AfterDawn: Tech news

Update: Microsoft knew about i4i's XML patent

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 13 Aug 2009 4:51 User comments (11)

Update: Microsoft knew about i4i's XML patent

According to newly leaked emails, it appears that Microsoft knew about i4i's XML patent but decided to go ahead with Word anyways.
"We saw [i4i's products] some time ago and met its creators. Word 11 will make it obsolete," said one email from Martin Sawicki, a member of Microsoft's XML for Word development team. "It looks great for XP though."

The email was written before the release of Office 2003, when Word was in its 11th edition.

Microsoft lost the case yesterday to i4i, and a judge ruled that the software giant must cease selling Word 2003 and 2007 in the United States in 60 days, cutting into a $3 billion revenue business.

Microsoft has a plethora of options, but a few seem most likely if an appeal fails. The company can update Word to circumvent the infringing aspects, which IW explains is the "program's ability to open and read documents that contain custom XML—a form of the Extensible Markup Language format." The company could also settle with i4i for royalties. If anything, Microsoft can buy the patent or the company. Regardless, Word will still be on retail shelves in 60 days.

Previous Next  

11 user comments

113.8.2009 17:35

The last sentence of the last paragraph totally cracks me up,specially the bit about buy'n the company
Quote:
"If anything, Microsoft can buy the patent or the company"

214.8.2009 00:17

Hmmm...do I see Office 14 coming out in 60 days?

314.8.2009 12:06
emugamer
Inactive

Hmmm...willful copywrite infringement with intent to crush the copywrite holder. It's too bad MS has the money to probably circumvent this and make it go away. I would be nice to see them burn for this.

414.8.2009 12:19

kinda wished they muscled through with the xbox hardware emulation on the 360 instead....

514.8.2009 21:13

Originally posted by scorpNZ:
The last sentence of the last paragraph totally cracks me up,specially the bit about buy'n the company
Quote:
"If anything, Microsoft can buy the patent or the company"
LikeWise buddy xD

If you cant beat 'em... Buy 'em !

615.8.2009 22:05

This again is really pathetic. Microsoft will just buy up the company and or just pay them off and MS Office will not be removed from the shelves.

716.8.2009 14:47

If you have money, you can do almost anything you want. Pretty sad.

820.8.2009 12:44
fluffwitt
Inactive

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
kinda wished they muscled through with the xbox hardware emulation on the 360 instead....
What's that got to do with the price of fish?

920.8.2009 12:49

Whether MS buy the company or the patent it matters not.. i4i and/or it's people are set to make a small fortune for this.. I'm sure they won't be complaining then.

1020.8.2009 12:50
varnull
Inactive

Looking good for a judge to not only uphold the original penalties but increase them substantially due to the deliberate nature of the infringement.

1124.8.2009 03:38

If I was the judge and had the authority I would award total revenue earned by M$ from the products which included the infringing software + "Cease and Desist" in 6 days, not 60 with no recourse to appeal.

In my view if any judgment is reversed under appeal (on non technical grounds) the judge passing the original award should be dis-banned for INCOMPETENCY. Technically both courts are supposedly reading the same law books!!!!!

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive