1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking For .MOV Joiner For Canon SX130IS Video

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by seagrave, Nov 3, 2010.

1. seagrave

seagrave Regular member

I just bought a Canon SX130IS and it uses a different video format to the SX120IS. I used to use the Boilsoft Video Joiner to merge the old AVI files before encoding to XVID, but it can't seem to handle the audio in the .MOV files which according to GSpot is SWOT 16bit @ 48k. Boilsoft provides the info on the codec what is is but doesn't say it can't work with it. I tried using the Canon software but it seems to be reencoding.

So are there any .MOV joiners out there that can handle these videos without recoding?

Thanks!

2. attar

attar Senior member

I think it's SOWT - an Apple? audio codec.

I had two .mov files with this audio and I could only join them properly by using Xvid4PSP to convert them to MVK:
    Video > Copy
    Audio > AC3192k
    Then 'Encode'
    The video doesn't get encoded - just the audio.

Then I used AVIMux_GUI to join the two mkv files.
    Drag both files onto the top pane, highlight both and click 'generate source data from files' then 'Start'.
    No encoding on this step, so it's quite fast.

That was the only time I came across this as I seldom get involved with mov format, so I cant offer much.

3. seagrave

seagrave Regular member

I tried a number of programs.

Quicktime Pro says it can merge at least two files but it was such a pain I didn't even manage that... and anyway I have at times 20 to merge. I can't go through their ridiculous 1 file at a time method...

The included Canon video software recodes.

The AoA Video Joiner recodes and in the end did not produce any audio.

The AONE Ultra Video Joiner did the job. I've have not found any audio synch problems I've had with other software.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  4. seagrave

seagrave Regular member

Thanks for the reply attar. I had a LOT of audio synch problems with XVID4P2P encoding the old AVIs from my old Canon camera to XVID. To fix it I had to break up the files, then recode using a different time delay for each segment. What a pain.

That's why I started using the Boilsoft Joiner to merge first, then encode. I planned to do the same with the .MOV files but they are clearly more problematic. But the new software I found seems to work. I just wish there was some way I could get these files to play on the camera but not even the Canon software does that.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  5. seagrave

seagrave Regular member

Thanks for the reply attar. I had a LOT of audio synch problems with XVID4P2P encoding the old AVIs from my old Canon camera to XVID. To fix it I had to break up the files, then recode using a different time delay for each segment. What a pain.

That's why I started using the Boilsoft Joiner to merge first, then encode. I planned to do the same with the .MOV files but they are clearly more problematic. But the new software I found seems to work. I just wish there was some way I could get these files to play on the camera but not even the Canon software does that.

6. azeniyxl

azeniyxl Member

Why don't you tell boilsoft's support? I think they will help you!

7. cvoichita

cvoichita Member

I have the same camera type and I use MPEG Streamclip. Give it a try, it's free.
    You can merge, edit and convert mov files to some container types and video formats.
    I suggest to export the final result to mp4 container with h.264 codec. The file length will be smaler with no visible loss of quality. If you limit the data rate to, let's say, 2500 kbps, you can play a HD movie on a "not so performant" computer, as I have.
    And of course,as an alternative, you can always use the software that came with the camera.
    Both above mentioned programs are working with reencoding.
    If you want something without reencoding you can try MP4CAM2AVI.
    I have not tested this one enough to create a conclusion. If I am not wrong,
    the AVI container has some compatibility problems with h.264 codec.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010