1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ogg codecs won't install properly

Discussion in 'Audio' started by zorantor, Oct 18, 2009.

1. zorantor

zorantor Member

I'm having an awful time trying to get my computer to properly install Ogg codecs, so maybe some of you smart folks can help me.

I've tried a number of times using the installer from xiph.org (download page). Each time, the installer runs without incident and tells me the installation has been completed. When I try to open an audio file that requires the codecs, though, I get this error: "The audio codec identified by the format tag 674F is required to play this file".

Looking through the audio settings in the Control Panel, I see no evidence that the codecs have actually been installed. Looking under Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Hardware/Audio Codecs, there is nothing related to Ogg or Vorbis.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the codec pack, and I even went so far as to uninstall CCCP and my sound card driver before running the xiph.org Ogg codec installer, reinstalling the former afterwards. Nothing seems to make Windows see the Ogg codecs I've supposedly installed.

I'm running Windows XP Professional SP2. I have installed it twice before with no problems on this very same computer, using the same OS, but I recently reinstalled Windows and since then it just hasn't worked.

I don't know what else I should try, so I hope someone can give me some suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Mez

Mez Active member

I suggest trying dbPowerAmp. It is a REAL professional converter/ripper. You get 30 days for free. I am sure your problem is missmatched version control. Using Windows XP Professional SP2 is like swimming up river. M$ or other apps will update parts of your system unbeknownst to you. dbPowerAmp is self contained so it always works perfectly. If it does not, there is free technical support.