1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CoreAVC sees no DXVA with Mobility Radeon X1600

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by supercopy, Oct 8, 2012.

1. supercopy

supercopy Member

Hello,

I am trying to play high definition (1920*1080 @60i, M2TS with AVC and AC3) videos shot with my camcorder. A lot of anecdotes I found on the net say my system is fast enough for it, but I still see stuttering. The one main problem I am trying to solve, is that the CoreAVC codec is not detecting DXVA and therefore the CPU has to do all the work.

Hardware:
    Core Duo T2500 (2 cores @ 2.0 GHz)
    1 GB DRAM
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, 256 MB

Software:
    Windows XP SP2
    DirectX 9.0c
    CoreAVC (set to use DXVA, HW deinterlacing, skip deblocking, high preference)
    Media player classic home cinema 1.5, all internal filters disabled
    Also tried with Windows Media Player 9
    AC3Filter used to decode the audio

This is a "clean system" without many apps installed, it was setup from scratch for media playback. No anti-viruses, malware, etc. slowing things down.

I have tried two versions of the ATI (AMD) Radeon X1600 driver:
    8.390 (circa Catalyst 8.9 time frame)
    8.593 (from Catalyst 10.2 legacy driver set, after applying Mobility Modder)

No matter what I do, CoreAVC won't operate in DXVA mode (tray icon remains blue, never turns red). According to MPC-HC, the stack of filters being used looks very simple and correct:
    Haali media splitter
    CoreAVC
    Video renderer
    AC3Filter
    Default directsound device
    ...so there are no extraneous filters slowing things down.

I read lots of old postings (from 2007 and before) reporting success with CoreAVC and DXVA, but also heard mention of ATI somehow messing up DXVA support starting with the Catalyst 9.1 driver. I really want to know, from anybody who got DXVA working on an X1600, what version of the ATI/AMD driver you were using.

Is there any utility to test whether the DXVA API is working/accessible on my system?

Lastly, please do not say "Buy a new computer". There are many off-topic reasons why I need to keep this system.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

that 256meg of ram for the video, is that dedicated ram or part of system ram as i think it is the latter?

3. supercopy

supercopy Member

The X1600 has dedicated GDDR3 SDRAM.

4. ddp

run task manager when the video is stuttering to see what system ram is availabe & free.

5. supercopy

supercopy Member

DDP:
    While playing those HD videos, both CPU cores are maxed out at 100%. No other process is consuming CPU cycles in any significant manner (except perhaps the "Task manager" itself, at 1-2% once in a while).
    I thank you for replying; I'm pretty sure at this point that the T2500 by itself is not able to decompress the frames fast enough, even with an efficient codec like CoreAVC, hence my interest in enabling DXVA as the only possible speed boost that this system can tap into.

6. ddp

try increasing the system ram from 1gig as most likely will see a performance increase. i am presuming this is a laptop because of the mobility radeon.

7. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I'm pretty sure the x1600 doesn't have full blown DXVA support, just a few specific bits of the decoding process. I don't believe that was added until the next generation of GPU.