AfterDawn: Tech news

Steam data shows quick shift to Windows 7 for Steam gamers

Written by James Delahunty @ 23 Jan 2010 7:37 User comments (5)

Steam data shows quick shift to Windows 7 for Steam gamers Data acquired by Valve's Steam gaming delivery service shows that a large portion of its users have already decided to switch to Microsoft's latest operating system, Windows 7. Although it can be installed on Windows Vista, Microsoft has essentially tied DirectX 11 to the new operating system by working with Nvidia Corp. and Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) to maximize its potential for more realistic graphics, improved multimedia performance and other features in Windows 7.
Microsoft sees the potential in Windows 7 offloading tasks to graphics hardware to take the load off of the CPU; certainly not a new concept at all, but one that the Redmond-giant wants to give a bigger role to for even common tasks. Valve data gotten directly from users' computers show that around 23 percent of its users have moved to Windows 7.

Combined with Vista users, about half of all Valve users are capable of installing DirectX 11 on the software side, although Steam is not keeping track of users with DirectX 11 hardware installed yet.

The data also shows that users are installing the 64-bit versions of Windows 7 as opposed to the 32-bit versions. Over 80 percent of Steam users are using multi-core system, with 24 percent running quad-core chips. This data guides Steam in making programming decisions, and is useful for game developers to have in hand. DirectX 11-capable cards haven't been on the market for too long, but ATI claims to have sold over 2 million already.

Previous Next  

5 user comments

124.1.2010 01:06
fgamer
Inactive

Hmm, I could imagine it's only natural sine Windows 7 is actually good. And most digital downloaders tend to keep moving forward with technology.

224.1.2010 01:15

Windows 7 isnt anything special (not to say it's bad), it was just marketed well. Going from XP to Vista was a bigger jump, I found very few new features going from Vista to 7. I think most people just weren't ready to move from XP when Vista came out, but by now most people figure it's about time.

324.1.2010 05:25
manrod
Inactive

Had the RC of Win7 and while it was good, it didn't pull me away from my XP x64 bit Pro. The best operating system i've ever used, never crashes and works fast as hell.

424.1.2010 06:31

My experience with Windows 7 has so far been very positive. I did tweak the hell out of it at first (you know, killing the nagging messages etc.) but what I've found with it on a laptop is it is far more stable, and much faster than Vista was, and it seems to have given my battery life a nice boost too :-)

51.2.2010 12:00

I'm curious how much other personal data STEAM is transmitting and whether users agreed to share it...

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive