AfterDawn: Tech news

Zune HD sales seemingly high

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 20 Sep 2009 9:51 User comments (20)

Zune HD sales seemingly high According to Electronista, the Microsoft Zune HD is seeing extremely high sales so far since its launch on Tuesday, with many big retailers already seeing backorders or complete sell outs.
Dell customers have to wait until November for their pre-order Zunes to ship, and dell has even offered another $20 USD off the purchase price to keep people happy.

The 32GB model at Amazon is backordered for 1-3 weeks, and the 16GB model appears to be headed there soon as well.

Best Buy is backordered in both models and Fry's is completely sold out of the 16GB unit.

However, the official Microsoft store is selling both models with no supply constraints.

You can read our review on the player here: Unboxing the Zune HD and Zune software 4

Previous Next  

20 user comments

120.9.2009 22:32

I have to say Microsoft, I am impressed. I think they did this one right. This device has potential, and I can't wait to get my hands on one.

220.9.2009 23:38

I'm lovin' mine. It's a very sweet and responsive piece of kit. It maintains the audio quality of the earlier Zunes, so that's a plus as well.

321.9.2009 02:14

the target, best buy, and wal-mart in my area were all sold out.

421.9.2009 06:09

Originally posted by elfman12:
I'm lovin' mine. It's a very sweet and responsive piece of kit. It maintains the audio quality of the earlier Zunes, so that's a plus as well.
That's what I was afraid of...I might have bought one if they had fixed the audio quality, but if it is the same as before, then they can keep it.

It is nice to see that apple isn't the only company doing well selling crummy high-end MP3 players with low-end audio.

521.9.2009 06:14

Not all Dell pre-orders are held up. I got my order (2 Zune HDs) on Friday!

621.9.2009 07:12

Notice no numbers were mentioned??? Supposedly, there was a fairly limited rollout on release day, so of course there's gonna be supply issues. Maybe they're even following the Wii and artificially keeping supply low to increase demand and get more media coverage???

721.9.2009 07:44

Yeah I think they may be pulling what the Wii did to get the demand up. Either that or I think people are getting tired of the iPod (like me)

821.9.2009 08:06

Quote:
That's what I was afraid of...I might have bought one if they had fixed the audio quality, but if it is the same as before, then they can keep it.

It is nice to see that apple isn't the only company doing well selling crummy high-end MP3 players with low-end audio.

Not sure what your experience has been, but I rank Zune's AQ up there with the best of these players. Creative has some great sounding units as well, but there are in no way "low-end audio" players, IMO.

921.9.2009 13:43

I have defended Zune to the death ever since I got mine in 2007 when the 2nd gens came out and I will continue and I am very aware of it's popularity, it's not that high and I think it's obvious that the sell outs are due to low initial orders by retailers. There wasn't a certainty that a lot would sell after the preorders. I'm sure if MS starts marketing more the popularity will rise without a doubt for it's an awesome device.

1021.9.2009 23:19

I'm mainly going with my experience with the first release zune, it had a very high pitch, low volume wine that never went away, even when music was playing you could still hear it in the background durring slow parts.. It was only slightly noticable, but appauling for such an expensive unit. Tried to RMA it, but microsoft went through it and sent it back saying that was how it was supposed to work...so I sold the POS on ebay. Is this what you meant by "It maintains the audio quality of the earlier Zunes", or should I give it another chance?

1122.9.2009 10:49

Quote:
Is this what you meant by "It maintains the audio quality of the earlier Zunes", or should I give it another chance?

Quote:

I've had all of the Zunes so far. I have to say the audio quality on the HD model is fantastic. EQ and all. I used the same pair of ScullCandy earbuds on my 80 then on my HD and the difference is clear.

It deserves another shot :)
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 22 Sep 2009 @ 11:16

1222.9.2009 11:19
atomicxl
Inactive

Good stuff. I loved my old Zune before it broke. I probably won't be buying the HD (I can't ever see myself paying over $200 for a mp3 player) but I hope the release of this drives down the price of the Flash based old school Zunes.

1322.9.2009 11:48

Quote:
hope the release of this drives down the price of the Flash based old school Zunes.
Technically, yes. All previous models are discontinued.

1425.9.2009 15:29

"Oh my god"! so that't the reason why i can't find one here in Puerto Rico! yesterday was my birthday and we try to find one., all what we receive is the backorder word.

1525.9.2009 17:15

I didn't know people from Puerto Rico visited this site...

1625.9.2009 17:38

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Originally posted by elfman12:

Yeah, don't see how that can be a good thing if they retained the same audio seeing how the audio isn't that well anyways.

1726.9.2009 14:06

Originally posted by hermes_vb:
I didn't know people from Puerto Rico visited this site...

I think i'm the first and the only one. ..???

1827.9.2009 16:26

Wrong. I'm originally from Puerto Rico...

1927.9.2009 16:58

Originally posted by hermes_vb:
Wrong. I'm originally from Puerto Rico...

De verdad? ya votastes por el Yunque?

2018.9.2010 17:20

One year old and can't find one .And you know why ?is bcuz they are not shipping to Puerto Rico yet my birthday is coming again Zune originals carry the one i like.Black 32gibytes with Halo War encryption.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive