1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best free audio converter?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by PhilJW, Jan 24, 2013.

1. PhilJW

PhilJW Member

Hi all

I've had to replace my PC and am trying to find all the free software I used on my (very) old one!

However most software now seems to be no longer free!

I do a lot of audio converting and transcoding and was wondering if anyone could recommend the best FREE audio converter software.

I was a big fan of Total Audio Converter but now you have to pay for it I'm looking for something else - unless anyone can point me in the direction of an older free version?

Many thanks

2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

3. Mez

Mez Active member

Without a doubt dbpoweramp is the king. What you can do is get the trial. Load all the codex(s) you might use. In the past, the option that allows you to transcode from windows explorer still works after the expiration. The main module shuts down when it is expired. From that you can do advanced jobs and add or remove codex(s). Since it is a paid for app, all the codex(s) are the best on the market. Lame, wave and CDA come with the package. I suggest AAC, APE, FLAC, DNA/Helix are must haves. I also have shn and a bunch of rare codex. It is also one of the best 2 rippers. I would rip something in the trial period. That also used to work after the expiration as an autorun option.

4. carina.s

carina.s Member

There are other free audio converters out there as well, now I'm using Mp3 Grabber, a free online service for converting common audio formats, including mp3, wma, ogg, aac, wav and even more.

5. berrymartin

berrymartin Member

Top 5 Best Free Audio Converter For Windows:

1. MediaHuman Audio Converter:
    MediaHuman Audio Converter is a freeware utility which is designed to convert your music to different formats. This application supports and converts between various formats like MP3, AAC, WMA, AIFF, WAV, OGG, FLAC etc.

2. Helium Audio Converter:
    Helium Audio Converter is one the best freeware audio converter available as it makes audio conversion a cakewalk for user. It supports multiple formats like AAC, FLAC, MP3, MP4, M4A, M4B, MPC, Wave, Ogg Vorbis, WAVPack and WMA.

3. Fre:AC:
    Fre:AC is a light-weight and flexible audio converter and CD ripper software which also open source and free. It is fully featured program with a simple to use and intuitive user interface. It supports multiple formats like MP3, MP4, WMA, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, WAV and Bonk.

4. Free Audio Converter:
    Free Audio Converter is an easy to use and simple freeware application for audio conversion which works in both single and batch mode support. It is a great piece of software for beginners as it is quick and easy to understand with a friendly user interface. It converts between multiple audio file formats including AIFF, AC3, AAc, FLAC, M4A, M4B, APE, MP3, MKA, OGG, TTA, RA, WAV and WMA.

5. Freemake Audio Converter:
    Freemake Audio Converter is freeware audio conversion utility which convert audio between different formats, extract audio from videos and join audio files. It is embedded with features like convert audio between all the key formats like MP3, WMA, WAV, FLAC, AAC, M4A, OGG; convert WMA to MP3, WAV to MP3, MP3 to WAV, FLAC to MP3, AAC to MP3, etc.

Regards,
    Berry Martin

6. Mez

Mez Active member

Berry what makes a converter the best is it uses the best codex. What makes one codex better than another? The lack of artifacts. The older codexs are free from artifacts. That happened because the world audio community had thousands of audiophiles testing them for years getting the bugs out of them probably spending a combined millions of hrs. The effort was likely greater than the building of the pyramids. No one really cares to do that anymore because we have already have error free codex.

7. Nick Arthur

Nick Arthur Newbie

Are there some converters good to use but not go with malware or advertisement. Sometimes, it can be a troublesome issue!

8. Mez

Mez Active member

What may be common is hackers infect your router. This is pretty much effortless since most routers have no protection others have a patch made a few years back. By now I am sure it is near worthless by now. Once your router is infected they can man-in-the-middle your web access. If you down load any application or update the middle man can add a back door to your application or upgrade. At that point they have full access to your computer. I can assure you that was happening on my computer for years. I have given up. I will never use my home system to download anything or buy anything. Now hackers can infect hardware so it is too expensive to get a new computer every week.

9. Mez

Mez Active member

I forgot about this one. I prefer dbPowerAmp because it is easy to use and believe you can use it for free, well enough to get the job done. Not everything works but transcoding does from Windows Explorer after the expiration date or used to. Foobar is another good choice and I believe it is still free. It is a player used mostly by audiophiles. It has many add ons including trans-coding modules. Those users are more likely to catch small problems and complain where it counts. In 15 yrs I bet it is also bug free.

Transcoding isn't nearly as safe as everyone thinks. That is probably the main reason why many serious listeners prefer to listen to lossless. If you can hear a difference between lossless and a high-end lossy file look to the transcoder or the person that did the transcoding. Some one screwed up either by doing something wrong or using a junk transcoder. Both are common.

http://www.foobar2000.org/download