AfterDawn Forums
These messages are comments to this news item:

uTorrent 2.1 adds video streaming support

news article released on:

The latest beta build of the popular torrent client uTorrent has added video streaming support, giving users the chance to preview and play their video files while they are downloading. “Our hope is to transform getting media using uTorrent from a ‘load-wait-watch-tomorrow’ to more of a ‘point-click-watch’ experience,” says Simon Morris, BitTorrent VP of Product Management. uTorrent ...

Read full article

This discussion thread has 5 messages.

While this is an excellent feature, wouldn't this force the client to have to set a priority of downloading the parts of the file from the beginning, instead of whatever parts of the file are currently available in order for the streaming feature to work? (assuming the video file isn't rar'ed into multiple parts.) I'm assuming this might cause some problems, especially if the file being shared is kind of old and doesn't have a sufficient amount of seeder/leechers.
▼▼ This topic has 4 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
Originally posted by slickwill:
I'm assuming this might cause some problems, especially if the file being shared is kind of old and doesn't have a sufficient amount of seeder/leechers.
True, but not a new problem. (Any service that doesn't have adequate bandwidth to service all its users will have issues with real-time streaming.) Heck, this happens on YouTube too. This will be nice for fast torrents though.
Interesting feature, not something I can see myself using often though, since I very rarely find myself downloading single video files, most of the files I download are compressed into multiple RAR archives, and I don't think it will support that.
Originally posted by slickwill:
While this is an excellent feature, wouldn't this force the client to have to set a priority of downloading the parts of the file from the beginning, instead of whatever parts of the file are currently available in order for the streaming feature to work? (assuming the video file isn't rar'ed into multiple parts.) I'm assuming this might cause some problems, especially if the file being shared is kind of old and doesn't have a sufficient amount of seeder/leechers.
uTorrent already has this feature and one only need activate it. I for one will most certainly appreciate this feature. If I get the first couple of pieces - usually 4 mb on large torrents - I can immediately decide whether I should abandon or continue with the download. Reason may either be - a fraudulent torrent or a poor quality one.

Would save me on energy as well as band width used.
Most video related torrents these days are packed as 3 files.. inf, sample, full video.. So on those occassions where im waiting for a new episode and am sitting at 50% with maybe 30 or so minutes to go till complete, i can sit back with a beer and start watching it early.. Granted its going to be great for me as im in Australia and basicaly watch every show from torrents, but if i was in US then i would just watch regular TV and my torrents would be consumed by other items which are predominately packed in rars.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.