1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX with subtitles for DVD players (not PCs)

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Oudis, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Oudis

Oudis Member

Hello everybody,

First of all I would like to say hi –I’m new in this forum and this is my first posting.

I have a DivX-compatible DVD player. I needed to know how to burn some videos, so I did some googling and found this forum; somebody had faced a similar problem three years ago. This is the link:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/483572

I read coolguyz’ question and Indochine’s answer, and burnt my first video (a documentary) on a DVD as a data disk with Nero. It worked –but I still have a problem: there were no subtitles (and I had them as .srt files).

You see, I need to include subtitles. I want to make a few DVDs with English subtitles so that my daughter, who is studying English, can listen to the dialogues and read the subtitles at the same time (our native tongue isn’t English). I also want to brush up on my high-school French, so eventually I’ll do the same for me (French movies or documentaries with French subtitles).

Is it possible to include subtitles? Remember we’ll play the videos on a DVD (DivX-compatible) player so that we can see them on the TV screen; not on our computer.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks a lot,

Oudis

2. attar

attar Senior member

If the .srt subtitles have the same name as the video:
    myvideo.avi
    myvideo.srt
    then you should only have to press the subtitle button on the remote.

3. Oudis

Oudis Member

Hello Attar,

And thank you for your answer.

Yes, the .srt & the .avi files have the same name –and I’ve checked, I can see the video on my laptop with subtitles using VLC Media Player; so the subtitles are there –but my DVD player cannot read them. Any suggestions?

Thanks again to you and to anybody else that replies.

Oudis

4. attar

attar Senior member

....and turning on the subtitles with the remote has no effect?

5. Trismegis

Trismegis Member

a lot of dvd players only support subs in vobsub format. you can look up your dvd player and see if it supports text-based subs but most players that play divx/xvid don't support either srt or sub/idx subtitles, and the only way to get them to play is by hard-coding them when you encode the video.

6. Oudis

Oudis Member

Hello again Attar, thanks for your reply –no, using the remote control has no effect whatsoever.

Trismegis: thanks to you too –it seems you’re right. But isn’t there any way to solve the problem? Is there a way to change those .srt subtitles I have into a “vobsub format”? Is there any way that I can change the coding of the DVD player?

I’d appreciate any suggestion…

Oudis

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  7. attar

attar Senior member

I've used AviAddXSubs to add subs to avi for playback on a standalone unit.
    The new file is saved with the .divx extension, but renaming it .avi is simple enough if your player doesn't recognize it.

http://www.calcitapp.com/AVIAddXSubs.php

8. Oudis

Oudis Member

Hello again Attar,

Sorry it took me so long to reply. It did work! –And I cannot thank you enough.

To sum this whole thing up (for those who want to know exactly what I did, these are the steps I took):

1 – Once I had the video I wanted to see (as an .avi file) and I had the subtitles (as .srt) I made sure they were synchronized with VLC media player.

2 – But Trimegis was right (see above): my player is DivX-compatible and it doesn’t support .srt subtitles, so I used AviAddXSubs, a program that combines, in less than ten minutes, the subtitles with the video and make them compatible with DVD players.

3 – Finally I burnt the videos on a DVD using Nero –as a data DVD. Videos burnt this way are .dixv videos and can be seen on any DVD player that supports the DivX format –and you can turn on/off the subtitles using the remote control.

Thanks again to the whole forum (here is where I learnt how to do this, and it’s the first time I burn videos, so…) and especially to you Attar.

Oudis.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011