1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compatibility of different types of DVD Media

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kolz2788, Feb 28, 2010.

1. kolz2788

kolz2788 Member

Hello all, My question is: I have burnt movies onto DVD+R Maxells without problem, as well at DVDR Memorex (not DVD+R or DVD-R, they're labeled DVDR(compatible with both I guess?)). But when I purchased a 50 pack of HP DVD+Rs from newegg... they didn't work. Luckily Newegg reimbursed me and I got to the keep the item, unfortunately they're useless. Now I'm wondering why is my laptop only compatible with certain brands, and are there any brands of DVD media with a high compatibility rate? Thanks for your time everyone, I really appreciate any help I get.

2. attar

attar Senior member

It's not the brand name on the label as such.
    Each disk has a code that identifies who made it.

The burner is made compatible (through it's firmware) with whichever manufacturer codes the makers of the burner see fit to test.
    Some sites (Aopen, LG etc)will publish a list of compatible disk codes for their different burners which you can use to select the disks that they say will burn properly - and the approved burning speed.
    Newer releases of firmware may include more ID codes for suitable disks.

Notwithstanding the approved list, Taiyo-Yuden and Verbatim labelled disks (though not perhaps Verbatim 'Value Series') are reckoned an all round good choice.

The actual codes can be found using the likes of ImgBurn et al.
    The link below lists 'HP' labelled disks.
    You can see that the actual manufacturer codes vary .. MCC 003 are actually made by Verbatim.
    Other HP disks with different codes may not be the same quality.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia?d...rder=Name&hits=50&search=Search+or+List+Media

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  3. kolz2788

kolz2788 Member

okay this is getting kind of annoying. I just went out to wal-mart and bought a 30 pack of Memorex DVD+R. They don't work.... ugh... what do I do..

4. Mrguss

Mrguss Regular member

Up-Grade your Media for a higer quality like T.Y., Verbatim or even TDK will do.

Save your DVD's Maxells for another time when you upgrade your DVD Burner for a new one in the near future.

Good luck !

5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Is your burner's firmware up to date?