1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to separate/extract songs that are uploaded in APE/FLAC format as one single file?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by drn1, Sep 22, 2012.

1. drn1

drn1 Member

Greetings, All.

I've downloaded several CD audio files in APE and FLAC formats. I want to convert these files to MP3 files, but they are uploaded as one single-playing audio file vs. being uploaded as separate/individual songs. I.E. the files plays as one long audio file and doesn't show all the individual songs and their titles in the music folder. The file comes withe something called a .cue card and a .log file and those files will list all of the names of the songs, but there seems to be no way to separate/extract these individual songs from this one long playing audio file.

How do I go about separating/extracting the songs so that they are individual songs with individual titles again vs. all being rolled into one continuous APE/FLAC file?

I tried converting the APE/FLAC files into MP3s using a free audio converter but all that did was convert the APE/FLAC file into one MP3 file, it did not extract/separate the songs out of that one APE/FLAC file. Please help!

Do I need to open that APE/FLAC file using WinZip or something?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

drn1

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Sounds like they were encoded to play continuously which means they need cutting into their separate titles which requires being done manually,you've already converted to mp3 so use all free mp3 cutter or some other such tool,you can use a media player to pick where cut point/s should be

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

It sounds like you're talking about CD Images ripped with EAC, dbPowerAmp, or a similar program. As it happens we have a guide for splitting them.

4. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

except that I would use Audacity (why convert nice lossless to mp3? just to split?) that's a good plan.. When we do vinyl to cd we always capture first as the highest quality single huge file (wav), then process to take out crackles and surface noises.. finally splitting into individual tracks trying to keep the correct gapping between tracks as intended on the original vinyl..

Where you been Rich?.. swamp getting crowded??

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  5. drn1

drn1 Member

Thanks so much, ScorpNZ. I'll look for a free mp3 cutter and try to figure out how to use it. I'm new to this so hopefully I can figure it out. Thx!

6. drn1

drn1 Member

@Vurbal: Thank you so much for this! Man, am I glad I happened upon this site. I just read your link about CD Images and EAC and this is exactly what Im talking about. At least now I know the appropriate "jargon" to be using. I dont like these long, continuous play files, and Im not sure why somebody would want to upload a file like this if you cant view the names of the songs and the songs then have to be cut up manually, but there must be some advantage to it.

I appreciate you providing the link to the Media software to cut up the songs again. I dont want to lose the APE quality of the files so I"m hoping that cutting them using the guide you provided wont destroy the quality. Im hoping I can convert them from APE to WAV after Ive cut the songs up.

And thank you for providing screen shots for what to do when downloading the software you mentioned. Thats exactly what newbie like me needs, and its an enormous help.

Kudos to you!

DRN1
    Thanks for this info! Much appreciated.

7. vurbal

You're welcome! Let me know if you have any questions about the process.

Another option I didn't mention (because we don't have a guide for it) is a program called CueTools. I've actually switched to it for my own personal use. I have several hundred CDs archived as FLAC images and I'm currently in the process of rebuilding the music drive on my file server since the old one crashed - right when I was finally getting around to backing it up of course. While I've found CueTools a little trickier to learn, I prefer it overall. For just a couple images I don't know if I'd bother with the steeper learning curve though.

8. vurbal

I've mostly been hiding in my cave for the last couple years but since it's being renovated I thought it was a good time to make a comeback here.

9. DavidWatts

DavidWatts Member

Is there any reason I shouldn't use foobar's converter feature instead of Medieval Cue Splitter or CueTools to split one large flac into multiple flacs?

10. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

11. vurbal

The only good reasons would be that you either want a new Cue sheet for the split image or you prefer the options in one of the other tools for tagging. In my case both apply but that's just personal preference.