AfterDawn: Tech news

Wii to smash sales records in December

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 05 Jan 2010 5:34 User comments (6)

Wii to smash sales records in December Nintendo has said today that it expects to smash previous sales records, selling over 3 million Wiis in the US for the month of December.
The official numbers will hit on January 14th and the Wii sold 2.15 million consoles last December.

Additionally, the DS/DSi is expected to set another sales record as well, although the company did not give a figure.

"The millions of people who bought Nintendo hardware during the holidays can look forward to enjoying great games on those systems now and in the future," added Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive VP of Sales & Marketing."The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks for Nintendo DS, and Wii Fit Plus and New Super Mario Bros Wii are all currently providing Nintendo fans with amazing experiences and fun adventures for the whole family."

Previous Next  

6 user comments

16.1.2010 01:05
fgamer
Inactive

Who's buying these Wii's?! Maybe Nintendo's buying their own Wii's..

26.1.2010 01:36

a lot of people i know bought a wii or wii games this christmas, in fact!

i wouldn't be so surprised if the wii does not break sale records because the ps3 slim did get a price cut and such, so i think that will take some sales from the wii.

36.1.2010 07:41
emugamer
Inactive

I bought a Wii this winter for the kids. I bought an extra controller and nunchuck, Mario Kart with an extra steering wheel, Mario Tennis and Mario Sluggers. My wife also wanted Wii fit plus, which she's been using every day.

I gave it a second chance. I returned it 2 years ago because it didn't offer anything I wanted. I'll now admit (after all my hating on it) that it's fun, but on a different level. I have an appreciation for it, but not a love for the system. My kids are older now, and the kid in me enjoys playing Mario Kart with them. But I don't run to fire it up once the kids are in bed. The techie in me enjoys the higher end systems and the games they can churn out (even if just a handful of high quality games). And although the Wii is fun, the SD signal gets under my skin and annoys me to the point of a headache. Maybe because over the past 2-3 years, I've fully transitioned to HD for just about everything. I'd rather play Modern Warfare on a PS3 or 360 than a Wii. If I didn't have any of the systems and walked into a store with a Wii display playing Mario and a PS3 display playing Uncharted 2, I'd walk over to the PS3 display. Only because the Wii is a "been there done that" system to me.

Anyway, after seeing how much my kids enjoy it, I give props to Nintendo. I just hope they can make something for me next time around. I'll let the kids pick out their games on Amazon, and I'll stick to my PS3.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 Jan 2010 @ 7:43

46.1.2010 07:54

I can believe the hardware is selling well, but getting off saying there are many new titles to come is a load of crock. Wii Fit is how old now? New Super Mario Bros, is a *bleep*joke. Fun yes, but you can tell they rushed it for the $. What happen to more quality games like Metroid and Zelda Twilight Princess? I want those. There's still a shitty line up of 3rd party software with maybe 1-20 chance of finding a great 3rd party title for the Wii, and yes even for kids; even less chance in fact; and out of those, what are the odds that the 360/PS3 ports are not better?

I have a Wii, its busted and even for my kids, I don't care to fix it or replace it. Nintendo disappointed me with this console; using bluetooth for the power button only but not the motion sensor was stupid.

The DS on the other hand, no matter which one you own, flawless system, both for kids and adults alike. Why can't Big N take their handhelds to the console level? Why does this history of shitty line up with console must occur? Is it cause they only know how to develop simple games, with only a handful of their dev team able to make masterpieces like Zelda TP? Sad sad sad..

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Feb 2010 @ 1:50

56.1.2010 14:44

oh i simply cant wait till they announce Wii2 in a year or 2..then everyone would realize as always that nintendi sold them the prototype and not the real deal..i agree with the guy above. perhaps nintendouche has started buying their own consoles

66.1.2010 15:59

I initially regretted buying one, but 2009 made it a little better with the excellent Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, RE: Darkside and Dead Space: Extraction. Real games, as opposed to soccer mom crap, how amazing!

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive