1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bitrate Software Tools

Discussion in 'Audio' started by sandeep14, Dec 31, 2009.

1. sandeep14

sandeep14 Member

I know coachop posted a thread about bitrate tools but if anyone can find or reccomend me any tools for these reasons:

I've tried dAudioK and BeLight but neither of those seem to work on Windows Vista.

2. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

3. sandeep14

sandeep14 Member

hi thank for reccomending LameXP - it works great.

the only problem is that it doesnt overwrite and keep identical ID3 tags on the new files like musicmatch did. that was ery convenient and saved a lot of time.

this new method saves time in that it can process files in batch, but not trasferring the ID3 tags means that i then have to copy ID3 tags from the original mp3s to the new converted output mp3s that i want to keep (for the new bitrate and size).

thanks.

4. sandeep14

sandeep14 Member

okay, ive found a way to solve this problem. it just requires an extra step in copying the meta-data across and enabling it. the only problem that could arise out of this is forgetting to check the box. but ive found a solution in the end, so that is what matters.

then i need to delete the duplicates and edit the file nammes of the new ones to remove the "(2)" (suggesting that they are the second files with the same name in the same folder) from the suffix of the file names.

thank you very much k00ka. very much appreciated!! :)

5. Mez

Mez Active member

I hope you are down grading the bit rates. The reason it does not overwrite is it assumes you want to keep the higher bit rate files for an archive.

If you are going from lossless to lossy, I know you are not, I suggest dbPowerAmp and the DNA Helix encoder. You can set that up in your free 30 day trial. I use that to down grade my lossless to VBRs. It very clean and very fast. It is about 30x faster than Lame and almost as perfect. It runs a very close second to LAME as the cleanest encoder. I never use Lame in a conversion. You can run the converter by highlighting the files you want to convert in file explorer and right click. It will do a CD in less than a minute.

6. sandeep14

sandeep14 Member

thank you, yes. i am lowering the bit rate for songs i dont listen to much or arent that good but i like to listen to occassionally or rare mp3s or for collection purposes.

if only we could magically download smaller files and magically enhance them - that would be ideal... if only...

the dbPowerAmp may be something i might want to check out.

im not looking to purchase anything to do this kind of operation for me, which i why i was happy using musicmatch jukebox 10 and now lame.

i had imToo 3GP Video Converter which was an excellent file converter but its encoding of MP3s wasnt so good. it could process batch files but it was slow, drained out CPU usage and formed new conversions in target directories without cloning the mp3 ID3 tags (to the new files) which was a big let down for me.

7. Mez

Mez Active member

You can't rip, batch convert or add encoders after the 30 days but the utility that converts from file explorer does. The batch converter was too slow unless you were going to do a few hundred gigs over night.