1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.mkv to .avi uses high CPU

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Gringoyle, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Gringoyle

Gringoyle Member

Hello

I am new to converting and new to this forum as well.

I am ussing AVS Video Converter to convert .mkv to .avi or .wmv with sucsess.
    But when converting to .avi my cpu ussage hits 100% right away, I would rather convert .mkv to .avi cause it converts fatster, and has a smaller file when finished.
    But I cant use my PC while it is converting to .avi and converting to .wmv can take up to 12 hours on some larger HD movies...

whay is the cpu usage so high?

2. attar

attar Senior member

You're sure you don't have any problems with malware - run Malwarebytes free version to be sure.
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Perhaps because video processing is CPU intensive - do you have a multi-core or single core processor.

I think the program you are using may support multi-core usage (but perhaps some of the components it uses doesn't) - also if you paid for this program, you can contact the vendor.

Hopefully you didn't pay for it and you can try a good, free alternative like XVid4Psp.
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/XviD4PSP

Note that it requires .Net framework 3

3. Gringoyle

Gringoyle Member

No malware here...

AMD Phenom II X3 720

It is paid for but I have had no respons from AVS...

I will give it try out...

I did want to ask though how come I only have high CPU on .avi settings but not on .wmv?

-gringoyle

4. attar

attar Senior member

When avi is being processed, does the Task manager show all cores in use?

5. Gringoyle

Gringoyle Member

Yes.

6. Trismegis

Trismegis Member

You can always lower the processing thread priority manually in task manager, but otherwise I would switch to a more versatile encoder. Staxrip is a personal favorite of mine because it will take you through the steps and explain the encoding process the first time you use it, not to mention that it is one of the best quality front ends out there. Once you learn to use it, you will never want to use anything else, IMO. You can do single/double-pass, and plenty of output codecs & containers (ac3, mp3, aac, divx, xvid, x264, avi, mkv, etc.).