mid-late 2010 before it would be available. And like Oner mentioned, only Japan was given a still somewhat vague "March 2010" date for GT5, but hardly anyone at Sony would PROMISE it, so it always seemed like more of an earliest estimate date than anything concrete.
Sony announced it as a delay, the media is only reporting what Sony tells them about their own products and we're only relaying it here.

521.1.2010 05:21

I don't think they are pushing of GT5 to make more sales...if they were going to do this with a title, GT5 would be the last title they would do it to...and here is why:

Dedicated GT fans with racing wheels will buy the game whenever it comes out.

However, many decicated GT fans as well as casual gamers only use the gamepad. GT5 lacks gamepad support (it can be used, but you can't drive more than 30MPH without spinning out on every turn). As knowledge of this gets out, more and more people from this group will avoid the title. I know I fall into this category...as I pre-ordered it on the first day I could, and then canceled my pre-order after trying out the time trial demo. GT5 will probably still be a big seller, but it will not be the blockbuster that it would have been if it worked with the DS3.

...so, if they were going to delay a title intentionaly, then GT5 would be the last title they would delay, simply because it is a race to release it before people find out about it's problems.

As for the PS3-compatable wii-mote, I am not too excited about it. If I wanted a crummy control system that works too slowly, then I would just buy a wii.

621.1.2010 10:04

So, what of that Six-Axis controller that launched with the PS3?

721.1.2010 10:55

Originally posted by Dela:
"Delays???"

Sony announced it as a delay, the media is only reporting what Sony tells them about their own products and we're only relaying it here.
I agree Dela it is an actual delay and it is properly reported as such but I think the specific issue that xnonsuchx is pointing out is that it's always plural in the media's description ~ "delays"...when actualy there has only been 1 for each of the "Arc" and GT5 (for Japan). Well so far that is.

Originally posted by SProdigy:
It's still there and even in the Dual Shock 3 as well and does gets used/implemented (Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, Uncharted's etc.) and can be used with the "Arc" as it is just another peripheral available to devs who may use it creatively...or to just shovel stuff out even. I hope not, but that seems to be an inevitability no matter the platform nowadays.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Jan 2010 @ 10:55

821.1.2010 20:54

Originally posted by Oner:
Originally posted by SProdigy:
It's still there and even in the Dual Shock 3 as well and does gets used/implemented (Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, Uncharted's etc.) and can be used with the "Arc" as it is just another peripheral available to devs who may use it creatively...or to just shovel stuff out even. I hope not, but that seems to be an inevitability no matter the platform nowadays.
Don't forget FLOWER! ;-) As well as a number of other PSN titles.

921.1.2010 21:41

Don't forget FLOWER! ;-) As well as a number of other PSN titles.
How could I forget such a highly acclaimed title! Probably because I haven't played it yet :(

1022.1.2010 01:49

I wouldn't mind this I have a Wii and i would like to see what Sony comes up with this but does this mean do we loose the analog stick or anything else...

1122.1.2010 01:57
chris4160
Inactive

Wasn't the ps3 console release delayed aswell? Seems like a marketing tactic to me.

1228.1.2010 13:29

Originally posted by chris4160:
Wasn't the ps3 console release delayed aswell? Seems like a marketing tactic to me.
Or sloppy Research and Development teams. It took them how long to get the PS3 "correct"? That thing shipped with so many problems, the media called them out on releasing it as a "trojan horse" to beat HD-DVD.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive