1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what brand DVD/CD writer? & problem with library...

Discussion in 'Audio' started by wedrowan, Jan 9, 2013.

1. wedrowan

wedrowan Member

I can't find any info about my DVD/CD writer except
    ATAPI iHAS124 B ATA Device
    I want to locate the manufacturer
    Perhaps the pros can advise on the situation.......
    I'm having an argument (not really since they won't respond) with Redondo Beach, CA library over a shattered audiobook cd
    I was ripping an old cd, improperly labeled (label on one side not balanced on the other, disc was very worn, old and scratched, nearly transparent in some spots, several in the set did not play well) when the cd shattered in my reader. The antique library policy (and antique librarian) claim my cd reader broke it (like a tape player eating an old tape) and want me to pay to replace it. It's not a lot of money but some of their audio books are really old and worn, and I hate to be ripped off. Like playing hot potato... they send old materials out until someone has to pay for the new one. I was lucky to salvage the writer, works fine.

I've sent them several letters to different city offices documenting information from the internet on cd shattering, most often> always defective discs, with no response.

I thought of contacting the manufacture of my writer for more back up. I'd bet they have the tech facts on this kind of thing....

I'll probably contact the city attorney next too.
    Most of the comments I've read on the internet result in the library acknowledging technology and not making the patron pay, we are not dealing with tapes anymore, but these people seem particularly thick and not very savvy, several comments she made showed she had little computer experience.
    there is no interest on the fee, so I can try any ideas

2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  3. Mez

Mez Active member

Well different libraries have different policies. I know if you lose a book you have to replace it in every library I have used. I usually do not even try to play a CD with a label that is not full faced with a computer drive due to a bad experiences. I almost broke a disk/ damaged my burner. CD players don't have the RPMs that a DC/DVD burner has. They start at very high RPMs. I bet you heard a loud noise as it starrted up. Had you quickly ejected the CD you would have saved the CD. It is likely you did break it through ignorance. That is neither here nor there. If you borrowed the disk you have to play by their rules.

4. Mez

Mez Active member

Well different libraries have different policies. I know if you lose a book you have to replace it in every library I have used. I usually do not even try to play a CD with a label that is not full faced with a computer drive due to a bad experiences. I almost broke a disk/ damaged my burner. CD players don't have the RPMs that a DC/DVD burner has. They start at very high RPMs. I bet you heard a loud noise as it starrted up. Had you quickly ejected the CD you would have saved the CD. It is likely you did break it through ignorance. That is neither here nor there. If you borrowed the disk you have to play by their rules.

5. wedrowan

wedrowan Member

Thank you
    curious, how did you find that? I was stymied...

6. wedrowan

wedrowan Member

If I had lost a book (never have) I would have expected to pay, different issue.
    No noise as it stated up.
    I wish I had paid more attention to it being worn and mislabeled, I would have returned them (and they would have sent them out to someone else), now I know. My "ignorance" had to do with not understanding the danger of improperly labeled, worn CDs, if all tech info I have found on the internet is correct, I found several pages of quotes of authorities who stated that cracks, heat damage, etc are the most likely cause, that good media crack so rarely at very high speeds it is not considered likely
    if you have info to the contrary I would be interested in seeing it.

I don't agree about playing by their rules if the rules are not right. History is full of conditions we now see as wrong that someone had to argue with to correct.
    This is not a momentous issue, but, based on all the info from tech sites, it is an anachronism on their part and unfair to other patrons also.
    and a policy most libraries have corrected, they also seem to see the difference between losing a book and a shattered cd.

7. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

I just copied the model number and pasted it into the search box and it came up with the information about who made it.

8. wedrowan

wedrowan Member

Thank you, for some reason, it wouldn't do that for me.
    And by the way, thank you, Vet... your efforts on our behalf appreciated.

9. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

No problem your welcome.I was just doing my duty and loved every minute of it.