1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio Codec mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Betadog, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Betadog

Betadog Member

Hi, I'm hoping someone here can help.
    I'm having problems playing an mp4 file: VLC, KMPlayer, WMP & Nero can't play it.

I've run it through Gspot and it says:
    None of this means much to me, but I'm reading it that the audio codec doesn't work.

I've tried looking about for it but can't find it. I'm not looking to install a huge codec pack, as I've just recovered from codec conflicts messing up my audio/video, so I'm wanting just to install the codec that'll let me play mp4s.

Can anyone help me out with a link to the correct codec or other more specific advice?
    If anyone's got a good userguide for Gspot that'd come in useful too.

Thanks

2. attar

attar Senior member

GSpot is limited as to what it can render with newer formats like aac.
    Is it all files with AAC or just the one?
    VLC and MPC have internal filters that should be able to handle AAC audio.

Here's a very small sample that VLC should play back.
    http://www.filedropper.com/fc2-1

3. Betadog

Betadog Member

I've since found out that its not just this mp4, I've got an issue with playing SOME .avi files too. May've resolved this via gspot though.

VLC & MPC can't play this mp4 file. Not sure the reason.

I tried the sample from filedropper, it started off like the mp4 with a long lag showing only the first screen for about 10 seconds then showed the rest of the clip fine. When I replayed it it started right off - couldn't tell the extent to which audio & video were synced but there once it played there were no other video glitches as there are on my larger mp4 (video glitches & audio running too fast) and some avi's (video glitches). Could it be an issue with the file size?

Just rechecked my other files - mp4 is still glitchy but VLC is now playing an avi that was glitchy last night (green tracers and pixel flickers). I had tried fixing that file on gspot but didn't know how to push the 'proposed solutions & tests' which were working out to my media players - still don't but it seems to play now (& gspot now indicates 'Codec(s) are Installed')- though it didn't last night.

4. Betadog

Betadog Member

scratch that last paragraph, 8.45 into the avi file video froze for a few seconds then pixels all got blocky & jumbled for a few seconds. Also it is a bit blocky in rendering of shades of black, smoke, etc not unbearable but not as smooth as it should be.

5. attar

attar Senior member

I wouldn't rely on GSpot for any help in troubleshooting this problem.
    The problem now includes mp4 and avi - can you play back a DVD in the PC without problems?

Have you verified that you have no unwelcome guest in the PC - anything that could be hogging the CPU?
    Try scanning with MalwareBytes
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

Post at the VideoHelp site, indicating the types of files that won't playback properly (mp4 avi etc) and include the media player that is in use (VLC, MPC etc).

http://forum.videohelp.com/forums/18-Newbie-General-discussions

6. Betadog

Betadog Member

Just run MalwareBytes - took 20 hours to run!
    No threats detected, though it did block some outgoing & incoming IP addresses.

I've tried running a dvd:
    WMP - glitchy, screen flicker
    VLC - screen freeze, av out of sync
    PowerDVD - plays quite well, just a few horizontal lines randomly appearing.
    Nero - Ran great for 5 min then encountered an error and closed.

I'll post on videohelp, thanks for your help so far.

7. Betadog

Betadog Member

Just noticed all my .avi's seem to play ok on PowerDvd - the version I have (v5) doesn't support mp4s though.