1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting AAC ( MP4, MKV) to MP3

Discussion in 'Audio' started by jay-jay, Jan 4, 2013.

1. jay-jay

jay-jay Member

I've been trying to convert AAC audio (from MKV and MP4-files) to WAV to MP3 (using a avisynth script to feed it into VirtualDub, saving it as uncompressed wav, and then using winLAME to convert it to VBR or ABR LAME mp3), like I've been doing for a while, but suddenly my PC won't cooperate anymore. First the resulting MP3's sounded all distorted, as if it played in slow-motion (but it was still the same length as the crisp sounding uncompressed WAV). Tried everything I could think of: I removed all my codecs and filters and conversion software and re-installed all of it, but to no avail.
    Then I decided to do a clean install. That didn't turn out quite right either (apparently HP gave me defective re-installation software), but after some help from a professional at least it was up and running again.
    Now I've re-installed most of the necessary codecs, filters and conversion software, but I just can't seem to install a recent version of LAME.
    Tried re-installing an old version of LAMEACM (3.98.2), but that gave me the same problem when I tried to convert the previously made uncompressed wav using WinLAME (distorted audio on the resulting mp3), so I removed that one again. Newer versions of LAME do not want to install on my Windows Vista x64 system (I use 32-bit VirtualDub and codecs). Tried dropping the DLL in the windows/SysWOW64 folder, and registering them using regsvr32 in command-prompt, but then I get an error (don't know what it would be in English, my system is Dutch, but something like this: "Module 'lame_enc.dll' was loaded, but the entry point dllregistryserver was not found. Make sure that 'lame_enc.dll' is a valid dll- or ocx- file and try again.").
    And I have no idea how to use the LAME.exe provided in the pack. The only scripts I have ever worked with are those from AviSynth, and even then only scripts I downloaded from the web in which I just have to change the filename and path to make it work. So if I could try using that LAME.exe with scripts, you would have to explain every step to me because I wouldn't even know where to start.
    Also, since the clean install I have another problem. Now I can't even save the uncompressed WAVs anymore. If I try, I get a large WAV-file like always, only when I try to play it there are no sounds whatsoever, only pure quiet.

I use Windows Vista x64, with Comodo Internet Security, Spybot S&D and Windows Defender (maybe one of these 3 protective programs blocks the installation of LAME somehow, but I have no idea), Combined Community Codec Pack (with in ffdshow everything unchecked except for H.264, and in Haali Media Splitter only the default options, like it says in this guide I found: http://kaizoku-fansubs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=29 ), AACACM (tried it both with and without this installed), avisynth, VirtualDub 1.10.3.0, WinLAME and Foobar2000 (this one won't even try converting the uncompressed WAVs).

What I really want to do in the end is convert the MP4/MKV files (with x264 and AAC) to AVI (with XviD and MP3) and hardsub them (that's why I use VDub, it's the only program I know which does this, and I've been using it for nearly a decade now), so they can play on stand-alone players. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  2. attar

attar Senior member

3. jay-jay

jay-jay Member

Thanks for your reply, but I already had the archive from the first link. Like I explained, I've been trying to install it in Vista x64, but it doesn't work. Installed LameACM from that package again, got the same distorted audio in WinLAME again, and tried converting AAC straight to LAME MP3 in VDub, but then once again there's no sound in the resulting MP3. Still can't install the lame_enc.dll from the other directory in that zip.

I can already open MP4 and MKV in VDub using AVS-scripts. Nevertheless I downloaded the archive from that second link as well, but I have no idea what to do with the files it contains.

4. attar

attar Senior member

The second link, when unzipped, has a folder named Plugins32.
    It goes in the VirtualDub folder.

5. jay-jay

jay-jay Member

Thanks, I'll do that.

However, this still fixes none of my problems.
    Anybody have any idea what's wrong with my system, why I cannot install LAME properly, or convert AAC into anything but a soundless audio-file?

6. attar

attar Senior member

7. jay-jay

jay-jay Member

Thanks, I guess I'll try my luck there.