1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BD playback on Dell with PowerDVD DX

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by solariasg, Dec 9, 2009.

1. solariasg

solariasg Member

I have a brand new (3 weeks) Dell Studio 540 Slim bought specifically to go into my home theater system. Computer is used for internet radio, digital audio files, Media Center, and general news via the nice big Sanyo LED HDMI and Onkyo AVR. Also decided to get it configured for DVD and especially BD playback. Every thing is great except BD playback. Gets jerky, sticky, and such (sort of like a slow cache or something) after about 90 minutes of movie playback. Has happened on several BD's. Am having trouble finding a solution and Dell has not been helpful because the problem takes so long to materialize. Any suggestions?

2. alannm

alannm Member

Hi, I too have just bought a Dell Studio Slim 540 with stacks of power and tons of memory but the blu-ray playback was jerky. Found on the dell commmunity site someone with the same problem (different Dell PC but same issue). They advised to delete Dell Datasafe. So I went to .. CONTROL PANEL/UNINSTALL PROGRAMS, and got rid of Dell datasave (3 programs)... and it solved the problem. I now have a brilliant fully working smooth running Blu-Ray drive in my new Dell.
    Hope this solves yours too

3. solariasg

solariasg Member

I have been pulling my hair out to solve this problem. Hours of time watching TaskManager processes to see if I could figure out what was going on. But it was elusive and clearly tied to a bunch of HD activity. I bought a new NVIDIA 98000 card and of course a new power supply to power it. I turned off DellDock...which is useless IMO...and even tried getting rid of virtual disk to solve it. Turning off CCC (Catalyst Control Center) really helped. But it was Toaster that was the problem...I could tell. But I did not know what SW was running it. I mean really...Toaster? What kinda name is that. Based on your clue I noted Dell DataSafe used the same icon as toaster. Viola!! It seems that this was the ticket. I just tried a BD playback and it looks GREAT! Thanks for your help. Now I have a smoking video card and an extra PS that I don't really need. Anybody interested in a good deal?